All Time Favorite FUNK songs

Real Music

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2016 05:52 pm

Boogie Body Land: (by The Bar-Kays)
0 Replies

jjfree38

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2016 07:40 pm
@Real Music,
Whooooaa....okay....goood ones....alright...now you know I gotta come back with more...right????...lol...and here I come!!!!

1. Brainstorm - "Lovin' Is Really My Game" - need I say anything about this one....????....I'm speechless...

2. DeBarge - "Stop! Don't Tease Me" - I was a big fan of DeBarge's music especially their love songs...but this upbeat, funky number threw me for a curve...I did not know they had it in them to create this...all time favorite by them.

3. Switch - "Best Beat In Town" - This song brings back a lot of memories for me because I had this friend who was a DJ and he would always open up his set with this song and even had a dance routine to go with it. He could really dance and had some great moves.

4. Ray Parker Jr. & Raydio - "For Those Who Like To Groove" - This was another one of my favorite groups. My mom even loved this song.

Real Music

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2016 10:55 pm
@jjfree38,
I remember (Best Beat In Town) by Switch. I also remember the song by Ray Parker Jr. & Raydio. I know the group Debarge, but I never heard this particular song. Did you know Bobby Debarge and Tommy Debarge were first in the group Switch before they and the Debarge family formed the group Debarge? If you listen to some of the slow songs by Switch, you will hear distinct voices of Debarge. Songs would include (I Call Your Name), (There'll Never Be), and (Love Over And Over).

Now, back to the funk. See if you can remember these two jams.

jjfree38

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2016 12:45 pm
@Real Music,
Yes, I am very familiar with the group Switch and the DeBarge brothers. I have several of their CDs including the Best Of. Just like DeBarge, they were known for their slower songs like the ones you've mentioned as opposed to their upbeat material as the one I posted which was pretty popular. However, (Best Beat) was a huge hit for them. ... and yes, I do remember the William DeVaughn song because I have that on CD as well as the Foster Sylvers' song which was his only hit record and now...he's been in jail for over a decade now.
0 Replies

jjfree38

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2016 07:11 pm
@Real Music,
Hey...what do you think about these?

1. Ray Parker Jr. and Raydio - "It's Your Night"

2. Gwen McCrae - "Funky Sensation"

3. Prince - "Sexy Dancer"

4. Average White Band - "I'm The One"

Real Music

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2016 09:57 pm
@jjfree38,
Yeah, I know Gwen Mcrae (Funky Sensation) and Prince (Sexy Dancer) song. That's some funky stuff. Tell me if you feeling these jams.

jjfree38

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 05:59 pm
@Real Music,
Yes..I am very aware of these two artists and I have a couple of Club Noveau CDs. I am familiar with the song by Bill Summers but I am more familiar with his work with Herbie Hancock's group the Headhunters.

Okay...so...what about these jam picks of mine:

1. The Pointer Sisters - "How Long (Betcha Got A Chick On The Side)"

2. The Pointer Sisters - "Yes We Can Can"

3. James Brown - "I Can't Stand It (When You Touch Me) Pts. 1-2 - This song is total funk all the way. Check out that killer bass run in the middle of the song.

4. Bobby Byrd - "I Know You Got Soul"

Real Music

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 11:21 pm
@jjfree38,
I remember both of these Pointer Sisters songs back in the 1970s. In fact (Yes We Can Can) was my favorite Pointer Sister song. Also (Yes We Can Can) was the first Pointer Sister song I ever heard. I also know the James Brown and Bobby Byrd jams. When you're talking about James Brown and Bobby Byrd, you are talking about the Funk originators. These guys actually created the genre of Funk from the very beginning.

Quote:
Bobby Byrd played an integral and important part in the development of soul and funk music in association with James Brown. Byrd was the actual founder of The Flames and is credited with the discovery of James Brown. Byrd helped to inspire the musical aspirations of James Brown, who launched his career with Byrd. Although Byrd would eventually have over twenty years as a solo performer, it is his association with Brown for which he is chiefly remembered.

