What to stuff a roasted chicken with?

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 10:30 am
Mr. B is avoiding carbs and its driving me crazy. (I'm an everything in moderation kind of girl)

I'm planning on roasting a chicken for dinner tonight and I was trying to think of things to stuff it with.

Could you stuff a chicken with say..... broccoli and cubed eggplant and maybe fresh spinach?

Would it get too squishy?
Would it fail to cook?
Would you want to partially cook your chicken first?
Would you want to saute the veggies first?

I want this to be easy.

I realize I'm probably showing off my cooking stupidity but I would really appreciate some help or suggestions.

Oh - and I hate squash so, squash free, please.

Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 19,900 • Replies: 24
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 10:44 am
Well, lookee what we have here: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=839291#839291
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 10:45 am
Ooff, don't bother stuffing it at all. Throw in a halved clove of garlic, a few sprigs of fresh thyme and rosemary, truss, season and roast. Cook your veggies seperately. Don't stuff it with the spinach for sure. Laughing I would suggest making a salad from the fresh spinach, then a saute of the eggplant and broccoli with the seasonings of your choice, and the chicken as described.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 11:34 am
I speak for many men who dislike having food pulled out of a chickens ass. Something not yummy about this
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 11:44 am
Erm, I meant a halved head of garlic, not a clove.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 11:58 am
Thanks, jes -that green bean and almond stuffing sounds delicious.

Whats wrong with stuffing a chicken, cav? I like things that all cook together. I usually put dinner in and go swimming or something while it cooks so one pot/pan meals are the best. Plus, the food gets the flavor of whatever meat your cooking.

I'm really questioning because I don't know what, other than pulling the stuffing out of a chicken's ass, is wrong with this method?

Usually I don't stuff a chicken when I roast it, or I stuff it with rice. But now that Mr. B is rice-phobic....
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 11:59 am
It's good to have something in there, even if it isn't going to be eaten, unless you truss it; otherwise, the cavity will dry out.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 12:01 pm
boomerang wrote:
Thanks, jes -that green bean and almond stuffing sounds delicious.

Whats wrong with stuffing a chicken, cav? I like things that all cook together. I usually put dinner in and go swimming or something while it cooks so one pot/pan meals are the best. Plus, the food gets the flavor of whatever meat your cooking.

I'm really questioning because I don't know what, other than pulling the stuffing out of a chicken's ass, is wrong with this method?

Usually I don't stuff a chicken when I roast it, or I stuff it with rice. But now that Mr. B is rice-phobic....

You can get the same results by simply making a bed of diced vegetables in the pan, and then roasting the chicken on top with the garlic and herbs in the cavity.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 12:25 pm
Well okay then, maybe I'll try that.

What about jicama? Would that work too?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 12:41 pm
Diced up, maybe, but jicama is best julienned and served raw. Maybe toss it into the spinach salad?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 12:45 pm
Hmmmmm.

Now thats an idea....
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 12:52 pm
If you have it all on hand, fresh spinach, jicama, lime juice, olive oil, salt and cayenne to taste.....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 01:00 pm
I have all of it but limes.

I do have lemons, though, and I have everything else. I love anything with cayenne pepper.

That really sounds wonderful - and different.

Perhaps I'll try it with lemon juice.

Thanks!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 01:01 pm
Lemon would work just fine. :cool:
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 01:02 pm
Oh one more thing -

Is this something you should toss and let sit or something that you'd want to add the dressing to right before eating?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 01:03 pm
I would say just toss it at the last minute.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 01:04 pm
Okay. I'll make it to serve with my chicken tonight!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 01:08 pm
Let us know how it all turns out.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 01:14 pm
I will.

And thanks again!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 07:32 pm
Okay. Everything is either cooking or prepped.

I cheated and improvised a bit.

Since I wasn't stuffing the chicken I butterflied it - less cooking time and more surface area for seasonings to stick to. (I hpe this was't a mistake.) I threw some asparagus, onion and mushrooms into the bottom of the pan.

I think my lemons were a little sickly - not too much flavor (limes would have definately been better) so I added just a pinch of ginger, soy sauce and dry mustard. That seemed to zing it up a bit. (Please don't kill me, cav.)

Since I was spending so much time in the kitchen I ended up making this marscapone cheese/fresh berry/baked berry desert too. (I'd already baked the berry's so it wasn't too time consuming.)

Mr. B. is likely to think that I'm cheating on him!
0 Replies