Antivir vs Norton? Which is better?

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 06:03 am
Friends are telling me that Antivir (a free program) is better than Norton.

My Norton subscription is due for renewal, and I am wondering what you other computer savvy folk think????

(No offense to the friends - who I am sure know of what they speak - but I just wanted to check other folk's thoughts as well, because I always thought Norton pretty good, and I am kind of attached to it!)

Friend wrote:

"I use Mandrake Linux, but I know, that Norton is not a good scanner. It need to much system resources , have a bad detection rate and is expensive .
I suggest the renowned Antivir , it is free aviable and the detection is high. If you start the program, shortly update the program
Informations and download there: http://www.free-av.com/ "

My Norton includes a firewall, which, I gather, Antivir does not.

Any firewall suggestions if I change? Especially free ones??? Do I NEED a firewall?

Thanks to any savvy folk who reply.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,992 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 06:28 am
Re: Antivir vs Norton? Which is better?
dlowan wrote:
Thok and Neohihp are telling me that Antivir (a free program) is better than Norton.

I disagree very strongly with that. In fact, I think it is one of the worst AV programs on the market and only gets a passing nod (or worse yet, an endorsement) from anyone because it's free.

I am deeply involved in security these days (more and more so now that I am involved in corporate IT and corporate server administration).

I have tested this extensively for deployment in companies and it, quite frankly, is not worth even a free price.

It:

a) Has a slower turnaround for defs, meaning the window for new exploits to get you is far larger than with Norton.

Since new exploits always constitute the bulk of infections this alone makes it worthless.

b) The update infrastructure is not as sound as Nortons, and in a pinch this can make a big difference.

c) Their useability for non-techies is an eyesore as the alerts and functionality are rudimentary and flawed.

d) Their false positives are far far too high because of a ridiculous heuristics engine that in my tests just made me pissed at their willingness to market such crap.

e) In my personal tests on my malicious code libraries they detected the least number of viruses (and my library is all OLD stuff, and usually the most famous stuff) of any software I have recently tested. The detection rates they achieve should make them be required to use this disclaimer "will do a piss-poor job at identifying viruses".

f) Their update software is fatally flawed in that they do not deploy changelog updates and instead make you download the whole definition library each time. This is one of the most idiotic ways to update an AV program even if it's the simplest (which is why it works this way, simple crappy software cuts corners).

Quite frankly, all of the free ones have serious downsides*, and this isn't even the best free one out there.

*This is due to the nature of AV protection. 90% of the quality difference is not in the program but in the update framework and the definition speed and quality.

Those are factors that are invariably affected by money. Norton is simply the best around hands down.

Quote:
My Norton subscription is due for renewal, and I am wondering what you other computer savvy folk think????

Well, I'll stop there, I could go on. Bottom line is that it's the worst AV program I have tested. Norton is the best that I have tested.

Quote:
Thok wrote:

"I use Mandrake Linux, but I know, that Norton is not a good scanner. It need to much system resources , have a bad detection rate and is expensive .

Norton is:

a) expensive (compared to free)
b) uses more system resources (compared to a program that can't do nearly as well as it)

Norton does not have a bad detection rate.

Quote:

Norton's firewall is mediocre. Norton AV is a good program, other elements in Norton's suites are not as good.

You can get Norton with or without a firewall depending on what suite you use.

On most of my boxes I used a plain Norton AV, and only keep the suites for when I need them (rarely).

Quote:
Any firewall suggestions if I change? Especially free ones??? Do I NEED a firewall?

Windows XP has the firewall I recommend (for a variety of reasons) but it is not the best one.

The best free one is either sygate or zonealarm.

I have reasons for disliking zonealarm (unecessary bloat).

If you have XP, my recommendation is their firewall, even if it is a one-way firewall.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:05 am
Thank you Craven!!!!!!

And, of course, I DO have the XP firewall!!! Brainfart.

I will renew with Norton.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:17 am
If you are looking for some good free antivirus, try www.avast.com
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:24 am
I think I will stick with Norton, G - I was just checking cos folk had said the other was better than Norton...

I have not got viruses that everyone else got so I am happy.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 08:58 am
Avast, AntiVir, AVG, & F-Prot for DOS...the 4 most famous free virus scanners -- I'd never use any of them myself. They simply don't compare with Norton AV.