The early songs, most of which Byrd participated, featured Byrd and contributed a great deal to establishing Brown's career before he finally became a full-fledged solo artist with the release of "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" in 1965. Bobby Byrd has been recognized as one of the most important, yet unsung, founders of Funk

Quote:
James Brown was the founding father of funk music. His success peaked in the 1960s with the live album Live at the Apollo. During the late 1960s he moved from a continuum of blues and gospel-based forms and styles to a profoundly "Africanized" approach to music-making that influenced the development of funk music. By the early 1970s, Brown had fully established the funk sound.

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 11:38 pm

She's A Bad Mama Jama: (by Carl Carlton)
Real Music

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 11:40 pm

Sticky Situation: (by Tyrone Brunson)
0 Replies

jjfree38

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 06:43 pm
@Real Music,
I remember these two jams; my older brother and sister used to play them all the time. My sister loved the Carl Carlton song while my brother used to play the grooves out of Sticky Situation. Thanks for posting the information on the Godfather James Brown ...and you're right...he is the originator of funk and a lot of his music catalog can still stand with the sounds of today's music.

So...what do you think of these???

1. Patrice Rushen - "Look Up" - love her music still.

2. Patrice Rushen - "Watch Out"

3. Chuck Brown and The Soul Searchers - "Bustin' Loose" - aaah memories...

4. Rufus feat. Chaka Khan - "You Got The Love" - Now...I'm not sure if this has already been posted but if so...it deserves to be posted again.

5. Rufus feat. Chaka Khan - "Highlight" - this funky jam is from the "Camouflage" album which was the last full studio album that the group recorded with Chaka. I looove this song because it was so funky. The thing is that when this album was released, it was not as popular as their previous efforts and now...collectors are scrambling to get it on CD which is an import now and very expensive I might add. This song is really funky in my opinion.

Real Music

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 11:45 pm
@jjfree38,
I remember Chuck Brown's song (Bustin Out) getting a lot radio airplay around the late 1970s. Chuck Brown was the father Go Go Funk. Go Go Funk started in the Washington D.C. area by Chuck Brown in the late 1970s. Here are a few songs released during 1980s that incorporated or was influenced by Go Go Funk.

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2016 12:07 am
@jjfree38,
I am big fan of Chaka Kahn. Especially when she was lead singer of the group (Rufus). I also liked her solo career after she left (Rufus). I just think her Rufus stuff was her best stuff. (You Got The Love) was one of those Rufus jams I was into.

Patrice Rushen had a few songs I liked in the late 1970s and early 1980s. My favorite Patrice Rushen song was (Haven't You Heard).

jjfree38

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2016 04:50 pm
@Real Music,
Yeah...I loved Rufus and Patrice Rushen. I have all of their CDs.

Check these out:

1. Aretha Franklin - "Rock Steady - Extended Version" - One of my all time favorite songs by her.

2. The Isley Brothers - "Take Me To The Next Phase - 12' Version"

3. Sweet - "Funk It Up (David's Song) - 12' Version - This was a British glam rock group that was pretty popular during the 70's....but when they released this song...urban radio and the clubs picked this up and it became a huge hit.

Real Music

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2016 10:17 pm
@jjfree38,
It's time to break out some Isley Brothers.

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2016 10:21 pm
You Know How To Love Me: (by Phyllis Hyman)

jjfree38

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 02:42 pm
@Real Music,
I love the Isley Brothers and Phyllis Hyman. I have a lot of their CDs and I have seen them in concert. What do you think about these???

1. Graham Central Station - "Entrow"

2. Graham Central Station - "Now Do You Wanta Dance"

3. The Commodores - "Machine Gun" - this is the song that introduced me to the Commodores.

4. The Commodores - "Fancy Dancer - 12' Version"

Real Music

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 10:50 pm
@jjfree38,
Being that you are a big fan of Graham Central Station, I figure you might like this brief acapella song. Of course, I gotta through a little Commodores in the mix.

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 11:11 pm
Object of my desire: (by Starpoint)

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 11:22 pm