Arab world also in shock

McTag

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 01:13 pm
au1929 wrote:
McT
What does the war in Iraq to do with the heartless barbarity of the Moslem terrorists?

Let's compare and contrast.

One man rounds up some schoolchildren and adults, threatens to kill them, then kills them, and dies there.

Another man sends his air force to kill thousands of civilians as collateral damage in an illegal and immoral war, and smirks.

You're right, there is a difference. One man is deranged, if brave, and the other is a smirking chimp, a coward, and a war criminal.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 01:38 pm
McGentrix wrote:
when did Bush Kill anyone? also, I thought it was common knowledge amongst Bush opponents that he is slighty smarter than a monkey, yet here you claim that he tricked almost every single congress person into believing he was right about needing to invade Iraq.

I wish you guys would make up your minds, is he a smirking chimp, or a brilliant genius?

The original vote, you will recall, was for the power to invade Afghanistan, where the perpetrators of 9/11 were believed to be based. That's what Congress, God help them, thought they were voting for. (I wonder how that vote would go today, now that most of the facts are out?)

Then, the "axis of evil" and "war on terror" rhetoric, and the application of the oft-quoted Hermann Goering principle.
Anyone who did not support our boys was a traitor, criticism of the administration was tantamount to treason, the Europeans were appeasers, etc etc. Authorative voices who would speak up against this while the troops were in action, were few, lamentably so: and right-wing control of the mass media ensures that informed dissent is stifled.

Whip up a lot of fear, feed the xenophobia, tell the waverers that you are bringing democracy and apple pie to the middle east, and there you have it: 50% of the population duped into supporting a criminal. Simple.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 01:43 pm
"right-wing control of the mass media" Laughing Laughing

They wish they did!! Laughing
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 01:43 pm
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 02:09 pm
McT wrote
Quote:
The original vote, you will recall, was for the power to invade Afghanistan, where the perpetrators of 9/11 were believed to be based. That's what Congress, God help them, thought they were voting for. (I wonder how that vote would go today, now that most of the facts are out?)

What are you talking about? The sanction to Invade Afghanistan and the congressional vote giving Bush the authority to attack Iraq if need be were two separate and distinct actions. I would add that the action against Afghanistan was completely justified. Unfortunately, it was as all things done by our present regime not carried through to a successful conclusion. And it is now coming back, as the saying goes, to bite us in the A$$.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 02:12 pm
Mct
Your last post is out in left field somewhere. What in heavens name has it to do with the ongoing discussion?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 03:16 pm
Buggerall, you are right, I posted it in the wrong forum. Apologies. Interesting, though.
0 Replies

gpastonmartinlover

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 04:35 pm
Mine Question
It is my understanding that the mines, actually nail bombs (8'' long pieces of C4 explosive filled with nails, screws, bolts, ect.) were connected to pressure switches. When the tangos stepped off the pads to fire at the russian hostage rescue troops, the bombs went off. It is interesting to note that in this incident, explosives were set to collapse the roof of the gym, just as there were two huge bombs set to collapse the roof of the theatre in moscow. Same MO. Also, it has become clear that the tangos opened fire on a Russian BTR-80 armored personell carrier converted to an ambulance WITH a red cross on the roof. The only reason the Russians returned fire was that the BTR was under fire from a 12.7mm DHsK heavy machine gun that -might- have penetrated the armor. Also, a russian sniper thought he saw a tango aim an RPG-18 anti tank rocket at the APC. THAT is what started the whole mess. period
0 Replies