If you having dinner with four people and one answers a cell

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 02:28 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 02:31 pm
Don't forget to tell your guests that your making your favorite "cellphone soup".
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 02:32 pm
True story- in a restaurant which has a sign posted:

Please. No cellphone use in the dining room.

When it was pointed out to someone ON a cellphone she said

"I thought that was meant for the ones who talk too loudly."

Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 02:48 pm
I tend to take out my mental notebook and cross them off the social list.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 05:08 pm
E. Definitely. It's worth doing time over.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 04:03 am
Leading in the polls this morning, no, not those polls, this much more important one is B: get out.

I guess it would have to been done gracefully, a simple nod at the confused spouse/partner/whatever of the prep and then, rising like bishops at High Mass, we stand, push back our chairs and zoom for the door. Oh, did I forget-?-my my manners ====- drop a stack of twentys on the table and give a rolling eyes farewell to the waiter.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 06:09 am
OOOOH - I like that.

Don't forget to flare your nostrils.

Flare, flair and disdain. The fella's got panache.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 10:57 am
Being pretty much deaf, people talking on cell-phones doesn't bother me much. I don't do telephones, and do not entirely approve of having even land-lines in the house. Oh well, Natalie uses the darned things scattered around Corazon.

I don't understand why anyone would willingly give up their privacy. Folks want to talk with me, they are welcome to visit for a few weeks, or they can engage me over the internet.

Out of an opium phantasy, the author awoke electrified by the imagery. His mind was filled with the exact words and cadences of a terrific poem that would run for at least six or seven pages. He rushed to his desk, dipped his quill and began to write feverishly. His cell phone rang. It took a long moment to find the damned thing, and then get rid of the unwanted interruption. Returning to his half filled page he realized that the poem had vanished. With a sigh, he wrote the title, Kublai Khan at the top of the page, and the world was robbed of half one of its greatest poems.

Newton sat beneath an apple tree pondering natural philosophy. For days he had been close to grasping a concept that seemed to hold great promise. An apple fell and hit the genius dead-center. A flash of inspiration, and then his cell phone rang. It took just a moment to tell the salesman that the Newton household already had all the subscriptions it needed, and he hung up. "Now where was I", he thought.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 08:05 pm
Those are great, Asherman.

==
How the world, our world has changed, I was watching an old Mannix (detective show) on cable a couple of weeks ago. Mannix and his girl friday were traveling by car back to his office after talking with his client who had been the victim of some scam. Suddenly a thought occurred to the both of them, suppose there was a way to find the perpetrator by searching the most recent car rentals at the airport! They drive a bit further, discussing the possibilities and then Mannix swerves the car into the parking lot of a gas --------- to use the pay phone.

They both have to get out of the car and stand by the side of the road near the phone booth, as the cars whiz by in the background, Mannix reachs his office.
==

In the vein of Asherman:

It is a Wednesday, mid-afternoon, Jersey shore, surf's burbling in the background as we read our books or stare out to sea.

Two kids beside us dig and dig some more, racing to the water's edge to fill the plastic buckets and pour a whole lake of water into the hole which their father never sees completed, he has answered his cellphone--- here on the beach, in the middle of his vacation--- and is now engaged in guiding some office bound ear through a series of paragraph changes and updates.

There. See it? A ship with three masts at full sail, a daymoon hangs in a cloudless sky, a lake is born and dies on this small stretch of sand.

"Daddy, you missed it."
"What, honey, what?"
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 08:39 pm
I teach at a college and despite my rules these inane 18 year olds attempt to have conversations in my class.

I have come to taking batteries and sim chips for the semester. You want your memory back? Wait 15 more weeks and it is yours.

My second choice would involve a garrote and a shovel.

