Arab world also in shock

au1929

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 10:03 am
Walter
Bias news is biased news no matter who serves it up.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 10:12 am
As usual the thread has drifted far afield. Would anyone care to offer any additional comments or opinions on the original question?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 10:25 am
au1929 wrote:
As usual the thread has drifted far afield. Would anyone care to offer any additional comments or opinions on the original question?

Yes. On our news today, a muslim leader was quoted as saying "not all muslims are terrorists, but we must address the fact that all terrorists are muslims".

You may disagree with him in the matter of degree, but I see this as a hopeful sign that muslims are wakening up to the disservice that the militant fundamentalists are doing to the whole community. And, are willing to discuss this openly.
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 12:18 am
McTag wrote:
You may disagree with him in the matter of degree, but I see this as a hopeful sign that muslims are wakening up to the disservice that the militant fundamentalists are doing to the whole community. And, are willing to discuss this openly.
Ditto.

Thanks, McTag.

It seems that the protests are mostly coming from Egyptian intellectuals and some Saudi clerics (the latter is particularly important). The subject is also covered in Jordanian press, and, surprisingly, in Palestinian as well.

Looks like the rest are silent :-( .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 09:30 pm
Galilite wrote:
.Hmm strange, not a word on Al Jazeera.

Huh?

(Full article:
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/CF9D5C94-D41B-48AE-AAB4-27757A836650.htm )

"Angry Russians rally against siege

Wednesday 08 September 2004, 5:30 Makka Time, 2:30 GMT

Protesters in St Petersburg have condemned terrorism

Hundreds of thousands of people gathered for "anti-terror" rallies throughout Russia amid mounting rage over the bloody end to the hostage siege in North Ossetia.

As Russians mark their second day of official mourning for the victims, many are outraged at the government's handling of the crisis.

On Monday, scores of schoolchildren killed in the siege were laid to rest in an overflowing cemetery amid wrenching grief in the town of Beslan, in the southern republic of North Ossetia.

A three-day-old stand-off at Beslan's main school ended in carnage on Friday after security forces stormed the building following a series of explosions.

Officially, 335 people - half of them children - are confirmed dead and more than 400 people, including 225 children, remain in hospital.

Officials say 18 of the estimated 1000 people held hostage by separatists demanding independence for Chechnya are still unaccounted for, their families unable to find them either in morgues or hospitals.

The catastrophe was the worst of its kind in modern Russian history and was only the latest in a string of recent attacks that included the downing of two passenger jets and a bombing outside a crowded Moscow subway station................"

And: http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/D912A698-6A20-4072-AE34-3AAA6DC40B50.htm

"Russia mourns its dead

Monday 06 September 2004, 8:23 Makka Time, 5:23 GMT

Beslan town is to continue the grim task of burying victims

Russia, stunned by the deaths of more than 300 people in the country's worst ever hostage crisis, has begun an official period of national mourning.

President Vladimir Putin declared two days of national mourning from Monday. All flags are to fly at half mast over government buildings and entertainment programmes will be pulled off the air, the Kremlin said.

In the grief-stricken town of Beslan, the grim task of burying the victims was set to continue.

Dozens of well-wishers on Sunday laid red carnations and plastic bottles of water at the wreckage of School Number One, its charred remains a haunting memory to a three-day standoff that ended with a massacre in some of the most violent scenes in recent Russian history.

The water bottles were a stark symbol of how the children were left without water or food by their captors, who demanded independence for separatist Chechnya........."

And: http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/C4A64AC8-6ACF-4DB2-A94C-AAA456E7F5F0.htm

"Putin vows reform of security service

Saturday 04 September 2004, 17:28 Makka Time, 14:28 GMT

Terrorists have declared war on Russia, says the president

Russian President Vladimir Putin has called for a new approach to law enforcement in the wake of the school hostage crisis that has killed more than 340 people.

He also pledged on Saturday that the reform would be in accordance with the nation's constitution.

Putin said "international terrorists had declared a full-scale war" against Russia, and that due to the collapse of the Soviet Union, the nation was weakened and unable to respond as effectively as it must.

"In general, we need to admit that we did not show an understanding of the complexities and dangers of the processes occurring in our own country and in the world," he said in a grim televised address to the nation.

"In any case, we couldn't adequately react... We showed weakness, and weak people are beaten." ................"

