transformer check

Mike63

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2016 05:14 pm
Hey everyone, Im new here, I have an above ground swimming pool with a pool light that illuminates the inside of the pool, the light has stopped working, I don't know if it is the bulb or the transformer, since the transformer have been known to burn out over time, it is 12 years old. One end of the power source plugs into a GFI on the side of my garage, the wire runs to the transformer then the wire goes to the light at the pool, when I disconnect the wiring to the bulb it has two connections one black one white, these plug into two connections connected the the light housing two yellow connectors.
I do have a new multi meter, but Im don't know how to use it very well, can someone explain how to check to see if power is getting to the connectors to confirm if my transformer is good, please be specific, what setting on the multi meter, what color probes to touch where, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 727 • Replies: 2
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 11:03 am
@Mike63,
Mike I hope you get a reply though all this will eventually become evident. In the meantime though be sure don't set it to ohms except when you're absolutely sure there's no voltage

For similar reasons when preparing for a voltage, start at the top range where the needle won't whack over
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 12:32 pm
What voltage is the bulb? What are the transformer primary and secondary voltages? These will be written on the items.
0 Replies