How can a good God allow suffering

peacecrusader888

Mon 17 Feb, 2020 02:05 am
@vikorr,
Quote:
Your date is not in the Bible. Anywhere. So believing in the Bible is not tied to your warning, and does not mean they should get out of the USA.

Do you realise how many other doomsdayers have existed in this world, completely and utterly believing their doomsday predictions? Not a one of them was right. History shows they continue to make excuses after their prophesied date passes, and history shows they were all, utterly wrong.

True, a date is not in the Holy Bible. But it is valid. The spirit of Ama said that World War III will start at Spratly Islands in the middle of the year on a Wednesday. Has World War III started already? It is 34 years since it was initially revealed. And there is an election this coming November.

Leadfoot

Mon 17 Feb, 2020 06:33 am
@peacecrusader888,
just curious. where does one go in the event of a thermonuclear war?
vikorr

Mon 17 Feb, 2020 06:35 am
@Leadfoot,
Ummm...Heaven or Hell one would presume - depending on how good you were before you got zapped.

...that last bit sounds a lot like pest control.
izzythepush

Mon 17 Feb, 2020 06:47 am
@Leadfoot,
Going on the presumption that lighting never strikes twice I'd say Hiroshima.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 18 Feb, 2020 07:46 am
Since we were warned to get out of the US before the WWIII date, I figured he had a suggestion.

Maybe code for 'Anybody but Trump'?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 18 Feb, 2020 07:52 am
@vikorr,
There is a certain logic in what you said. I mean we don’t torture the buggers.
0 Replies

peacecrusader888

Thu 20 Feb, 2020 02:57 am
Remember, I said that I guessed that English and Pilipino will be used throughout the world. Why Pilipino? Because it is phonetic - how you hear it is how you spell it; how you read is how you write it down. It s easy to learn. My parents-in-law never went to school yet my mother-in-law could read the more than 200-page Pasiong Mahal. The text that the spirit of Ama used is Pilipino. No more translation.
0 Replies

weslo88

Mon 9 Mar, 2020 06:47 pm
@SawyerMentink,
We all must suffer in our daily lives. Even Jesus Christ suffered while on earth. Only when our spirit leaves this earthly plane will all suffering stop. Then and only then will be able to rejoice basking in the light of God.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 9 Mar, 2020 08:02 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
just curious. where does one go in the event of a thermonuclear war?

Pacific coast of the US, well away from military installations and cities.

Best to have a large bunker (that you don't tell anyone about) with enough supplies to last you at least two years underground. Five years will be better.

Accept that you'll die from cancer at some point when you return to live on the surface. But people will be able to carry on with shortened lives for the next few centuries until the strontium and cesium decay away on the surface and the ozone layer rebuilds in the stratosphere.

A large supply of sunscreen will help with the missing ozone layer, but you'll eventually run out. There isn't much you'll be able to do about the cesium and strontium.

The nuclear winter should be over with by the time you come out of the bunker presuming that you stay underground for two or more years, so you probably won't have to worry about that.

Of course, much depends on the size of the nuclear war. My above advice presumes a very large nuclear war.
Leadfoot

Tue 10 Mar, 2020 04:08 am
@oralloy,
But isn’t it easier to just not want to do this silly routine anymore?

I’m no longer suicidal, but if I get blown to atoms in a thermonuclear blast, it'd be cool with me. Mean time? Enjoy the show.

Reminds me of my favorite SF novel of all times, 'Vintage Season'.
0 Replies

NealNealNeal

Sun 3 May, 2020 01:01 pm
@SawyerMentink,
Suffering is the result of Original Sin.
mesquite

Sun 3 May, 2020 05:00 pm
@NealNealNeal,
NealNealNeal wrote:

Suffering is the result of Original Sin.

Original sin- oh yeah, Adam and Eve ate from a tree that would give them the knowledge of right or wrong, something they did not have when committing the original sin. Some god you have there. It punishes all of succeeding generations forever only because the parents did something they did not even know was wrong.
NealNealNeal

Sun 3 May, 2020 09:28 pm
@mesquite,
God was quite clear in His instructions to Adam. God is righteous and holy.There are consequences to disobeying God.
Leadfoot

Mon 4 May, 2020 06:46 am
@NealNealNeal,
Quote:
God was quite clear in His instructions to Adam. God is righteous and holy.There are consequences to disobeying God.

Yes there were, and they got what God promised - They now knew good and evil and they died.

