Should I file for child support??

Liliks

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 09:58 am
Ok, sorry if this is a little long, 14 years ago I got pregnant with my boyfriend, as soon as he knew, he left me, this happened in Tijuana Mexico, he dissapeared and never knew from him again..3 years Later I got married and came to live to the US with my daughter, my new husband didn't adopt my daughter..Now my daughter is 13 years old. No long ago, i found my ex on Facebook, he got married and has a family, he came to live to the US as well and became a US citizen, my daughter and I are legal residents, it looks like he and his wife have a real state business where they flip houses, it looks like she is the one who makes the money, I don't really know his title or position in the bussines, I feel the need to ask for child support, the need is more emotionally than financially, anyway, My questions are
-being legal residents and coming from Mexico, can I file for child support here In the US?
-if he doesn't claim income, only his wife, does he still have to pay child support?
- is it possible that the judge order back child support that goes back to the birth date of my child?? He never gave me a dime for her support

Advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 10:38 am
@Liliks,
Quote:
the need is more emotionally
Think more about that.. Then let go of it...
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 12:05 pm
@Liliks,
Go talk to a family lawyer.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 12:26 pm
@Liliks,
Once you initiate action re child support, you open the possibility of contact for your daughter.

Talk to your husband and daughter before you do anything.

If they agree contact is desirable, call a lawyer.

roger

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 12:40 pm
@ehBeth,
Good point regarding possible contact. There is also the possibility that sometime in the future the need will become more than emotional. You might be giving up something important that really belongs to your daughter.
Lilkanyon

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 08:17 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Good point regarding possible contact. There is also the possibility that sometime in the future the need will become more than emotional. You might be giving up something important that really belongs to your daughter.

Yep, it also opens you up to him claiming custody as well. You need to see a lawyer.
0 Replies

Tom Jefferson

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2016 04:44 am
You find him and the first thought is, money... This is what's wrong with people. Never mind what your daughter might want, or the fact that in 13 years he's a changed man, with a family that you might be disrupting. You say it's more of an emotional need... that sounds vindictive. He obviously did not want to be a father when you told him you were pregnant, you had the choice to not be a mother if you didn't want to be, you could have chosen to abort, place the baby up for adoption or legally abandon the child, but instead you chose to keep it. Why is not okay for him to have the choice to not be a father?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2016 06:02 am
Is his name on the birth certificate? Can you prove he is the father?

You might also look at the repercussions of starting a lawsuit when you are seeking citizenship.
0 Replies