I want the motor to turn really slow but I want the light to have full power.

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2016 09:28 am
Hello everyone. I have a simple problem that might be able to solve for me.

Link of schematic provided. http://ewillustration.com/photo2.jpg

Here is the problem. I have a simple led light that has a switch that turns on and off. I have hooked a motor to it so that when i turn on the light the motor turns on with the light.

Here is what i am having problems with. I want the motor to turn really slow but I want the light to have full power. How can I give minimal power to the motor while giving maximum power to the light.

I have already tried to put a resistor going to the motor but that decreases the power to the light as well.

I have already tried to put a governor on the motor but when i slow down the motor the light dims as well?

I want the motor to tun about as fast as a second hand turns on a clock while keeping maximum power going to the light.

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 805 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2016 11:07 am
@ewillustration,
Quote:
I have already tried to put a resistor going to the motor but that decreases the power to the light as well.
Possibly you had miswired and the motor and light were still in parallel. However your description is somewhat puzzling so you should provide a schematic

Quote:
I want the motor to tun about as fast as a second hand
Might not be possible, you might encounter stalling
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2016 11:31 am
Put the resistor in series with the motor.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 11:32 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
....so that the series combo then in parallel with light

However the resistor is wasteful. If it's at all a big motor you might Google for a semiconductor means

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=cool+voltage+drop
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 11:59 am
@dalehileman,
Quote:
However the resistor is wasteful. If it's at all a big motor you might Google for a semiconductor means

It's a tiny permanent-magnet toy type motor, the kind than runs off a dry cell. I agree the resistor is wasteful but batteries are cheap. Better to use a variable resistor to get the speed right.

dalehileman

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 11:33 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Trouble with resistor of course Tes is that speed then more dependent on load
0 Replies