I exclusively use Symantec's Norton AntiVirus...home editions, corporate editions & their antivirus for MS Exchange. All quality products. Their anti-virus lab is also the most trusted in the world.

One thing some people might be interested in, though...There's a special promotion through 02/1/05 by Computer Associates (CA), where if go to http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/ you can download their antivirus product free for one year. I haven't tried it, but I know from past experience that CA makes a pretty good product & they use comparatively little system resources, but I still wouldn't use them over Norton. (Note that the special promotion is available only through the link I posted above...if you don't add "/microsoft/" on the end of that URL, you won't be getting it free for a year.)

By the way, Norton AV 2005 just came out very recently, & you can get $20 off if you're upgrading.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 09:04 am
I changed from Norton (after using it for three years) to AntiVir, which I use now for more than four years.

I like it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 09:12 am
Monger wrote:
Avast, AntiVir, AVG, & F-Prot for DOS...the 4 most famous free virus scanners -- I'd never use any of them myself. They simply don't compare with Norton AV.

I exclusively use Symantec's Norton AntiVirus...home editions, corporate editions & their antivirus for MS Exchange. All quality products. Their anti-virus lab is also the most trusted in the world.

One thing some people might be interested in, though...There's a special promotion through 02/1/05 by Computer Associates (CA), where if go to http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/ you can download their antivirus product free for one year. I haven't tried it, but I know from past experience that CA makes a pretty good product & they use comparatively little system resources, but I still wouldn't use them over Norton. (Note that the special promotion is available only through the link I posted above...if you don't add "/microsoft/" on the end of that URL, you won't be getting it free for a year.)

By the way, Norton AV 2005 just came out very recently, & you can get $20 off if you're upgrading.

Interesting - thank you Monger!

I just renewed - and noticed they were offering two upgraded products - for roughly twice - and then another $10 - what I was paying just to renew.

I chose to go with the same product I now have - the basic model, I guess.

For the dilettante, Luddite, home user such as myself, I assume that is adequate?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 12:16 pm
At the Symantec Website, Norton AV 2005 costs $50, & $30 for an upgrade. I believe a Norton AV 1-year subscription renewal costs the same price: $30.

Anyone thinking to renew their subscription just now would be well-advised to just buy the upgrade to '05, as you'll get a fresh 12 month subscription that way, too.

But, bunny, if you've already paid for an updated subscription, methinks it's no biggie...I use the 2003 version on my home PC (I wouldn't recommend using versions prior to that) & won't be upgrading till my subscription expires in a couple months.

By the way, one thing Symantec introduced with the 2004 version of Norton AV was detection of some keyloggers, spyware & other non-virus threats...but Symantec still has a long way to go with that as Spybot & Ad-Aware still beat it in that area hands down.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 01:49 pm
I figured I'd check into the Aussie $ price & saw that Norton AV 2005 isn't yet available on www.symantec.com.au ...I guess one could still buy a download off the US site, if they couldn't wait for internationalized versions to be released.
0 Replies

hihp

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 02:03 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Thok and Neohihp are telling me that Antivir (a free program) is better than Norton.

I disagree very strongly with that. In fact, I think it is one of the worst AV programs on the market and only gets a passing nod (or worse yet, an endorsement) from anyone because it's free.

Frankly, that is not true. Of course right now I can't find it, but a while ago there was a test by (yes, I know) a German computer magazine, and even though AntiVir didn't score in the top, it was a pretty good middle.

Quote:
d) Their false positives are far far too high because of a ridiculous heuristics engine that in my tests just made me pissed at their willingness to market such crap.

This one I found strange - I've never had a false positive, and I've been using it a long time. Actually, whenever I have a virus alert (which is rather rare as my email server does virus scanning and I set my accoutn up in a way that virus mails are deleted instantly) it's correct (even though unnecessary, because my email program doesn't execute stuff at all without explicit user interaction).

Quote:
f) Their update software is fatally flawed in that they do not deploy changelog updates and instead make you download the whole definition library each time. This is one of the most idiotic ways to update an AV program even if it's the simplest (which is why it works this way, simple crappy software cuts corners).

One could also say "free software cuts corners". It's free. You can't expect a free program to be the same as a commercial one, evne though AntiVir actually shares code with their commercial product from what I gather.

Quote:
90% of the quality difference is not in the program but in the update framework and the definition speed and quality.

This is, I think, the most important part: an AV scanner only can do its job if the environment is right.

