Ceiling fixture wiring

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 08:55 am
In a ceiling fixture controlled by 2 three-way switches and 1 four-way switch there are 3 two wire leads. Only one has hot black. I took down the light to paint and in my haste neglected to note the connections. How do I proceed? None of the three switches have a hot terminal so I assume the power source is through the fixture.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,296 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 11:45 am
@No voltage,
No, that's a good guess, but I'd look for a buddy who has a volt-ohmmeter. Lacking that, use an incandescent light bulb to find which of the three is 115 v in
TacomArto

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 01:49 pm
@dalehileman,
I am in same dilemma. Paid no attention to existing wiring as I removed old fixture before installing new ceiling fan. Now even when switch is in "off" position and I restore the breaker the fan starts to spin and then trips breaker.

I have a digital multimeter. Are u suggesting I will find my 115v in a non-tradition spot?

This bedroom only has 1 switch and light fixture box has white, black, and ground coming in and out.

I have never had an issue installing light fixtures so I am taken back...

Thanks in advance!
dalehileman

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 04:05 pm
@TacomArto,
Quote:
Are u suggesting I will find my 115v in a non-tradition spot?
Only that the use of an incandescent or something else that draws substantial current is reassuring

One of the two colored wires is probly ground. A slight residual voltage to a known ground might indicate neutral

If it has ac current scales you might check current to the fan
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 04:53 pm
I suggest getting somebody with a little experience to help.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 07:07 pm
@TacomArto,
Just as a guess, I think you wired the hot wire to the ground, so you trip the breaker immediately.

Ceiling fans with a light fixture typically have two power inputs, one for the light and one for the fan. The wall switch controls the light, the fan is always hot and is controlled by the pull cord. You should have a white, a black, a red and a green or copper wire coming in from the ceiling. One the fan side, y0u should have something similar. You will have to look at the fan manual to see how the other wires line up.

http://ask-the-electrician.com/images/Ceiling%20Fan%20Wiring%20Diagram-1.JPG

If there are two black wires
1) Turn the light switch off and see which wire is hot.
2) Turn the light switch on and see which additional wire is hot.
0 Replies