Adam Sandler? Monster or ... Really Awful Monster?

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 11:36 am
What is/are the worst Adam Sandler movies you were unfortunate enough to witness?

Is he one of the worst actors of all time? Or do you actually like him?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 768 • Replies: 18

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 11:44 am
@tsarstepan,

anger management -- painful to watch, and i would have walked out in the middle had i seen it in a theater...
ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 11:47 am
@tsarstepan,
I really liked The Wedding Singer.

because/in spite of Adam Sandler?

everything else I've tried to watch with him kind of made me wince. not sure I've made it through any other movie he's in. Does watching The Wedding Singer several times counterbalance that?

I wouldn't seek out an Adam Sandler movie, but I don't exactly hate him.
farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 12:14 pm
@ehBeth,
He did a very good cover of WEREWOLVES of LONDON.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 12:22 pm
@tsarstepan,
Adam Sandler has made me laugh in several of his stupid movies including Happy Gilmore and Waterboy. That is enough for me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 12:22 pm
He was in a movie with one of the Wayans brothers, playing a criminal and Wayans was the arresting officer and also a friend. I watched some of it because of Wayans, but didn't watch to the end. How Sandler gets jobs, I don't understand.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 01:02 pm
@Region Philbis,
My mother and I watched it in the theater. I want our money back, and it's been years.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 01:13 pm
@jespah,
I probably just saw him in a movie trailer. Where or whenever, hated it.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 02:13 pm
@tsarstepan,
Really wanted to hate the guy but I kinda liked 'Spanglish'. I forgave him a lot for that.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 02:31 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I probably just saw him in a movie trailer. Where or whenever, hated it.

That happens to a lot of people.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2016 04:05 am
The only Sandler fil I've seen is 50 First Dates and that was because it was what was playing on a coach trip. It was truly execrably bad, and he's singularly unfunny in all of the trailers of his films I've seen at the cinema, (and those are supposed to be the best bits.)

The only reason for his success is that there must be an awful lot of stupid people out there.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2016 04:09 am
Adam Sandler was a cast member of a very popular television program, and since then, his career has been aided by whom he knows in the entertainment business. I wouldn't call him a monster, but i also don't think he's very funny.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2016 06:26 am
@Setanta,
I found Adam Sandler quite competent and watchable in Punch Drunk Love (2002). I now can see that could be because the six time Oscar nominated director, Paul Thomas Anderson, knew how to reign in Sandler from giving his usual lazy one note comicgasm of an over-the-top performance.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2016 06:30 am
@Leadfoot,
How is it possible that the guy who did Spanglish also did Happy Gilmore and the long line of steaming dreck perpetrated upon the viewing audience? I used to wonder how on earth he gets funding. He's like the Andy Warhol of film.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2016 06:36 am
@Lash,
I think he chooses most of his projects based on the salary figure earned (and other studio inducements) rather than the possible quality and originality of a prospective production.

He keeps getting funding because goofs around the world still buy tickets to his craptacular films.
jespah

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2016 06:43 am
@tsarstepan,
A lot of his movies are really obvious vacation write-offs.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2016 06:48 am
...so now I'm very quietly going to suggest that you see Punch Drunk Love.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2016 07:22 am
@Lash,
Quote:

How is it possible that the guy who did Spanglish also did Happy Gilmore and the long line of steaming dreck perpetrated upon the viewing audience?
Quote:
Good question. It really looked like he had the acting chops to nail that part in a movie with a good script.

Haven't seen it so Adding 'Punch Drunk Love' to my que to see if he can do it again.
Lash

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2016 07:53 am
@Leadfoot,
I'll be interested to hear what you think.
0 Replies