Is it wrong to teach your cat to swim?

chai2

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 09:48 pm
@Linkat,
I'm agreeing with you linkat.
I just can't believe saab has never heard of groomers for pets.

Dogs are domesticated, some have long hair or other special needs. Some cats need regular brushing too of course.

Wolvles, coyotes, dingos, wild cats like tigers etc don't get matted because they have shorter hair, and they use trees, rocks and such to brush against, other member of their family groom them, and their needs are just different.
Wild animals don't need their nails cut as they are walking on terrain that keeps them the correct length.

Linkat

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 10:05 pm
@chai2,
Perhaps Saab hasn't had the pleasure of adopting a pet or maybe Saab has only owned pets thst don't require much grooming. My dog is a breed that doesn't require much in the way of grooming...he sheds his coat a couple of times of year ..his coat is almost more hair like otherwise ... I do bath him a couple of times a year simply ad he likes to roll in the grass or dirt.

Grooming is really breed...and even individual specific. Read up on any breed and it provides what should be maintained for good health.
chai2

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 10:47 pm
@Linkat,
Respectfully, I don't buy that.

So saab has never encountered dogs that obviously require grooming?

Never seen a dog or cat on the street that has long hair that would need to be cared for?
Never saw a dog whose hair has been cut?

I could see if English is not a primary language, not knowing the word groom, but to then saying "oh you mean a hair stylist or manacurist for animals?"

I think anyone would be hard pressed to find a country where such an occupation doesn't exist.
saab

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 04:28 am
@chai2,
Sorry that I tried some fun.
Yes aimals are taken care of by their owner or a professional person.
Elephants was a bad exampel as they wash themselves in nature, something hey hardly can do when in a Zoo.
Dogs love to be in water and also get bathed, and their fur has to be taken care of. Used to have a dog myseelf.
Cats - to bath a cat no and as a rule a cat should have someplace to scartch at.

In the meantime I have asked two families which both have had two cats now ball around 16 years old and they never bathed their cats nor have they ever heard about it. If the cats live a normal life.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 04:36 am
@chai2,
The word grooming I connected with grom and a female and male dog getting together for a certain reason.
Groomer in Swedish is hundskötare = dogcaretaker.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 05:05 am
@Linkat,
looked up groomer on google and got the German word for it:
Hundefrisör = dog hairdresser.
Banana Breath

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 06:17 am
@saab,
That's a good translation for contemporary usage.
"Groom" has two primary definitions in English, the first is simply an ordinary man, and also the male partner in a wedding. The second is to tend to, clean up, tidy... particularly with horses or other animals or one's self. The second definition derives from the first, as a nobleman would hire an ordinary man (groom, or old English grom) to tend his horses.
saab

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 07:14 am
@Banana Breath,
In Danish a groomer is a person or a machine who/which harrow a horse.
Groomer is in Danish a Hunde barber = dog barber
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 08:46 am
Hundsalong in Sweden is a place where you get the dog groomed - just we call it trim the dog.
Salong in Swedish means a room finer than the livingroom, but that is as a rule only in grand houses with more than one livingroom.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 09:45 am
To whom it may concern
I gave Banana Breath one Thumb up for a nice explanaiton for an English word.
Hardly is it there and you remove it. This has now happened a few times.
For every thumb up you take away I will give back just as many.
Now it is five.
I am continue this childish game as long as you want to, but I say it is better to stop it.
saab

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 09:56 am
@saab,
Who ever you are - 8 eight times you have removed one thumb up. The last three that I gave within nine minutes.
I give up now for such a childish behavior
carpetsindubai

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 10:26 am
If you like cats and if you own one or two then there is nothing wrong to tech them how to swim?
saab

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 11:37 am
@carpetsindubai,
Many people keep a cat in an apartment and others do not have water close by.
Where are these cats supposed to learn to swim and why should they? In the shower?
For the pleasure of the owner - it certainly would not be for the pleasure of the cat.
roger

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 11:58 am
@saab,
Back up to three
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 02:52 pm
Couldn't they teach them some other strokes?

All the swimming cats I've seen appear to be DOG-paddling!
ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 05:01 pm
As I already said, I can understand circumstances and by my knowledgeable animal person who lived with many animals, I believed her and saw it to be possible, including once in my own sink.. the one time.

She made it not trauma. Not her way - she rescued a scary dog tossed from a truck and paid for the surgeries. She wasn't rich. I remember the dog, devoted.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 05:21 pm
@ossobuco,
If a cat get stuck in tar mixed with a variety of ****, it gets to be washed.

Cats don't just live in nice-y neigborhoods.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 29 May, 2016 01:54 am
@margo,
Animals do what we call DOG -paddling.
They simply cannot learn some other strokes as they cannot strech out their forelegs to the sides. We can do that with our arms. Nor can they learn to crawl as they cannot do the same movements with their forelegs as we can with our arms.
0 Replies

Banana Breath

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 09:08 am
@saab,
Quote:
Many people keep a cat in an apartment and others do not have water close by. Where are these cats supposed to learn to swim and why should they? In the shower?

I've seen a number of videos of cats apparently enjoying swimming in a bath tub. I'm just not certain if the cat had to go through a number of trials of being terrified first.
saab

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 09:33 am
@Banana Breath,
How do we know if the cat enjoy it or is swimming to find a way out?
As a kid I had a cat.
She used to come along to the beach which is just by the house and play there.
When I went swimming she stood on a rock miauing in a scared way very loudly. If I did not come to her , she swam out to me, climped up on my head started to miauing until we both were back safe on the beach.
That is how little she liked water - even I should not be in it.
0 Replies