Dealing With States in the United States With Permissive Laws Relating to Guns. S

gollum

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 05:06 pm
Let us assume that a company that has been selling its product by mail to customers in all 50 States.

Then the management or Board of that company decides that it does not like the permissive laws relating to guns in certain States.

Would it be legal for that company to refuse to take orders from customers in the permissive States?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,197 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 06:08 pm
@gollum,
You do know they are only shipping to licensed gun dealers, don't you? I suppose "to customers" might not mean individuals, but it certainly doesn't sound that way.
gollum

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 06:27 pm
@roger,
roger-

Thank you.

I should have expressed myself more precisely. I was thinking of a company that does not sell guns. That notwithstanding, its management/Board is not happy with the permissive policy of some States with respect to the sale of guns.

I have read about companies that object to the lack of "marriage equality" in certain States. Some of these companies will cancel events (e.g., conventions) in such States. I think that is analogous.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 06:27 pm
@gollum,
Yes. Companies can sell where they want as long as it doesn't discriminate based on race, gender, etc.
gollum

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 06:38 pm
@engineer,
engineer-

Thank you.

OK. I think States are prohibited from interfering with interstate commerce (U.S. Constitution, Article 1, Section 8) or even granting a preference to the sales of goods or services by its own citizens vis-à-vis the citizens of other States.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 04:39 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:
Would it be legal for that company to refuse to take orders from customers in the permissive States?

Most likely legal. Probably poor business practice though. Profits for their competitors.
0 Replies