All Time Favorite FUNK songs

jjfree38

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2016 02:57 pm
@Real Music,
You are absolutely right about their tight vocals and the arrangements. Actually...that is one of the things that I've picked up on when I was first introduced to Cameo and as they released more music..their sound and their vocals improved so much. I've seen them in concert a couple of times and they were incredible.

Check these out as well:

1. Shalamar - "Playing To Win"

2. Shalamar - "Night To Remember"

3. The Whispers - "Keep On Loving Me"

4. Cameo - "Single Life"

5. Instant Funk - "I Got My Mind Up"

Real Music

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 10:35 pm
@jjfree38,
That's some good song choices. Did you know that that two members of the group Shalamar got their starts as Soul Train dancers on the television show (Soul Train)? The group Shalamar consisted of Howard Hewitt, Jody Watley, and Jeffrey Daniels. Both, Jody Watley and Jeffrey Daniels were Soul Train dancers in the 1970s. I seem to remember that the producers of the television show Soul Train selected dancers from the television show to create and produce a new group called Shalamar. Shalamar ended up releasing several hit songs from the late 1970s to the early 1980s.

Here's a montage of mostly a young 14 year old Jody Watley to a young adult Jody Watley. This montage is from 1973 to 1978. Also much of the montage you will see her dance partner Jeffrey Daniels. Both of them along with Howard Hewett eventually became Shalamar.

Real Music

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 10:55 pm
Make that move: (by Shalamar)

A night to remember: (by Shalamar)

Second time around: ((by Shalamar)
0 Replies

jjfree38

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 02:26 pm
@Real Music,
Yes..I did know about them being on Soul Train before becoming the group Shalamar. I have all of their CDs too. I don't know if you are familiar with the show "Unsung" but last month...the show featured Howard Hewett who mentioned towards the end of the show that there are now two Shalamar groups. He and Jeffrey Daniels are in the same group with a new female singer and Jody Watley has a Shalamar group with two younger guys. Hewett and Daniels also mentioned that they tried to get Jody to rejoin them and to do a reunion tour but she declined and still hold some bitterness in regards to something that occurred many years ago and she is not willing to let it go. Also, a few years ago...there was a segment on the group Shalamar where at that time...Daniels and Watley both had issues with Hewett which kind of implied that he was touted as the primary lead singer of the group and he had took that platform to another extreme level. Otherwise...they implied that he became very arrogant. Therefore, at that time..the both of them had very bad things to say about Hewett and when Babyface tried to get them back together...these two did not want to do it and when Babyface recruited them to join him on his remake of their classic hit.."For The Lover In You" ...Watley did not want to be filmed in the same room with Hewett and insisted on filming her segments for the video separately. Sorry for rambling on...just wanted to share with you the information that I knew in regard to Shalamar.

Here are some funk classics for you to enjoy:

1. One Way feat. Al Hudson - "Pop What You Got"

2. One Way feat. Al Hudson - "Pull Fancy Dancer Pull"

3. Rose Royce - "Get Up Off Your Fat" - I love the piano break over the funky bass line towards the last minute and a half of the song...check it out.

4. Rose Royce - "Do Your Dance"

5. George Clinton feat. Prince - "Paradigm"

6. James Brown - "Sex Machine" - Just had to add this....one of my all time favorite JB classics.

0 Replies

richardkane

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2016 08:06 am
@glitterbag,
"Slide" by (Lakeside) Smile
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2016 11:21 pm
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 4 May, 2017 10:01 am
That's what I like: (by Bruno Mars)
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2017 03:25 am

Ray J ft Lil Kim, Pharrell - Wait A Minute
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2017 04:31 am
This my favourite funk song.

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2017 01:15 am

HISTORICAL DOCUMENTARY OF FUNK MUSIC
The Story of Funk - One Nation under a Groove.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 11:36 pm
Michael Jackson - P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2017 12:54 am
Brandy - Best Friend (1995)

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2017 09:22 pm

Lucy Pearl - Trippin'
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2017 06:43 pm
Justin Timberlake - Rock Your Body

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2017 10:15 pm
Janet Jackson - Alright (Shortened Version)
ft. Heavy D

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2017 10:20 pm
Janet Jackson - The Pleasure Principle

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2018 08:44 pm
Aaron Hall - Don't Be Afraid
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 11:46 am