How does the name "Angel" sound for a baby girl?

Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 08:50 am
I heard it has a negative connotation often used in a ridicule such as "You are such an Angel". Any thoughts? Thanks.

chai2

Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 09:01 am
@Angelgz2,
I don't know how someone saying "you are such an angel" would be ridicule.

However, I don't care for the name for baby girls, as baby girls grow up to be adult women, and I think that should be the major consideration in naming.

No offense to grown women already named Angel, as you had nothing to do with that.

I don't think that a person should be tagged for life with a name that may not fit into the adults profession or personality.

At the least, if one is insistant on that name, make it their middle name. Give them a name with dignity like Katherine, Elizabeth, Anne etc.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 09:17 am
@Angelgz2,
Angèle is my daughter's name, and a regular French female name, similar to Angella.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 09:34 am
@chai2,
I agree with Chai - I like Angel for a baby girl but as an adult woman not so much.

But overall you need to pick a name you like - but do consider things such as the name fitting for being a baby/young child/teen and adult as it will remain with them throughout their life.

I remember my husband liking one of the names I choose for a teen or adult, but it wasn't "cute" enough for a younger child or baby. Funny the cuter name even though she is a teen that we went with fits her perfectly --- it is cute but not young cute (if that makes sense at all).

also if you really like Angel as a baby name - you certainly can (and most likely will ) call her that. I called my girls Angel as babies from time to time -- but then again there were times when an opposite name fit them better.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 10:08 am
@Angelgz2,
Doesn't really matter how it sounds for a baby girl. What matters is how it sounds for someone older.

You can use all kinds of nicknames when you talk to a baby but think about what the person will be called as an adult.

To me, Angel is one of those names that sounds like they're from the 80's, kind of like Jewel, Ashley, Krystle and Emerald. Blake is one of the boy names from that era. Kind of soap-opera-y of that day.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 10:15 am
What about Angela?
0 Replies

Cinderellie74

Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 10:47 am
I don't think there is anything wrong with the name Angel. You could find problems or what not with any name given. Take for example naming a child Jesus and all that goes along with that. It is a perfectly good name as is Angel at least in my opinion.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 11:19 am
In my opinion, a first name assists an adult to "fit in" when employed. Meaning someone with a fairly mainstream name will possibly be more amenable to management, assuming the venue is mainstream (i.e., corporate world). My reasoning is based on the thinking that a name, in the minds of many, could imply the type of parent that that named person had, and correlate to the way the person was raised. So, a mainstream name can give people the feeling that that person's parents believed in the work ethic and honesty, for example.

So, I would feel better about having to interact with someone named Elizabeth, rather than someone with a name out of mythology.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 11:37 am
Angel is a common name for boys in Spanish.
engineer

Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 11:45 am
From babynamewizard.com

Quote:
Personal experiences with the name Angel: | Edit
I would say that I love my name about 80% of the time. It's unique and cute and generally helps with making a good first impression.
The other 20% is just annoying. I've been asked numerous times if I've ever been a stripper, or get super lame pickup lines such as:
"You look like an Angel"
"Did it hurt when you fell from Heaven?"
"Where are your wings?"

Ugh.
The other thing that I've noticed about my name is that whenever I introduce myself as ANGEL, people always have the tendency to lengthen it to "Angela" or "Angelina" even though that's not my name.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 01:15 pm
@ehBeth,
I think it depends on one's culture, sometimes maybe religion (or not). In the US, women are often named Angela or Angelina. Even my fairly famous playboy bunny neighbor was named Angela. Things might be different where I'm from (Los Angeles) than in other parts of the country or the globe.

A friend and I got to be pals in Ciudad de Mexico with a business man whose first name was Angel - I think it is somewhat common among spanish names, not sure about for women, maybe them too.

I don't personally know women named Angel in English instead of Angela, and don't know if others take that as somehow different from Angela.
0 Replies

Angelgz2

Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 01:30 pm
@Angelgz2,
Thanks guys. Many of you have a good point -- it's not so much of a problem as a baby but this name would be a potential problem when they grow older, into the professional world. It's $258 to change it in my county and it's a lot of hassle, but oh well, I guess it's worth it to change to a more common name. Thanks!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 02:15 pm
For those who have mentioned Angela, that is a fine name.

I suppose it is a derivative of Angel, but that one added letter makes all the difference on the world as far as I'm concerned.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 02:44 pm
@InfraBlue,
I've had boy students of Mexican extraction (is that correct? meh) named Angel and I like that; however, for white girls, it seems trailer-y.

What about Angelica, Angelina? (Love it.)
chai2

Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 05:40 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

however, for white girls, it seems trailer-y.

Thanks Lash, I'm glad you said that. I was going to submit that observation, but I figured the usual suspects would make their usual needle in the haystack observations.

I don't know what country the OP is writing from, so I can only talk about English.

True, a Mexican man named Angel sounds quite normal.
Same with a man named Jesus. No problem if they live in Mexico or in most cases the U.S. However, I do see a lot of American born boys who's parents are from Mexico call themself Jesse, or Chuy, if their name is Jesus. An aside, I have no idea why Chuy is a nickname for Jesus. I've asked people who I thought would know, and they didn't. I guess it's a 3rd or 4th step away, like Peggy for Margaret.
Other thing, a name that might sound dorky for a white kid is totally cool for a Mexican....Like Herman.

I don't know a word of French, but when Olivier said his dtr was named Angele, I went to an quick online translator and typed in "angel" and got the translation of "L'ange" I thinking perhaps Angele is more like the English version of Angela. That one letter in English makes all the difference between a quite nice name and once that does make you wonder if the mother lived in a double wide.

Again, forgive me if you were given these unfortunate names, but whenever I hear the name Crystal or Tiffany I want to ask if they were given a stripper pole for their 5th birthday present. Angel is kind of like that.

chai2

Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 05:46 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

From babynamewizard.com

Quote:
Personal experiences with the name Angel: | Edit
I would say that I love my name about 80% of the time. It's unique and cute and generally helps with making a good first impression.
The other 20% is just annoying. I've been asked numerous times if I've ever been a stripper, or get super lame pickup lines such as:
"You look like an Angel"
"Did it hurt when you fell from Heaven?"
"Where are your wings?"

Ugh.
The other thing that I've noticed about my name is that whenever I introduce myself as ANGEL, people always have the tendency to lengthen it to "Angela" or "Angelina" even though that's not my name.

heh, I see Engineer already had a quote with someone named Angel saying just that.

Since the Angel in this case is talking about getting picked up and being "cute" I imagine she's still fairly young. Making a good first impression? Of what? That you're "cute"?

Yeah, I guess if you're under let's say 22 being called cute is more important, and being asked if you were ever a stripper is seen as funny.
Give that woman a few more years, and the 80%/20% feelings about her name may flip flop.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 07:15 pm
@chai2,
Well thanks. I often wondered where Chuy came from. Now, I only have to wonder why.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Sat 7 May, 2016 02:14 pm
This may cause a bit of a stir with the non Brits here, but if your average Brit found out that a mother had named their baby Angel, most of us would immediately think 'Jeremy Kyle'.
chai2

Reply Sat 7 May, 2016 03:38 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Inquiring minds want to know.

Would be be for the same reason a Yank might think "Jerry Springer"?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 7 May, 2016 04:05 pm
@chai2,
Yeah, but Jerry Springer is likeable and up front about the garbage he airs. Jeremy Kyle is a hypocritical sanctimonious arse with a Jesus complex.

Other than that, you're spot on.