And: http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/4C3621EC-30EB-455E-84C8-CA7D7265A075.htm

"Putin closes borders

Saturday 04 September 2004, 10:50 Makka Time, 7:50 GMT

Russia's president has warned against sympathising with rebels

Facing questions about his handling of a school siege that has left over 320 dead, President Vladimir Putin has sealed the town of Beslan and closed the region's borders to catch fugitive hostage-takers.

About four armed hostage-takers are believed to have escaped the storming of the school, which ended a two-day siege in the southern Russian province of North Ossetia.

"I have ordered Beslan to be sealed off, Ossetia's borders to be closed and checks to be carried out to find all people linked to the terrorist act," Putin said on Saturday.

Silent throughout the drama in which hundreds of children were held hostage in Beslan, Putin paid a three-hour visit to the shocked town........"

And: http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/3FCF8385-A41E-4F42-BA08-AA9B574BD1F2.htm

There is also a photo essay of the tragic funerals.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 09:31 pm
Or - did you mean a word of condemnation???? Or ABOUT the condemnation???
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 06:03 am
dlowan wrote:
Or - did you mean a word of condemnation???? Or ABOUT the condemnation???
Yes, exactly - I saw neither.
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:15 am
All Islamists are not terrorists but all terrorists are Islamo-facists. Lying is a way of living for these non-people.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:29 am
I am very surprised to learn that the narco-terrorists of the Sendero Luminoso in Peru and Bolivia, as well as the renegade Provo and UDF narco-terrorists in Ulster are Islamo-facists. In fact, i'd warrant they would be surprised to learn of that themselves.

Somebody lend Chuck a vowell, huh? It appears he can't afford to buy one.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:30 am
Do you mean terrorists or Muslims when you say non-people, Chuck?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 01:36 pm
Bush killed a lot more innocent people including children than the Chechen militants did, and he did it with your tax dollars and a smirk.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 01:39 pm
I must have missed that McTag. When did he do that?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:27 am
When he tricked Congress, by lying, into allowing him to prosecute a war, largely by air power, against a virtually defenceless nation which was not involved in the 9/11 attack.

And, shifted his xenophobic rhetoric to suit the occasion thereafter.

Lots of dollars. Lots of smirks. No morality. No common sense. No basis in law.

Shame on him, and shame on all his apologists.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:43 am
McT
What does the war in Iraq to do with the heartless barbarity of the Moslem terrorists? I am no Bush apologist but your analogy if that what it was, is way off base. What the Chechen rebels did is can only be equated with the atrocities of the Germans during WW2.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:54 am
au1929 wrote:
What the Chechen rebels did is can only be equated with the atrocities of the Germans during WW2.

Interesting, au, that you obviously differ between Chechen rebels and other Chechens, but Germans in general did atrocities during WWII.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:59 am
McTag wrote:
When he tricked Congress, by lying, into allowing him to prosecute a war, largely by air power, against a virtually defenceless nation which was not involved in the 9/11 attack.

And, shifted his xenophobic rhetoric to suit the occasion thereafter.

Lots of dollars. Lots of smirks. No morality. No common sense. No basis in law.

Shame on him, and shame on all his apologists.

You said:

Quote:
Bush killed a lot more innocent people including children than the Chechen militants did, and he did it with your tax dollars and a smirk.

Again, when did Bush Kill anyone? also, I thought it was common knowledge amongst Bush opponents that he is slighty smarter than a monkey, yet here you claim that he tricked almost every single congress person into believing he was right about needing to invade Iraq.

I wish you guys would make up your minds, is he a smirking chimp, or a brilliant genius?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 08:07 am
McGentrix is right. Bush hasn't killed anyone. He sent others to do it. You didn't expect George to actually get in a fighter plane and go do it, did you?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 08:31 am
Walter Hinteler
Would Nazi's be more to your liking. Oh! but as I remember, after the war there was not a NAZI to be found in Germany.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 08:42 am
au

I know of your deep hate against Arabs and Germans in special.

I'll try not to debate with you.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 09:04 am
Walter
You continue to bring the subject up and than complain about my response. In addition when I said Germans you immediately took exception, and read into it something that was not there. But of course that has been common in your reactions and responses to me.
PS I do not hate Arabs. I have no use for the Arab terrorists. As for hate, that is a word I very seldom use, and you seem to use frequently.
0 Replies