OSCAR, Best Actor

hiama

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 09:20 am
Wouldn't it be great if Meryl Streep got another Oscar, she was so gracious and empathetic at the BAFTA awards. Thats our Brit watered down equivalent of the Oscars, a lot of people could take a lead from her. Wonderful woman. :~-)
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 09:26 am
Especially since it's been 20 years since she won her last Oscar for Sophie's Choice. Of course this is her ninth nomination since then...
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 10:07 am
Kidman or Zellweger--so close so very close. The actors division is the largest division in the Academy so it will probably be Zellweger but I am praying for Kidman.

Zellweger's bubbly personality certainly has not hurt her and Kidman's cooler demeanor (probably fear) might be giving a 2% edge to Zellweger which could put her over the top.

In addition Zellweger looked like she was working harder in her performance and don't under estimate that with the academy voters.

Remember Sally Fields "You like me, you really like me".....
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 10:18 am
I agree with all your points, couzz, but I'm not convinced that the Academy is ready to give the Oscar for a musical.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 12:00 pm
Lewis won the SAG, does that make him the frontrunner now?

Macsm.......It is time Exclamation
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 12:06 pm
Hiama,
...Why is the the Brit version, called watered down. I know nothing about, I'm just asking. Shocked
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 03:31 pm
Booman:

SAG members who voted Day-Lewis the winner obviously respected his performance. But the SAG members (actors) only make up part of the members of the academy. All the voting members of the Academy (in all divisions), vote for best actor, actress, etc. That's why is always so hard to call.

Most of the Academy members will be making up their minds between now and Tuesday (March 18) because the voting ballots are due then.

Within the next 48 hours start watching for the Hollywood buzz.
Any gossip before the Sag's you more or less eliminate. It's a fickle group and they can change their minds like the wind.

Current gossip is Nicholson is down and Brody is coming up but neither as high as Day-Lewis. Right now if there is to be an upset, it will be Brody. But wait some nasty gossip is coming in about Polanski and his old legal problem with an underage girl. I guess this is why I don't watch soap operas at night.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 06:03 pm
Wilso,
I once lived in a building that housed the majority of the graduate students in Wayne State Univesity's theatre department. We had to borrow a tv to watch the Oscar's. No booze. No dope. Just tv. Never had more fun with the tube!
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 10:02 pm
Okay gang, let's make our own predictions:

Picture..........Chicago
Director........Scorcese
Actor............Day-Lewis
Actress........Moore
S. Actor.......Walken
S. Actress....Zeta-Jones
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 10:06 pm
Er.... I hope this is alright Larry. Embarrassed
0 Replies

muerte

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 10:07 pm
I match up exactly with Booman.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 10:12 pm
Muerte, you have impeccable taste. Cool Very Happy
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 12:08 am
The predictions booman? I was thinking about posting a new predictions topic in a few days. Should we do predictions for all the awards or just the major ones? Maybe the majors and a few of the others like Animated, Foreign, Documentary, Costumes, Cinematography.
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 02:56 am
Sounds good to me Larry-we could have a league table maybe 10 categories and at the end tot up marks out of 10 - what do you think ?
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 03:16 am
Sounds good, I'll check out the categories and post it today some time.
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 03:58 am
Ok look forward to it Larry Smile)
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 03:11 pm
There are a lot of very good performances this year. But there are many every year and that doesn't mean they will win...last year, I thought Judi Dench and Kate Winslet were amazing together in Iris and should have swept the Best Actress/Supporting Actress categories. They don't share vocal characteristics and yet they managed to portray the same woman in different stages of her life magnificently. Who did win in those categories.

I think Catherine Zeta-Jones was ordinary but that Queen Latifah pulled the rug out from under her more experienced fellow actresses. The suggestion of lesbianism was well done as was the toughness.

I liked Christopher Walken in Catch Me. Not certain who else is in his category.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 03:36 pm
Right Larry,
That's why I deferred to you, after I brazenly issued the challenge. Embarrassed
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 07:22 pm
Make your Oscar picks here:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5200
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 07:40 pm
And the winner is George W Bush for trying to act like he cares about America. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies