Are there people in Finland that are against learning English?

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 10:52 pm
My neighbors refuse to learn English because of stereotypes and Britainization.

saab

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 11:39 pm
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,
Why do they then live in a country where English is spoken? Why not go to France?
The excuse for not learning English because of stereotypes and Britainization seems to me as a very very stupid excuse
Honestly I do not even trust what you say.
roger

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 11:42 pm
@saab,
Would that be because you looked over her previous threads?
saab

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 11:51 pm
@roger,
Yes - I remember her..
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 11:54 pm
@roger,
I just checked, wowsers
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 01:01 am
@glitterbag,
I am sure she is a lunatic and that the alleged neighbours are imaginary.
roger

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 01:18 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Not only that, but they speak Finnish.
0 Replies

ganeemead

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 03:15 am
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,
Quote:
My neighbors refuse to learn English because of stereotypes and Britainization.

They should start learning German or Russian then, Finnish is basically a dead language.
saab

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 11:54 am
@ganeemead,
Since when is Finnish a dead language?
Finnish is the language spoken by the majority of the population in Finland and by ethnic Finns outside Finland. It is one of the two official languages of Finland and an official minority language in Sweden. In Sweden, both standard Finnish and Meänkieli, a Finnish dialect, are spoken. The Kven language, a dialect of Finnish, is spoken in Northern Norway by a minority group of Finnish descent.

0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 12:02 pm
The ones who don’t understand and don’t want to learn
From an English speaking teacher´s article
Finnish people are smart and resourceful. Granted there is a section of the population who remain determinedly Finnish; they refuse to learn English (or perhaps any other language) because they don’t need to. Their roots remain firmly in the Finnish language and Finnish culture. I can remember a student from Lohja who cursed at me every time I walked in the room to spend time in her nursing class. She said (in Finnish), “I will never have to use English at work, so why do I have to learn this?” I wonder if she has changed her tune?
I had another student who also steadfastly refused to speak any English to me even though he understood almost everything I was saying – even humour couldn’t warm him up.

So there seem to be Finns who refuse to learn English or any other language, but would then also cut out French and to emmigrate to USA.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 12:27 pm
There are stupid defiant voluntary monoglots in all nations.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 12:39 pm
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,
Please ask them following question
miksi et oppia Englanti
and come back with an anwer.
jespah

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 02:23 pm
@ganeemead,
Can they learn to type in fuchsia, too?
ganeemead

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 02:37 pm
@jespah,
By 2040 here will be a dozen or so languages being used on this planet. The rest will have gone the way of the Southern accent in Texas, killed off by TV and the Internet.
xxPhoebeMertensxx

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 10:24 pm
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,
I found one!
http://www.pohjalainen.fi/mielipide/yleis%C3%B6lt%C3%A4/onko-pakko-valita-pakkoenglanti-1.1593375

And, also, they teach UK English in Finland. Why not move to London?
Finland should not be full of people with British accents that were taught in school by the law.

They should come here to the US, not knowing any English, and learn. Also, they will have thick accents like they are supposed to have.

It's not my opinion, it's Meko's and Kira's.
0 Replies

xxPhoebeMertensxx

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 10:28 pm
@saab,
How about a French Translation just to be safe with them? I can ask them in both languages.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 10:48 pm
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,
What makes you think the taxpayers of the U.S. want to teach English to Finns who are worried about "WHAT"? speaking Finnish with a British accent? Aren't you concerned about them returning to Finland speaking Finnish with an American accent (and there are at least 50 separate American accent). I went to language school with a man from North Carolina who speaks fluent Russian, but with a distinct Raleigh accent.

Now I'm irritated with me, for even commenting on this silly thread. Damn it all.
xxPhoebeMertensxx

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 11:07 pm
@glitterbag,
If they learned English in Finland, then they would have a British accent. Since French is their second language, I believe that they would have thick accents.

In Finland, they spell color with a u.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 11:11 pm
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,
Well, perhaps you don't know that's utter bullshit. Maybe you do,enjoy your ideas.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 02:07 am
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,

I have a feeling it is two teenagers are trying to get you to believe this things which you cannot prove.
1-) Every western European country "forces" its students to learn a foreign language.
When you go far enough back it was Latin, then it was German and after WWII it is English as first language.

2) English is taught as England is a European country.

3) There are many more diallects in United Kingdom than there are in USA.

4) Foreign languages are very seldom taught by a native speaker in the schools.
It is taought by a person who learned the language as a foreigner and often speak it with an accent.

5) It depends on where you come from how your accent is. The Danes speaks English with very little accent. The Finns have heave accent in every foreign language they speak.
"The thinker thinks" come out like this from a Swede "Te tinker tinks" and from a German !Se sinker sinks"

6) Whatever languages you learn your native language will be the one giving you an accent. If French is their second language they will have a Finnish accent in their French and not a French accent in their English

Stop listening to what these two girls tell you to get your attention and pity.
They seem to be pulling your leg completely or they are telling you stories that are half true and with no real knowledge behind it.
Stop listening to them - get information and tell them off. And stop feeding them with Finnish musich or whatever. They now live in ISA - the should speak Englsih with whatever accent.
0 Replies