Help me with dinner!

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 06:07 pm
I saw this recipe for baked feta cheese in the paper yesterday and it just sounded so good that I bought all the stuff to fix it for dinner tonight. Its a really simple recipe using sauteed peppers, feta, olive oil, and crushed red pepper.

I was thinking of making it more of a salad than an appitizer by serving it on fresh spinach with a little bit of smoked salmon on the side (because I have this stuff on hand).

Still, I'm not sure about this combination and I'm looking for other suggestions (because I have other stuff on hand too).

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,142 • Replies: 11
No top replies

msolga

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 06:58 pm
Sounds good to me, boomerang! Spinach (or other raw greens) sound like they'd compliment the baked cheese dish very nicely: colour, texture & taste. Yum! Can I have some? Very Happy
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:18 pm
I'll put some extra on!

Can you be here in about an hour?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:20 pm
I'm rushing to the airport now, boomerang! Keep that baked cheese warm! Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:25 pm
Sounds good to me too Boomer! A word of dietary caution. I believe that the calcium from the cheese would block some of the absorption of iron from the spinach and the salmon. I can go check my facts in a minute....
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 08:06 pm
I'm a bit concerned that the strong flavours of the fetta combination would overwhelm the more delicate flavours of the smoked salmon.

Does sound good, though - Olga can bring me a doggy bag!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 08:15 pm
mmm, where I'd never really eat fish and cheese together, if she serves the salmon on the side, maybe that could work? She should be done with dinner soon.....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 08:50 pm
I was kind of worried that the salmon wouldn't be quite right but it was all I had on hand. It is a peppered king salmon so it's pretty potent. Still, I'm open to other ideas for the future.

The cheese will be finished baking in just a few minutes and Mr. B just got home.

I'll report back with results.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 09:32 pm
Hey! It turned out really good. I think that there is room for improvement on the salmon area though I'm just not sure what it should be.

But the cheese on the spinach? Yum.

And it was sooooo easy. Here's how you do it for anyone who wants to try it:

Saute some pepper rings (I used red and green) in olive oil.

Get a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil and place a few of the pepper rings in the bottom.

Place (in one layer) a 3/4 inch slice of feta (don't try to use the crumbly kind).

Sprinkle on a bit of oregano and chrushed red pepper then drizzle on a bit more olive oil.

Bake at 375 for about 25 minutes.

Then I slid it out onto the spinach, poured the "sauce" over it all and ate it.

Easy, delicious and no clean up!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 10:11 pm
good job!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 11:07 pm
I think I might try that, boomerang!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 08:21 am
I neglected to mention that you fold up and seal the foil packet before baking!

Let me know if you like it, if you try it msolga. I think I'll be making it again.
0 Replies