Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2021 01:13 am
WHAT IS SYNCOPATION IN MUSIC?

Syncopation in music is the concept of playing rhythms that accent or emphasize the offbeats.
It shifts or displaces a standard rhythm by stressing beats generally not stressed.

The time signature of a piece of music identifies a consistent pattern of strong and weak beats.
A syncopated rhythm shifts this pattern by emphasizing weak upbeats instead of the strong downbeats.

For example, songs with a 4/4 time signature usually stress the first and third beats.
However, a syncopated rhythm may emphasize the second and fourth beats or notes between them.

https://iconcollective.edu/what-is-syncopation-in-music/#:~:text=Syncopation%20in%20music%20is%20the%20concept%20of%20playing,a%20consistent%20pattern%20of%20strong%20and%20weak%20beats.

Syncopation is a musical term meaning a variety of rhythms played together to make a piece of music, making part or all of a tune or piece of music off-beat.

More simply, syncopation is "a disturbance or interruption of the regular flow of rhythm": a "placement of rhythmic stresses or accents where they wouldn't normally occur"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syncopation
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 832 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2021 01:14 am
3 Dudes Boogie Woogie on a Piano in Austin Texas

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2021 01:32 am
Aquaboogie - Parliament

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2021 01:39 am
Insane, Insane Again · The J. Geils Band

]
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2021 01:49 am
Syncop8tion - Strasbourg St. Denis (Roy Hargrove)

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2021 02:00 am
Dr. Funkenstein - Parliament

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2021 02:09 am
Outkast - Elevators (Me & You)

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2021 02:42 am
The Cold Sweat scene from the movie: Get on up

0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2021 03:40 am
bookmark
farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2021 05:33 am
@hightor,
I like some of the attempts by Ferde Grofe. He did the full orchestration of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue and he added the tones pf syncopation that define severl of the big passages. Also his small jazz works and , of Course Grand Canyon Suite.
Ive played the CD of "Finding Forrester", till its almost dead.Its a 90's movie about an urban hermit writer and his protege. The music score was taken from pieces by Miles Davis, with several pieces devoted to the use of syncopation to drive them and create atmosphere.

Emerson Lake and Palmer's Fanfare for the Common Man was recorded in an outdoor stadium which drove it s syncopation almost entirely by echo. Ya gotta be 70 years old to remember EL&P
hightor

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2021 05:54 am
@farmerman,
Here's one of my favorites — I remember trying to play this in my band and how hard it was to get the groove right...and then once we did, how good it felt!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Syncopation in music.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 04:34:22