If people use Internet Explorer and Outlook Express and surf with an Administrator user, it's really a tough job to keep all malicious code from being executed. Expensive AV software might be a bit better to advance an unsecure system, but it won't be able to prevent everything.
If however you take the necessary measures to make the system secure, the AV scanner is a double net - should something actually manage to get onto your computer AND be executed, the AV is supposed to catch that. These other measures, however, should help in keeping most away so that actually it "takes time" for a virus to get into the system (e.g. if a virus slips a false link into an actualy email from an infected friend or something... THOSE are the virues I'm waiting for) - and then even the cheaper AV will be updated (if you do that often enough. AntiVir usually gets updated twice a day, I think.).

Quote:
Those are factors that are invariably affected by money. Norton is simply the best around hands down.

In detection? Maybe, I don't have the facilities to test that.

But Norton has a problem: it makes the system rather unstable. I have a lot of friends who run Norton and often have trouble; I've also seen lots of people in Usenet report problems that vanish after an uninstall of Norton.

Quote:
Quote:

Norton's firewall is mediocre. Norton AV is a good program, other elements in Norton's suites are not as good.

Frankly, a firewall is an unnecessary thign most of the times. I'd recommend using a firewall if people want to prevent programs on their computer from "calling home", but in order to make your system more secure against the outside, it's much more important to set up Windows correctly, i.e. turn off unnecessary services and therefore disabling ports, turnign of NetBIOS and things like that.

Quote:

I hope the emphasis lies on "free".

Quote:

Yeah. Like, one for me is that ZoneAlarm prevented legitimate network access on the machine of a co-worker.

Oh, I forgot: we're talking a deactivated ZoneAlarm installation here.

I actually had to uninstall ZoneAlarm and manually root out its files in order to get the system working.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 03:31 pm
Very interesting discussion!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 03:34 pm
Monger wrote:
I figured I'd check into the Aussie $ price & saw that Norton AV 2005 isn't yet available on www.symantec.com.au ...I guess one could still buy a download off the US site, if they couldn't wait for internationalized versions to be released.

That's interesting. I will check on what they ARE offering - as I said, I went with a basic renewal - and mine IS 2003.

As a matter of interest - would a US version be different in its effectiveness for an Oz computer from an internationalized version?

I am wondering what might be different.
0 Replies

hihp

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 04:48 pm
dlowan wrote:
As a matter of interest - would a US version be different in its effectiveness for an Oz computer from an internationalized version?

Maybe the language? <duck> ;-)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 04:57 pm
Hmmm - so called Anglicized versions of US software stuff usually still has the wrong spelling.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:04 pm
dlowan wrote:
Monger wrote:

That's interesting. I will check on what they ARE offering - as I said, I went with a basic renewal - and mine IS 2003.

The only differences I would expect between the US & Aussie version would be some spelling & the length of shipping time. (Which is why I mentioned purchasing a download...so there wouldn't be any delay.) Right now Symantec's Auz-NZ site offers Norton AV 2004, but I'd imagine it won't be long till they start promoting '05.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 09:44 pm
Thanks to all for responding.
My Norton is due for renewal, too!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 09:49 pm
Man - Mona has a big number!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 10:05 pm
hihp wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Frankly, that is not true. Of course right now I can't find it, but a while ago there was a test by (yes, I know) a German computer magazine, and even though AntiVir didn't score in the top, it was a pretty good middle.

I am aware that it scores in mid range in many tests (many of whom do not do security lab testing, but merely "install and check it out" testing), but sometimes the difference between one and two is substantial and in the AV market this is the case, the difference from 2 to middle is night and day.

Perhaps it's hyperbole to say it's one of the worst on the market when you consider all the completely non-functional ones out there, but that it scores among mid range doesn't mean it's not shoddy.

With virus protection grading on the curve doesn't make sense.

Quote:
Quote:

One could also say "free software cuts corners". It's free. You can't expect a free program to be the same as a commercial one, evne though AntiVir actually shares code with their commercial product from what I gather.

In many cases, free programs actually outperform all of the commercial ones out there. But AV isn't one of those cases.

Quote:
Quote:
90% of the quality difference is not in the program but in the update framework and the definition speed and quality.

This is, I think, the most important part: an AV scanner only can do its job if the environment is right.

