The existence of God

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 7 May, 2020 04:10 am
@BillRM,
Well, that is in fact how the story goes in 'the book' as well.
Why so incredulous ?
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Thu 7 May, 2020 09:47 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Once more the god in the bible is an evil god on the face of it in human terms.

You assert this without explaining your logic. You're making assumptions about the relationship of evil to God and what criteria should be used to deem God good or evil based on the existence of evil in the creation.

Quote:
Moses who when he first become aware that his people had misbehavior when he was on the mountain with god the first time order his supporters to kill at random among his own people until his supporters was too tired to move their swords?????

Which verse are you taking about here?

Quote:
Thou shalt not kill did not apply at that point and even later after he replaced the tablets when his people wipe out a whole city full of people who only crime was living on lands they wish to own.

Moses received the laws. If people failed to keep the law, does that make the law any less valid? The speed limit was 55mph in the 1980s but many people didn't obey it, so does that mean it was wrong to limit speed to 55mph by law?

Quote:
Moses Breaks the Tablets
…27He told them, “This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: ‘Each of you men is to fasten his sword to his side, go back and forth through the camp from gate to gate, and slay his brother, his friend, and his neighbor.’” 28The Levites did as Moses commanded, and that day about three thousand of the people fell dead. 29Afterward, Moses said, “Today you have been ordained for service to the LORD, since each man went against his son and his brother; so the LORD has bestowed a blessing on you this day.”…
Berean Study Bible

If you read further, it says,
Quote:

"30The next day Moses said to the people, "You have committed a great sin. But now I will go up to the LORD; perhaps I can make atonement for your sin."

31So Moses went back to the LORD and said, "Oh, what a great sin these people have committed! They have made themselves gods of gold.

32But now, please forgive their sin--but if not, then blot me out of the book you have written."

33The LORD replied to Moses, "Whoever has sinned against me I will blot out of my book.

You are taking things out of context and reducing them to a superficial level instead of reading the whole passage and searching for the deeper meaning.
BillRM

Reply Thu 7 May, 2020 10:18 am
@livinglava,
If the punishment for going over 55 speed is not only your death by law but most of your family including children that would be an evil law on it face.

The old testament god is an evil god an knowing that how could anyone worship him is beyond me an have always been beyond me even as a young child.

Thanks god that such a sick being is only the dream of sick priests an does not exist anymore then all of the others gods that mankind had come up with.
livinglava

Reply Thu 7 May, 2020 11:08 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

If the punishment for going over 55 speed is not only your death by law but most of your family including children that would be an evil law on it face.

You keep taking things out of context. The 55mph example was to illustrate how a law can be good, yet people still might not obey it. That doesn't make the law wrong/bad.

Now you are changing the topic to the severity of punishment with regard to the crime. What's your point? That humans suffer worse than we act? When someone kills someone else, they die. It is simple cause and effect. What is more fair than that?

You drive 55mph into a pole and your face hits the airbag at 55mph plus whatever speed the airbag pops out of the dash. How can you call a 60mph punch in the face unjustly harsh punishment for crashing into a pole when the consequences were determined by the laws of physics/nature?

Quote:
The old testament god is an evil god an knowing that how could anyone worship him is beyond me an have always been beyond me even as a young child.

The Bible teaches about general principles using stories. You have to study the stories to decipher what they are conveying in terms of deeper meaning.

Your reading is defying the purpose of the scripture, which is not to react against the harshness. It would be like if you rejected the story of the boy who cried wolf because of the harshness of the wolves winning at the end.

Quote:
Thanks god that such a sick being is only the dream of sick priests an does not exist anymore then all of the others gods that mankind had come up with.

I appreciate the tenderness of your heart, but you're making a mistake by reacting to these stories with rejection. If you are able to read/study/reflect more deeply to discover the valuable meanings and lessons, you will find the stories beneficial and not just fear-mongering.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 8 May, 2020 10:35 am
@jwagner,
jwagner wrote:

Seems legit, what do you think the purpose of life is then? If all we do is live and then die with no hope for afterlife then what reason do I have to live? or is there an afterlife?

So you think that the universe owed you an afterlife or at the very least a purpose an otherwise your life is pointless??????

How odd but feel free to cut your throat as there is no god or purpose and there need not be.
livinglava

Reply Sat 9 May, 2020 01:11 pm
@BillRM,
jwagner wrote:

Seems legit, what do you think the purpose of life is then? If all we do is live and then die with no hope for afterlife then what reason do I have to live? or is there an afterlife?

Life is its own purpose. Look at an apple tree, for example. It lives to do all the things it does as a tree: grow, make shade, absorb CO2, make apples, feed the apples to animals who spread its seeds.

You as a living thing, a human, have purpose of human life. Human life is a bit more complex because you have a very strong mental ability to choose between many different life paths and actions in various ways.

But everything you do with your energy, effort, money, etc. has effects; so you should choose to influence the world in the best way that you can, and to harm it as little as possible; and that included not harming yourself, because you are part of it.

There is afterlife because consciousness is fundamental in the universe. We have a very concentrated form of consciousness and strong, complex minds; so we disregard lower/subtler forms of consciousness, but all living things have some level of consciousness, and thus it is logical that there is also even subtler and more diffuse consciousness throughout non-living systems.

So when an organism dies, all its constituent aspects must continue on in some form other other, so why not the consciousness as well? You may lose your memory and/or mind, senses, etc. after your body dies, but somehow that soul that experiences itself as you in your current form will continue on to experience some aspect of the universe in some way, so you can only hope that whatever experiences happen to your soul after your body dies are more heavenly than hellish (and of course there are religions available to you that you are already familiar with that you can go to for guidance, e.g. the Bible and people who study it and offer counsel to anyone who is sincerely seeking it).
0 Replies

cj1000

Reply Wed 20 May, 2020 11:28 pm
@jwagner,
Yes.
0 Replies

cj1000

Reply Wed 20 May, 2020 11:29 pm
@jwagner,
Yes
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 06:22 am
@cj1000,
Dave's not here
0 Replies

theMadOne

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2022 05:43 am
@jwagner,
You have no further to look than yourself!
0 Replies