Arab world also in shock

au1929

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 05:57 am
Arab world also in shock

BY DON SINGLETON
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

The bloody siege of a Russian school by Chechen rebels brought widespread condemnation and soul-searching in the Islamic world yesterday.Arab newspapers and television broadcasts were full of dramatic photographs of the children killed and injured in the siege by Islamic rebels demanding Chechen independence from Russia. Commentators and clerics put a harsh spotlight on those who kill and maim in Islam's name.

"What is the guilt of those children? Why should they be responsible for your conflict with the government?" Egypt's top Muslim cleric, Grand Sheik Mohammed Sayed Tantawi, asked during a sermon in Banha, 30 miles north of Cairo.

"You are taking Islam as a cover and it is a deceptive cover. Those who carry out the kidnappings are criminals, not Muslims," said Tantawi, according to Egypt's Middle East News agency.

Yesterday's headline over the daily column by Abdulrahman Al-Rashed in the pan-Arab Asharq Al-Awsat newspaper was "The Painful Truth: All the World Terrorists Are Muslims!"

The column by Al-Rashed, general manager of Al-Arabiya television, listed recent attacks by Islamic extremist groups in Russia, Iraq, Sudan, Saudi Arabia and Yemen, many influenced by Al Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden.

"Our terrorist sons are an end product of our corrupted culture," said the columnist, noting that "most perpetrators of suicide operations in buses, schools and residential buildings around the world for the past 10 years have been Muslims."

Al-Rashed called on Muslims to "admit the scandalous facts" instead of rationalizing them.

The Chechen hostage-takers sullied Islam's image, wrote the Egyptian Islamist Ahmed Bahgat in his column in Egypt's leading pro-government newspaper, Al-Ahram.

"If all the enemies of Islam united together and decided to harm it ... they wouldn't have ruined and harmed its image as much as the sons of Islam have done by their stupidity, miscalculations and misunderstanding of the nature of this age," Bahgat wrote.

Could it be that this is a wakeup call to the Moslem world? The West may be able to contain to an extent Moslem terrorism but they will IMO never be able to "Win the war on terrorism". That can only be won from within. When the rational and sane people in the Moslem world become partners in the war.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,747 • Replies: 47
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 06:09 am
Good question.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 02:57 pm
Re: Arab world also in shock
au1929 wrote:
The West may be able to contain to an extent Moslem terrorism but they will IMO never be able to "Win the war on terrorism". That can only be won from within. When the rational and sane people in the Moslem world become partners in the war.

Take a feeekin' bow au. Too true.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 03:16 pm
That is a very interesting and encouraging article au. Thanks.
0 Replies

Smartsux

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 03:29 pm
The Washington Post implied that it was an accident the mines went off in the first place, but how could that have happened? WHat do you all think?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 03:36 pm
Was it an accident when they shot children who were running away in the back. I can't even begin to describe how I feel about those unfeeling savages.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 03:38 pm
Yes, the "rational and sane people in the muslim world" have to be supported, and promoted. That's the only rational way forward.

Is GWB and his administration the right agency for the job?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 03:44 pm
Mct
I am not even sure that Bush is the right man for the job of dog catcher.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 11:23 pm
Seems to me the "Axis of Evil" xenophobic rhetoric is the wrong way to go.

No More Years.
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 12:25 am
Hope it'll work out (although what really matters is the attitude of Saudi and Iranian clerics).

However, it looks like Putin really aches to go to war. This is how his last speech sounds. "We were attacked because we were weak".

Hmm strange, not a word on Al Jazeera.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 06:31 am
Galilite
Why would one expect the terrorists organ to comment.
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 06:40 am
au1929 wrote:
Galilite
Why would one expect the terrorists organ to comment.
Al Jazeera is not a terrorists' organ.

They are not 100% objective, but it looks like they're trying to be. I remember one time when they interviewed Israeli president Moshe Katzav live.

Although I must say that their attitude becomes more and more biased recently. Currently they use those common cliches from Arabic press, but it wasn't this way half year ago or so. Still, at least they don't report about "heroic attack on aggressor" every time a bus with kids goes off, like Syrian TV does.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 06:43 am
Muslim terrorists organs won't respond until they get those 72 virgins in heaven. Here is an interesting completely irrelevant link, but does it truly represent a conspiracy? You be the judge: http://www.gwbush04.com/archives/000110.php
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 06:51 am
Galilite

Quote:

Yes, and the fox news isn't a right wing organ.
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:08 am
au1929 wrote:
Galilite
Quote:

I think you should see the entire spectrum:
Here's a good selection.

By the way, re Arab world's reaction:

Conspiracy theories.
Self criticism.
A Saudi Arab state newspaper. Very colorful
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 09:26 am
au1929 wrote:
Galilite

Quote:

No, that's quite right, Al Jazeera is not a terrorists/ fundamentalists organ.

They present the news from an Arab perspective, and they come under attack from both sides.

I think they try to be objective.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 09:43 am
McT
Sorry to disagree with your assessment. Reporting news from the Arab perspective would seem to me just another way of describing bias.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 09:51 am
So you aren't really different to those Arabians who say, reporting news from the US/western perspective is just another way of describing bias. :wink:
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 10:00 am
Perhaps the IRA etc. are the only exception to this rule?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 10:01 am
au1929 wrote:
McT
Sorry to disagree with your assessment. Reporting news from the Arab perspective would seem to me just another way of describing bias.

That's a bit like saying, my news is balanced, your news is slanted.

Or, I don't speak with an accent, but you (others) do.
0 Replies