If people use Internet Explorer and Outlook Express and surf with an Administrator user, it's really a tough job to keep all malicious code from being executed. Expensive AV software might be a bit better to advance an unsecure system, but it won't be able to prevent everything.
If however you take the necessary measures to make the system secure, the AV scanner is a double net - should something actually manage to get onto your computer AND be executed, the AV is supposed to catch that. These other measures, however, should help in keeping most away so that actually it "takes time" for a virus to get into the system (e.g. if a virus slips a false link into an actualy email from an infected friend or something... THOSE are the virues I'm waiting for) - and then even the cheaper AV will be updated (if you do that often enough. AntiVir usually gets updated twice a day, I think.).

Whether or not a computer is secured the turnaround for definitions is important, as the new exploits are often holes that could not have been secured before it was discivered.

Take, for example, the buffer overrun exploits from software like Real Player (never really became a widespread threat because of the exploit characteristics).

Until they are found there's not really a way to secure them. The update frequency is not the critical factor, it's the speed in writing a suitable definition.

Some hackers have actually followed this progress and claimed that the turnaround was slow. I haven't done so personally, but have noted that when new variants come out, it's npot nearly as fast as Norton in producing a def that actually blocks it.

When it did snag new ones in my tests it's almost always on the basis of heuristics.

Quote:
Quote:

In detection? Maybe, I don't have the facilities to test that.

Hee hee, I get all my samples from Germany. I'm away from home, but I can send you information you need if you ever want to make your own lil' security lab.

I only test to evaluate security software for our IT department, and don't get into the code too deeply.

And with Norton, it's a pain to try to do anything with the malicious code samples even when I want to (which is a good thing when you don't want the code to do anything).

Quote:
But Norton has a problem: it makes the system rather unstable. I have a lot of friends who run Norton and often have trouble; I've also seen lots of people in Usenet report problems that vanish after an uninstall of Norton.

Norton suffers from what a lot of software suffers from; bloat.

Especially their suites. This is why I recommend against things like Norton System Works and especially their Win Doctor.

It's like having two OSes in many ways and the sheer dept of their involvement in the OS means they will be party to a lot more conflicts.

Their AV runs a little heavy as well, and I usually disable some of the plugins and registry tweaks it makes.

You seem to do a lot of what an AV program protects from manually, and with users who can do this a lighter footprint is more desireable.

For Corporate IT infrastructure and for advising people like dlowan a more heavy AV program but less involved user is not just preferable, it's a necessity.

Quote:
Frankly, a firewall is an unnecessary thign most of the times. I'd recommend using a firewall if people want to prevent programs on their computer from "calling home", but in order to make your system more secure against the outside, it's much more important to set up Windows correctly, i.e. turn off unnecessary services and therefore disabling ports, turnign of NetBIOS and things like that.

Basically, you are recommending that users do all that a firewall would do manually.

I do this very often, it's called "hardening" an OS. Thing is, I do not believe dlowan could do this even if she wanted too.

So a firewall would be good to protect from various threats from outside.

All of the big threats from the last year (like blaster) would be prevented simply by enabling the firewall. Lots of minor annoyances like messenger spam popups are stopped by a basic firewall as well.

Sure, you can turn off all those holes. But in IT, the advice can't always be to be a geek and sometimes had to be tyailored to a luddite.

Expecting a luddite to harden an OS is unrealistic.

Quote:
Quote:

I hope the emphasis lies on "free".

Free and software. A much better solution would be a hardware firewall.

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah. Like, one for me is that ZoneAlarm prevented legitimate network access on the machine of a co-worker.

That is what software firewalls do unless you tell them otherwise (and it's not always easy to do so).

Windows XP's firewall used to make it impossible to do so, but their latest version does (despite what a lot of security experts say, the firewall was actually improved on, not just enabled by defaul in the SP2).

Quote:
Oh, I forgot: we're talking a deactivated ZoneAlarm installation here.

Ask Phoenix what I think of Zone Alarm, it's bloatware. Thing is, it works better than XP's old firewall in some ways (it's a 2-way firewall).

Either way, my software recommendation always has been the XP firewall.

Quote:
I actually had to uninstall ZoneAlarm and manually root out its files in order to get the system working.

Odd that. But hey, I'm not gonna defend ZA, I always tell people to get rid of 'em.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 10:16 pm
Well, I know I am "people like dlowan" and a Luddite.

But hey - it'd make me feel a little better if you at least used a capital "L".......
0 Replies