Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 10:59 pm
This is a novelty tune by WAS (not was) - Walk the dinosaur

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYKupOsaJmk&sns=em

I think it qualifies as Funk
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 10:45 pm
@glitterbag,
Your video link is coming up as (video not available)
Quote:
https://youtu.be/8lPEQNYD6ol

Not the best presentation of "Wanna take you Higher" done live on u/i TV show

Yes, I agree Sly & The Family Stone were definitely one of earliest pioneers of funk music.

Sly And The Family Stone had a string of hits. Remember this funky song by Sly.

glitterbag

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 10:59 pm
@Real Music,
Sorry the link doesn't work, I sampled 8 or 9 different cuts trying to avoid that "no video available". And I thought I finally got it right, Darn.

To answer your question, do I remember that cut from Sly??? Can you say Woodstock??? Sly close the concert. I have everything they ever released...starting with 45's, then 33 and a third LP's, later those stupid & tracks then the cassettes and now CD's. I don't want to ever swap out my music again for a new system. But I still have all the other methods and mothballed the equipment needed to play them. I still have my turn table.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 11:00 pm
@Real Music,
Do I remember, are you nuts, we used to play all of Sly's stuff when we were getting ready for a party. I still put on I wanna take you higher,mid I need a mood lift.
Real Music

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 12:24 am
@glitterbag,
James Brown had many titles. Soul Brother Number 1. Hardest Working Man In Show Biz. Godfather Of Soul. He also had several other nicknames. One of his many nicknames was (The King of Funk). Many people are not aware that James Brown created the origins of funk music. Many people are not aware that James Brown laid the ground work and the foundation of funk music from the very beginning. He was breaking all known music rules to make his own rules. In doing so, he literally created funk music. I'm not sure of the time frame. I believe he started making funk music during the 1960s.

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 04:28 pm

"Just Fine" by (Mary J Blige)
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 04:35 pm

"Control" by (Janet Jackson)
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 05:08 pm

"Encore" by (Cheryl Lynn)
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 10:44 pm

"We Don't Wanna Sit Down We Wanna Get Down" by (Brick)
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 11:56 pm
This one of the first songs I remember from Tina Turner, and I was too young to buy it (1960) This on-air performance is a little raw...I like the original recording better. Of course as she developed her voice, her most recent recordings are superior. The Ikettes back her up, but in later years they all develop a fine stage act.

http://youtu.be/9VO6fgk_Tsw

This is what we called funk years ago, a little raw but powerful
Real Music

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 09:58 pm
@glitterbag,
Someone once ask me what is funk music. I had to think for a moment. I could easily give a list of examples of funk songs and funk groups. The hard part was to answer the question of what is funk music without using examples of songs or groups. How would you describe what is Funk music? How would you describe the meaning of funk music? How would you describe the essence of funk music? I like to hear different people definition of funk. Depending on who you ask, you will get all kinds of answers.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 10:01 pm
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2016 11:10 am
I came across this documentary of (FUNK MUSIC). It is basically a assortment of many different people telling in their own words what is funk music to them. In their own words they are describing the sound, the history, the feel, the culture, the meaning, the evolution, the essence, the mood, the attitude, the style, the groove, the musicianship, the influences, the groups, the bands, the performers, the artistry, and any other way they can verbally describe (FUNK MUSIC)

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2016 08:12 pm
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2016 08:16 pm
0 Replies

Bonnie98

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 03:00 am
@Real Music,

Higher Ground - Stevie Wonder
Play That Funky Music (White Boy) - Wild Cherry
Car Wash - Rose Royce
Brick House - Commodores
Fire - Ohio Players
Low Rider - War
Pick Up the Pieces - Average White Band
Got to Give It Up Part I - Marvin Gaye
More Bounce to the Ounce Part I - Zapp & Roger
Jungle Boogie - Kool & The Gang
Real Music

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 10:38 pm
@Bonnie98,
That's a pretty good list you have. I like all of the songs on your list.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 11:57 pm
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 12:01 am
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2016 11:49 pm
0 Replies