This was simply a transaction between A & E. God said you should not eat of that tree unless you want to know, and you will die if you do. There is no sin involved here. I in their place would have made the same choice. I simply cannot accept voluntary ignorance of something as important as good and evil.

For what it’s worth, I think God wanted them to know, even though he knew it would cause both he and them a lot of grief.
NealNealNeal

Mon 4 May, 2020 08:58 am
@Leadfoot,
Please remember that Eve was deceived by Satan. She and Adam were not happy after they disobeyed God (i
that is---sinned).
livinglava

Mon 4 May, 2020 09:54 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:

Yes there were, and they got what God promised - They now knew good and evil and they died.

This was simply a transaction between A & E. God said you should not eat of that tree unless you want to know, and you will die if you do. There is no sin involved here. I in their place would have made the same choice. I simply cannot accept voluntary ignorance of something as important as good and evil.

For what it’s worth, I think God wanted them to know, even though he knew it would cause both he and them a lot of grief.

I think you're interpreting the meaning of 'knowledge of good and evil" wrong.

Obviously they already knew it was evil to eat from that tree before they took the fruit, i.e. because God told them to avoid it.

God said they could choose between all the other trees/fruits because those were all good choices without any danger.

God basically just suggested they avoid danger by making only good choices, or they would harm themselves otherwise.
Leadfoot

Mon 4 May, 2020 10:12 am
@livinglava,
Quote:
Obviously they already knew it was evil to eat from that tree before they took the fruit, i.e. because God told them to avoid it.

It’s hard to ignore the obvious contradictions here.

Unless you mean that God was such a prick as to say to himself-

'They already know this, but I’m going to tell them that they do not. Then I’ll put this ordinary old tree here and tell them it will magically give it to them. You know, **** with their heads a little. Then tell'em they'll die, just to make sure they take the choice seriously.'

In case I have to say it, the last sentence there is the only one I actually believe.
livinglava

Mon 4 May, 2020 10:33 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:

It’s hard to ignore the obvious contradictions here.

Unless you mean that God was such a prick as to say to himself-

'They already know this, but I’m going to tell them that they do not. Then I’ll put this ordinary old tree here and tell them it will magically give it to them. You know, **** with their heads a little. Then tell'em they'll die, just to make sure they take the choice seriously.'

In case I have to say it, the last sentence there is the only one I actually believe.

God told them the truth, that they could choose from all the other trees/fruits. Then He told them that if they choose from the one tree, they would 'surely die.'

Think back to Trump's poison Skittle bowl: Someone offers you to take Skittles from a bowl that contains some poison Skittles. You know that if you get a poison Skittle, you will 'surely die,' even though there are some Skittles in the bowl that aren't poison.

So the serpent comes and lies to them and says the only reason God doesn't want them to eat from the poison Skittles bowl is that doing so will allow them to understand poison, as God does. So if they believe the serpent, they are going to go ahead and eat from that bowl and end up poisoning themselves, and as they lie there dying from the poison, the serpent is going to say, "see, now you understand how poison works, just as God does," and God is going to say, "see I told you that you would surely die if you eat from that bowl."

Now was God bad for warning you that you would 'surely die' if you ate from the bowl of poison Skittles, or was the serpent bad for tricking you into doing so and killing yourself?
0 Replies

NealNealNeal

Mon 4 May, 2020 11:39 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot------you touched on the real reason that people reject Christianity. In people's eyes God is INDEED "a prick. People do not like to know that God is HOLY. They refuse to acknowledge that God's love does not cancel His Holiness. Because of His love, Jesus took the punishment for our sins. He was the Sacrificial Lamb for our sins if we accept His gift. However, the person who rejects Jesus is still guilty before Holy God
People do not like a Holy God. They don't like the fact that the purpose of people is to glorify God. They think that this makes Good a so called prick.

livinglava

Mon 4 May, 2020 12:06 pm
@NealNealNeal,
NealNealNeal wrote:

Leadfoot------you touched on the real reason that people reject Christianity. In people's eyes God is INDEED "a prick. People do not like to know that God is HOLY. They refuse to acknowledge that God's love does not cancel His Holiness. Because of His love, Jesus took the punishment for our sins. He was the Sacrificial Lamb for our sins if we accept His gift. However, the person who rejects Jesus is still guilty before Holy God
People do not like a Holy God. They don't like the fact that the purpose of people is to glorify God. They think that this makes Good a so called prick.

I don't think you are using the term, 'holy,' correctly.

[/quote]