I don't have to prove that I am creative.

JLNobody

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 10:55 pm
I'm very hesitant to respond negatively to art works if the artist is present. I don't hesitate to give what I consider to be deserved praise. If I were a critic I would consider it my function to condemn as well as praise, but frankly, I only know what I like and do not like; I'm not sure what is "objectively" good and what is bad--even though I can analyze works for their adequacy in technical terms. Nevertheless, I sometimes appreciate very much certain qualities in works that are technically faulty (the paintings of children, for example). I often come to dislike works (mine as well as others) that I liked previously--and vice versa. I am willing to say to someone that a particular work of theirs does not work for me, or that I'm unable to respond to it. In other words, I think I should always acknowledge the personal and subjective nature of my responses, and not perform the role of an expert who can make pronouncements on the objective value of works.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 11:04 pm
Me too.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 01:51 am
any comments need to be carefully adjusted to the listener.

with friends we can be quite brutally blunt with each other at times! and also very supportive and encouraging and offering praise and ideas,

with a stranger I wouldn't dream of being so open but wouldn't use false praise ever.

I went to some open studios in a neighbouring county a couple of weeks back and saw some absolutely dreadful work by a man who had been painting for 50 years he told us - 'one years experience repeated 50 times' as my friend said.

He was incredibly smug and obviously felt his work was wonderful! We couldn't praise it with any honesty - it truly had nothing going for it! it was stiff, badly composed, badly drawn and the colours and paint handling were dire, but we wouldn't have hurt the feelings of a stranger - even a smug one - and merely talked about the length of time he had been painting rather than the quality of the work! .... and escaped

I agree with jln that it is difficult to judge others work as there is a huge element of what you 'like' but often you can appreciate good work without actually liking it.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 06:09 pm
I've never liked the work of Julian Schnabel--I'm thinking of the shard portraits. But I've realized today that his later works--hugh sloppy, expressive and sensuous works--with which I was not familiar, are very much to my liking. I liked them so much I bought the book of his works ($75 for someone I've always disparaged, yipes). What I have really disliked about Schnabel has been the shameless way he has promoted himself, a bit like Warhol. But that is now neither here nor there. His talent is now obvious to me, but, then, by "talent" I'm referring mainly to the way some of his works move me aesthetically-viscerally.
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 11:19 pm
So many wonderful and wise comments have been shared here since I barged into the room with my insecurities flying like battle flags. Gentle Spirits= 1000. Jerks= 0.
I recall an old saw: One recommended for the old "I know what I like".The reply is: "No dear, you like what you know." So it goes.
Somehow, some of us aquire an understanding of our internal preferences and ways of expressing them to others.
Along with wisdom may come restraint and plain common sense as it may apply to "Creativity".
Proving ones creativity is most probably a fools errand. And if some persist? No matter.
Cest La Guerre.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 07:54 am
insecurities?
Everyone has them, some of us just leave them closer to the surface than others.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 10:32 am
Well said, BenConservato.
What did I read in one of these threads about the (beneficial) need for artists to suffer chronic self-doubt? (I think it was a quote from a successful artist).
Or was it an hallucination?
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 10:39 am
no hallucination... check my head at the moment!Not working officially, time to think and do just my work BAD COMBINATION for a once hyperactive child. Happy with most of the work I am doing though Smile
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 11:52 am
I'm glad I found this thread.
I have noticed some people like to write after their spouse/gf/bf breasks up with them. Now I know writing is very therapeutic, but writing masochistic poetry/prose and then showing people is sick.
I find it disturbing, and I'm no prude.
My question is, if any of you came across such writing's what would do?
Ignore-
Candy coat-
Speak your mind?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 12:01 pm
Paulaj, after reading someone's machositic poem, I might be tempted to ask him if he would now like me to beat him up.

On the other hand, I don't think it's wise to mess with masochists. For example:

The masochist throws himself to the ground as says to the sadist: "Hurt me".

The sadist thinks for a moment and then responds (sadistically): "No."

After a moment of frustration, the masochist responds: "Thanks, that was good."

The masochist always wins, even when he loses. Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 12:02 pm
Paula, if the writing were in the form of an appeal, I think I would simply question the writer about his intent. Just as art can be revealing about disturbed folks, so can poetry or prose.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 12:03 pm
Even if it was a girl who wrote it? JL?
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 12:08 pm
Letty wrote:
Paula, if the writing were in the form of an appeal, I think I would simply question the writer about his intent. Just as art can be revealing about disturbed folks, so can poetry or prose.

Normally I choose to say nothing if I don't like someones work, but sadistic prose on a public forum, hmm. I should just ignore. Seems as if the person is looking for attention.

I try to put myself in others peoples shoes so I can learn, but I have not been able to do that with some of the prose I see.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 12:20 pm
A woman? Heavens no. Well, maybe Karen Hughes or Conde Rice. :wink:
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 12:22 pm
You mean poety and prose here, Paula?
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 02:33 pm
Yes, Letty. I'm trying to break out of my comfort zone and read other peoples writings. I was surprised.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 02:56 pm
Paula, I have tried posting to all the categories. I was surprised myself at how meaningful they were.

Is JL still beatin' up on those defenseless women? <smile>
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 07:39 pm
Letty wrote:

Is JL still beatin' up on those defenseless women? <smile>

He dosen't seem like the type, but you can never tell, those still waters run deep. Laughing
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 07:44 pm
Ah, me. He don't have nuttin' to prove, I guess. Cool
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 12:37 am
are you reading books of peoples bedside mutterings Paula or is it an exhibition...

or are you talking about here?
0 Replies