'The Greatest of All Time': Muhammad Ali Dead at 74

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 06:13 am
'The Greatest of All Time': Muhammad Ali Dead at 74

View profile
Source: NBC

Too soon. An icon passes.

Muhammad Ali, the silver-tongued boxer and civil rights champion who famously proclaimed himself "The Greatest" and then spent a lifetime living up to the billing, is dead.

Ali died Friday at a Phoenix-area hospital, where he had spent the past few days being treated for respiratory complications, a family spokesman confirmed to NBC News. He was 74.

"After a 32-year battle with Parkinson's disease, Muhammad Ali has passed away at the age of 74. The three-time World Heavyweight Champion boxer died this evening," Bob Gunnell, a family spokesman, told NBC News.

Ali had suffered for three decades from Parkinson's Disease, a progressive neurological condition that slowly robbed him of both his legendary verbal grace and his physical dexterity. A funeral service is planned in his hometown of Louisville, Kentucky.

Even as his health declined, Ali did not shy from politics or controversy, releasing a statement in December criticizing Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump's proposal to ban Muslims from entering the United States. "We as Muslims have to stand up to those who use Islam to advance their own personal agenda," he said.

Read more: http://www.nbcnews.com/

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/89/Muhammad_Ali_NYWTS.jpg/440px-Muhammad_Ali_NYWTS.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,991 • Replies: 14

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 06:39 am
"My conscience won't let me go shoot my brother, or some darker people, or some poor hungry people in the mud for big powerful America. And shoot them for what? They never called me nigger, they never lynched me, they didn't put no dogs on me, they didn't rob me of my nationality, rape and kill my mother and father... Shoot them for what? How can I shoot them poor people? Just take me to jail."
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 07:14 am
RIP Ali. He truly was the greatest.

0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
revelette2

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 09:53 am
@mark noble,
Good grief, it was just a slogan, like "sting like bee." He was a great boxer who seemed to live a good life outside of his career, seems to be a dying breed. Give the man his due and express regret for his passing.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 11:55 am
@mark noble,
Ali was a wonderful man who did a lot of good things without making a cause of it. If you don't agree, that is no excuse to make your piss over it.
Blickers

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 11:06 pm
Hard to believe that a poor, almost illiterate kid could come on the scene in a sport that has always been corrupt in one way or another, take on everything the established order tried to throw at him, and emerge victorious. Nobody could ever say he backed down from anything, and he always came back and won.

The Establishment finally got him though. Because they wouldn't let him fight for 3 years he lost his super speed and quickness when he came back, and so had to adopt his "Rope A Dope" strategy which won him fights but also markedly increased the number of blows to the head he took. The Parkinsons was a result of that. If he had been allowed to fight, he never would have adopted the Rope A Dope, he wouldn't have gotten hit so much, his Parkinsons would have been much reduced or nonexistent.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2016 05:47 am
@mark noble,
as you can see, you are clueless (As usual)
Here was a very gifted athlete and very sgharp person. He was an all round colorful and noble character.

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2016 07:16 am
@mark noble,
Nice attempt at trying to change the conversation from remembering Ali to your feeble attempts to making this about you and you presumed "freedom of speech" on a private web site where there is NO presumption of free speech.

Shame on you. Go start your anti-Ali thread. I will avoid it.
mark noble

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2016 01:07 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I'm not anti-anyone - I'm pro-everyone/thing.

I look at all subjects 'philosophically' - And that's why I joined a 'PHILOSOPHY'-forum' Which ended up Here Absorbed.
I'm still a philosopher - What, exactly, are you?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 05:34 am
@mark noble,
Quote:
What, exactly, are you?

A person who respects the man and all he stood for.

This thread is not about you.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 06:11 am
@mark noble,
http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/624/cpsprodpb/DF34/production/_90004175_fainstagram.jpg
0 Replies