3
   

Can Zombie Movies be Considered Dystopic ...

 
 
Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 02:17 pm
When they depict a postapocolyptic landscape where society and civilization as a whole is decimated and completely gone?

For me? A dystopia doesn't necessarily mean post-Apocalypse.
Creating this British based dystopia poll suggestion and wonder if 28 Days Later should be included?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 917 • Replies: 6
No top replies

 
View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
Tes yeux noirs
  Selected Answer
 
  2  
Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 02:26 pm
Maybe, if you mean that a dystopia is "an imagined place or state in which everything is unpleasant or bad, typically a totalitarian or environmentally degraded one", as many dictionaries will say.

Everthing being unpleasant or bad including the scriptwriting of the last season (or maybe two) of "The Walking Dead".

However, there is a more subtle meaning for 'dystopian novel' which is that dystopian novels portray a society, usually of the future, that has arrived at the destination we’re all headed for if we don’t change now. Gulliver's Travels, 1984, Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451, etc all depicted societies extrapolated from the worst aspects of the current society when they were written, and serve to warn about them. I don't think sudden unpredictable zombie-disease epidemics count if you use that definition.

mark noble
 
  -1  
Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2016 02:14 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
All seasons of 'Walking-bollux', 'Game of boloux', are dystopian.
Because - There is a reality that prevails beyond 'box-set' shite.
0 Replies
 
oralloy
 
  1  
Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2016 02:25 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
When they depict a postapocolyptic landscape where society and civilization as a whole is decimated and completely gone?

Do the zombies themselves have a society (like the Forsaken in World of Warcraft), or are they just mindless automatons?
tsarstepan
 
  1  
Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2016 06:50 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:
When they depict a postapocolyptic landscape where society and civilization as a whole is decimated and completely gone?

Do the zombies themselves have a society (like the Forsaken in World of Warcraft), or are they just mindless automatons?

Most zombie movies are mindless automatons.
Warm Bodies (2013) depicts the zombie victims going through the motions of habitual daily life. Going to the grocery store, going to their workplace, etc... but not actual doing anything when they get there other then moping and milling around.

There isn't any particular British based zombie movie I can think of that touches upon a somewhat organized zombie based society/civilization ... though someone should make one (either parody, dark comedy, or a seriously deep horror movie)....
0 Replies
 
tsarstepan
 
  1  
Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2016 06:57 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

Everthing being unpleasant or bad including the scriptwriting of the last season (or maybe two) of "The Walking Dead".

The Walking Dead does have an organized societal part in a couple of seasons: The hospital setting; the Governor's community; and the gated community filled with really naive goofs. But I'm looking for more specific British sited zombie films that could be defined as dystopic. I don't see either 28 Days Later (though there is a rogue military aspect in the latter acts) or Shaun of the Dead resembling anything like that.

Quote:
However, there is a more subtle meaning for 'dystopian novel' which is that dystopian novels portray a society, usually of the future, that has arrived at the destination we’re all headed for if we don’t change now. Gulliver's Travels, 1984, Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451, etc all depicted societies extrapolated from the worst aspects of the current society when they were written, and serve to warn about them. I don't think sudden unpredictable zombie-disease epidemics count if you use that definition.

Ultimately, that's what I'm aiming for. My poll suggestion is an ambiguous shot at Brexit.
mark noble
 
  1  
Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2016 07:12 am
@tsarstepan,
Well stated.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

 
  1. Forums
  2. » Can Zombie Movies be Considered Dystopic ...
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2019 at 10:47:33