OSCAR, Best Actor

LarryBS

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 06:35 pm
If ever there was a shoo-in for an Oscar, it is About Schmidt's Nicholson for Best Actor - the academy loves Jack. Though I'd love to see Michael Caine get it for Quiet American. Any other ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,304 • Replies: 99
No top replies

Misti26

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 08:57 pm
Sorry Larry, I'm partial, I LOVE Jack! I haven't seen the movie yet, but plan to:)
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 09:44 pm
I think Jack would deserve it, but I just really like Michael Caine and since he is getting up there in years maybe it'll be his last shot at another Oscar.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 09:48 pm
Other possibilities: Daniel Day-Lewis, Adrien Brody, maybe Richard Gere?
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 09:55 pm
WHAT!!! Shocked No one so much as mentioned the gifted thespian, Adam Sandler? An outrage, I tell you. Laughing
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 12:28 am
That would be pretty cool to see Adrian Brody win it.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 11:42 pm
Daniel Day-Lewis is getting a lot of pre-nomination hoopla for Gangs of New York. He's won before, but, then again, so has Jack Nicholson. :wink:
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 12:17 am
I can't help but feel Jack always has an edge, but then I thought that the year of A Few Good Men and he lost.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 12:23 am
I saw About Schmidt, and I thought that Nicholson was wonderful in the part. He may have an edge now, 'cause he is probably nearing the conclusion of his career. I think he migh just win out as a sentimental favorite!
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 12:29 am
I'm not the only night owl in the Tampa Bay area, Phoenix!

I think the same thing about Michael Caine, he is well loved in Hollywood, and perhaps a few years older than Jack, but Jack always seems to take the prize if its close.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 02:59 pm
I saw Chicago this weekend . . . wow!

From that movie, I would nominate John C. Reilly for Best Supporting Actor.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 06:31 pm
Reilly and Phillip Seymour Hoffman have had so many great supporting performances. I hope they both meet Oscar some day.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 10:53 pm
Adrien Brody had the hardest job to do of any of the potential winners. Don't forget that for much of THE PIANIST he was alone onscreen, had to convey emotion nonverbally, through his eyes and facial expressions. I'd say he deserves to win just for pulling off a huge technical challenge as an actor. Of the others, Nicholson didn't do anything I haven't seen him do before, and Caine was fair, not great (although the movie itself was weak, which didn't help his performance.) I thought Gere sizzled in CHICAGO, but it was probably not a Best Actor performance. Supporting, probably. The one who won't even be vnominated but who really shone last year was Campbell Scott in ROGER DODGER--what a brilliant comic performance! Totally original and mesmerizing.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 10:54 pm
I apologize for triple-posting...the machine went crazy on me. Honestly!
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 11:13 pm
Very Happy

Larry<

Goodness, gracious, have you upset your machine?

Even so, I still vote for John C. Reilly. His version of "Mr. Cellophane" in Chicago is one of the film's most memorable moments.

I thought Richard Gere was excellent in a role more "splashy" than Reilly's. Gere, of course, would be the Academy's sentimental choice if he is nominated for Best Supporting Actor.
0 Replies

Tim King

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 11:19 pm
Brody should win, Nicholson will win. But one name I think is unfairly left out of all the Oscar chatter is Nicholas Cage for Adaptation.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 12:09 am
Tim<

All we're having on this forum is "chatter." The nominations haven't been announced Exclamation

I have not seen Adaptation, but I'm sure Mr. Cage does his usual fine job.

Wait and see . . . he may well be among the nominees.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 12:30 am
A double role far an actor of Cage's ability and status, I'd bet a little money on him getting a nomination, at least.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 02:16 am
Larry, thanks for the reminder about Campbell Scott, I remember seeing the review for Roger Dodger many months ago. Haven't seen the film.

I think the nominations are announced this coming Tuesday, I'm going to go with

Nicholson
Day-Lewis
Caine
Brody
Cage
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 10:35 am
There should be a separate Oscar for OVERacting. I'm sure Nic Cage would win it every year.
0 Replies