110 outlet concerns...is this a hazard?

RLW0830

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 11:55 am
I have a tower fan in my kitchen that randomly started a constant fluctuation of the fan speed no matter what speed was selected. After several days of this I thought I should return the fan to Costco for a replacement but decided to plug it into a plug on the adjacent wall to see if that made a difference. Now the fan works as expected with no fluctuation in speed. What would cause this to happen and should I be concerned that there is a problem or hazard with the plug its was plugged into previously?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 594 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 12:35 pm
Yes, you probably should be concerned. The problem could a loose connection somewhere which could cause overheating and might be a fire risk. You could try connecting a lamp to the outlet and observe if it flickers or changes brightness. You should speak to an electrician.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 12:53 pm
If this is rented accommodation, speak to the landlord.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 02:04 pm
@RLW0830,
On the "bad" outlet as you're getting that speed change check to see if there's a significant voltage between neutral and ground. Also check to see if ground is really grounded (check res to a water pipe, radiator, or the like)
0 Replies

spooky24

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 07:57 am
@RLW0830,
Use a volt meter to check continuity through the circuit-if you don't understand how to do that have an electrician do it. You could possibility be voiding your homeowners policy by admitting in public that you knew about the problem and did nothing about it as, of course, your homeowners policy expressive chargers you to do so.
Nasty little surprise you might get after a house fire.
0 Replies