TF
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 09:03 pm
Great little "what if" stories Asherman…and Joe's little cell phone story reminded of this:

A few weeks ago we had a family outing to a city festival. My five year old granddaughter was riding with my daughter on the water slide for the first time. I positioned myself with my camera to get a great picture of this first time event. I moved in close and waited for the boat car to come down the platform and onto the water with a big splash…and the instant that it did, I saw the radiant big smile on her sweet little face. At that very moment, as I clicked the picture, an idiot on his cell phone walked right into my view. I ended up with a picture of him instead.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 09:15 pm
I don't see lighting them on fire listed as an option !
0 Replies

Locke15

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 11:48 pm
colorbook wrote:
Great little "what if" stories Asherman…and Joe's little cell phone story reminded of this:

A few weeks ago we had a family outing to a city festival. My five year old granddaughter was riding with my daughter on the water slide for the first time. I positioned myself with my camera to get a great picture of this first time event. I moved in close and waited for the boat car to come down the platform and onto the water with a big splash…and the instant that it did, I saw the radiant big smile on her sweet little face. At that very moment, as I clicked the picture, an idiot on his cell phone walked right into my view. I ended up with a picture of him instead.

Lately I have seen a lot of people walking in front of individuals taking photos which I find very rudem. Why not simply walk around the photographer it isn't very hard!?!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 12:54 am
Did you know that cell phones have become the way many homeless people communicate? They use their hand in the usual "telephone" form and talk to anyone in the world or out of the world. I've seen quite a few in New York City doing this. To me, as long as they have their conversations outside, who am I to tell them their hands dont really connect with another caller?

By the way, Joe, I voted for A, but with another orifice in mind.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 05:31 am
In odd moments, I think it is a mental condition, this inability to relate to your surroundings while communicating on a cellphone, but I think it has to do with the amount of concentration it takes to actually use the thing. This is completely understandable, and one of the very good reasons why my taxi cab driver shouldn't talk to his brother in Brooklyn while driving me and wife to Washington Heights.

What I observe about the users is that they get this out-of-focus look in their eyes, their mind is trying to put them where the action is, the point of conversation, but their body remains in the bus seat next to me while their mouth achieves a volume suitable for reaching across the miles to the restaurant in Chelsea where their friends are still waiting because they are late.

Late and loud, yes, it all fits.

Joe
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 05:44 am
I don't even own a cell-phone, but I do have a land line in the house, and pay a premium for call display just so I can choose who I speak with. I never answer calls from blocked numbers. Call display is a godsend. Laughing
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 05:52 am
Full disclosure: I don't have a land line. I only have a cellphone. I use it to make all my calls and receive all my calls. I just don't do either when it might inconvenience, endanger or offend those I am actually with.

Joe
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 06:16 am
I believe cell-phones are the new drug of choice for urbanites. Thanks to the highly successful 'war on drugs' (insert sarcasm here), folks are more concerned with technology than cocaine these days.

Use them phones responsibly, and you won't ever have to go to rehab. Abuse them, you must get in the program. Laughing A few weeks of scrubbing toilets will make you understand how annoying you are to answer your phone at movies, restaurants, etc. Teenagers at theatres warn people about this problem, but do they listen? Some do, some do not. Make your decision, I say to the rude. Joe, you are a fine man indeed (sincerely).

I did see the movie 'Phone Booth' a couple of weeks ago, and really liked the cell phone imagery.
0 Replies

john-nyc

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 06:21 am
Joe Nation wrote:
In odd moments, I think it is a mental condition, this inability to relate to your surroundings while communicating on a cellphone, but I think it has to do with the amount of concentration it takes to actually use the thing. This is completely understandable, and one of the very good reasons why my taxi cab driver shouldn't talk to his brother in Brooklyn while driving me and wife to Washington Heights.

What I observe about the users is that they get this out-of-focus look in their eyes, their mind is trying to put them where the action is, the point of conversation, but their body remains in the bus seat next to me while their mouth achieves a volume suitable for reaching across the miles to the restaurant in Chelsea where their friends are still waiting because they are late.

Late and loud, yes, it all fits.

Joe

Thats why its silly to ban hand held cell phones while driving but allow those with headsets. Its the attempt at projection that makes the cell phone dangerous, not the one-handed-ness.

BTW If the inviting couple is paying then the boor gets no desert!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 06:55 am
Quote:
Thats why its silly to ban hand held cell phones while driving but allow those with headsets. Its the attempt at projection that makes the cell phone dangerous, not the one-handed-ness.

Agreed. A friend of ours leans forward and says "Telephone or Tip, you pick." but he reports some drivers shrug and keep talking. That's why, if I hear a cab driver on his cellphone, I ask him to either hang up or let me out. And I put his hack number in my Palm. And I call the taxi commission.

They know it's illegal for them to be on a cell, with or without a headset, and yet they do it. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies