Ebert's GREAT MOVIES, Part 12: "The Bicycle Thief"

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 04:05 pm
Victorio De Sica's masterpiece of Italian neorealism is still as powerful a statement in pictures that could and almost does survive without dialogue.
All we have to know is the set of circumstances that propels the story forward and the action of the characters. It's a poignant vision of the plight of the poor and how they try to overcome the hopelessness of life on the streets. There's a 1999 restored print which was shown on TCM last year in the Italian cinema cycle which corresponded with Martin Scorcese's comprehensive documentary of films Italiano.

http://www.foreignfilms.com/images/poster/1875a-6.jpg

A link to Ebert's Essay:

THE BICYCLE THIEF REVIEW
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,542 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jeanbean

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 06:02 pm
I remember The Bicycle Thief as a classic, that I missed.
It sort of reminds me of The Red Balloon, which I did see.
What does it have in common?
They both need no dialogue, yet are perfectly understandable.
One is italian, the other french.
It's a good thing,too,b/c due to a brain injury,
I can't read the dialog fast enough,to see any picture
acted in a foreign language.And I hate dubbed-movies.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 06:27 pm
I saw Ladri di biciclette (Bycicle Thieves), for the second time a couple of months ago (more than 25 years had passed since the first time).
It is a film that will always resist the passage of time. Hence, a Classic.

In it's time, it must have also been quite a shock (I remember a scene in C'eravamo tanto amati -We Loved Each Other Very Much-), in which the reactions of the audience to De Sica's film are wildly diverse.
I like the subdued tragic feeling than underlies the whole drama and the unhappy, but not cruel ending of the film.
On the other hand, I believe some other Italian Neorrealist films have a better grip and story. Or it's only I liked them better.

I made a trivia question in IMDB and nobody could answer.
What soccer teams finished playing at the stadium as Antonio decides to steal the bike?
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 10:52 pm
I am familiar with The Bicycle Thief by its excellent reputation. I have not, however, ever seen this "masterpiece." That doesn't mean I never will, so thank you for the thread.
Very Happy
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 03:35 am
How about the man of modest means who applies for a job as salesman only to be told that he must carry a Gucci brief case?

I guess the beauty of the modern age is that everyone, no matter how poor, has a credit card.

Kidding aside, Mrs. Hazlitt brought this film home a couple of years ago. I sat down, with reluctance, to watch it with her, and was really moved. By the film that is; although, Mrs. Hazlitt sometimes gets me moving, say, like when she thinks my desk needs straightening up. Don't be thrown off track here, I may not be in the mood for profundities just at this moment, but that does not mean I did not find "The Bicycle Thief" to be profound. It was.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 02:04 pm
There are a lot of other equally fine or finer neorealist movies like SHOESHINE, which is also heartbreaking. BICYCLE THIEF is such a simple story that is practically a parable. Maybe that is the reason that it still "works" after all these years.
0 Replies