DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER

Rae

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 06:22 pm
Ya'll are outta luck! He's MY Dad and I'm keepin'im!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 06:24 pm
In his defense, I have to say that Dad does do pretty well when I have to walk him through an electronic crisis over the phone. At least he does well until the power goes out again..... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 06:57 pm
Tomorrow I will be testing the theory. Today I bought to closet organizer dealies and they have parts and bits to hold the parts together. I may need more than a bigger hammer.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 06:59 pm
Good luck, Joanne!

(Last time I put together one of those (for my sister) the neighbor called the police because of the noise!)
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 07:03 pm
You may hear me in Florida. But I had to do it, buy the organizer thing cause I am buying lots of cheesy clothes to wear in April in Florida.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 07:05 pm
:wink:

On second thought.....

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 07:16 pm
Not really I am just going to bring my cheesy Tejas clothing. You never know I might want to visit again some day.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 07:20 pm
Well thank goodness you're thinkin ahead! Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 08:45 pm
ohhhhh, the blankety blankety closet organizer. i watched hometime or something about 15 years ago - they revamped about 8 closets in 30 minutes. so i figure, how hard can it be? Evil or Very Mad

so 4 days later with half of the thing still partly assembled ...
then a week later ...
then it's up ...

big noise in the middle of the night ...

Evil or Very Mad

xzkhxzlkpfleienirneinbeferrrrrrrschnacksdingsieneinejeunxzzzkzkxxkzkzxkz

Evil or Very Mad

all my clothes in a heap on the closet floor
the unit hanging from the wall by one screw

well i finally got it assembled
and apparently it's still in that closet
but never ever again
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 08:52 pm
ehbeth! I can relate! There is an apartment in Colorado, with a closet.....and holes big enough for gawdknowswhat to creep through.....
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 10:39 pm
Ooooh Beth this does not sound like a fun Saturday shaping up for me.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 07:49 am
Joanne - you know what they say - forewarned is fore-armed! I can only hope that they've made the process less complicated in the decade or so since i murdered a closet.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 11:56 am
Murdered a closet.....oh my.....roflmao.....I'll be snickerin about that one all day..... Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 01:11 pm
I think alot of it has to do with how much murderin you've done in the past....These wonderful assemble yourself cabinets and such...I could make a killing putting the things together for people..NOW
however...
its been a long time coming....and the battlefield has been quite bloody getting here.
I havent tackled the closet organizer thing....and from whats been siad here, Im thinking that if I do, it should be firstly tested on some other poor soul till I can get it just right.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 02:26 pm
Joanne, just how much you bringing for a three day visit?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 02:41 pm
I have gotten pretty good at putting together those "build it yourself" thingies. I did a bunch of VCR cabinets with my husband, and a huge computer console. Then I made a desk for my granddaughter, and my mother's microwave stand by MYSELF.

But I learned something, thanks to hubby. The problem with the do it yourself furniture is that it is made out of particle board, not real wood. As such, in time, from movement, the screws work loose, and the piece isn't worth a darn after awhile.

But, if you coat the edges with Elmer's Carpenter's Glue (Be careful. Keep a rag handy, and wipe off the excess) the pieces are very sturdy!
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 03:27 pm
Once we take delivery of the offending construction kit, hereafter know as "the load of junk" perhaps we should sing to it, in the vain hope that it might behave

If I had a hammer
I'd hammer in the morning
I'd hammer in the evening
All over this land
I'd hammer out danger
I'd hammer out a warning
I'd hammer out love between
My brothers and my sisters ah-aaah
All over this land
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 05:07 pm
I once put together a desk with 'destructions' in German. That was fun, lemme tell ya.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 05:35 pm
gosh Rae..I hate when that happens...I usually just give up before starting.

Glue is a great tool for the particle board stuff, so is a cordless screwdriver.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 05:38 pm
I'm usually quite good with repairs and putting stuff together. I'd say i have a better than average selection of tools, and know what to do with most of them (i'm not good with a saw). but, the closet organizer <sigh>, that was a critter of a different colour. i think what got me into trouble was that danged t.v. show. they show them popping two pieces together, screwing 3 screws into the wall, time lapse and they're done. it's not til you unpack everything that you discover the contents of the kit include 100 screws or something equally challenging. Do not trust those time-lapse reno programs DO NOT TRUST THOSE TIME LAPSE RENO PROGRAMS DO NOT TRUST THOSE TIME LAPSE RENO PROGRAMS.you can not paint the interior and exterior of a house in half an hour!
0 Replies