How can a good God allow suffering

peacecrusader888

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 07:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
Deuteronomy 13:12 states: "inquire, probe and investigate it thoroughly". Have you checked what the spirit of Ama said - that Jesus was born on 05-23 and died on 08-17? I have proved that they are correct. The results of my studies are in http://aristean.org/birthmay23.htm and http://aristean.org/crucifyidx.htm .

Who is the spirit of Ama?
Glennn

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 08:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
One thing's for sure. The god of the Bible does not like competition.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 08:27 pm
@peacecrusader888,
Haven't you learned yet that you can't use the same source to confirm its veracity.

I can compose a fictional book, and say within it that all is true. It just doesn't work that way in the "real" world.
edgarblythe

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 08:38 pm
@peacecrusader888,
peacecrusader888 wrote:

Deuteronomy 13:12 states: "inquire, probe and investigate it thoroughly". Have you checked what the spirit of Ama said - that Jesus was born on 05-23 and died on 08-17? I have proved that they are correct. The results of my studies are in http://aristean.org/birthmay23.htm and http://aristean.org/crucifyidx.htm .

Who is the spirit of Ama?

So you just pick and choose which parts to acknowledge.
peacecrusader888

Mon 26 Jun, 2017 07:46 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Haven't you learned yet that you can't use the same source to confirm its veracity.

I can compose a fictional book, and say within it that all is true. It just doesn't work that way in the "real" world.

How do we know from many religious beliefs which is true God? If there is one and "only true God" (John 17:3), then there must be numerous false gods.

Remember that I did not get the dates from thin air. They were told to me by old listeners in 1983 when I first went to the Session Hall.
peacecrusader888

Mon 26 Jun, 2017 07:59 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Quote:
So you just pick and choose which parts to acknowledge.

I did not pick and choose which parts to acknowledge. I had to "inquire, probe and investigate it thoroughly" (Deuteronomy 13:12). You do it the same way.
cicerone imposter

Mon 26 Jun, 2017 10:39 am
@peacecrusader888,
Quote:
I did not pick and choose which parts to acknowledge. I had to "inquire, probe and investigate it thoroughly" (Deuteronomy 13:12). You do it the same way.

Your probing is too selective in what you wish to believe. There are too many omissions, errors and contradictions in the bible to get a clear message. "Thou shalt not kill" is contradicted in other verses, and this is supposed to be a "commandment."

https://ffrf.org/legacy/books/lfif/?t=contra

Don't feel offended. All my siblings are christians married to christians. I left the church as a young teen when I saw too many contradictions in their teachings (in the bible). I married a Buddhist. Our mother never smiled once during our wedding. We were married at the San Francisco Buddhist Temple.
camlok

Mon 26 Jun, 2017 08:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I married a Buddhist. Our mother never smiled once during our wedding.

You aren't supposed to marry your sister, CI.
0 Replies

Pumnellmoo

Thu 29 Jun, 2017 03:03 am
If there is no suffering in this world, if we were always in our comfort zone, then we will not know strength, our capabilities to overcome great challenges in life, no lesson to be learned. We cannot question His great wisdom. To anyone who says God doesn't exist, the world will end and until then, your question will be answered.

Instead of questioning about the universe, instead of creating mad idea, why don't we people love regardless of race, colours and religion? It will be worth it even if the world ends.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Thu 29 Jun, 2017 03:23 am
@SawyerMentink,
Suffering is self suffient.Suffering allows suffering!
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Thu 29 Jun, 2017 03:47 am
@SawyerMentink,
Suffering is self sufficient. Suffering allows suffering!
0 Replies

Krumple

Thu 29 Jun, 2017 05:07 pm
@peacecrusader888,
peacecrusader888 wrote:
How do we know from many religious beliefs which is true God? If there is one and "only true God" (John 17:3), then there must be numerous false gods.

The ancient jews were polytheistic. They didn't have a single god at all. The history points this out and so does the bible. But edits to the bible have attempted to overwrite these facts.

It isn't until 600 bce that yahweh was elevated to be the monotheistic god. Before that the Jews worshiped many gods because there were several different tribes each with their own godhead.

There were three gods in particular that were of importance here because they do make it into the bible as I will demonstrate later.

El Elyon was called the "god most high" similar to the father of gods in greek and roman polytheistic structure.

Asherah who as El Elyon's wife.

Baal the god of storms and fertility.

The isrealites didn't develop Yahweh until five hundred years after the tribes were involved in lots of battles over land and power. Around 900 bce.

Yahweh (Sabaoth) was their war god, his name actually means, God of the armies. He was the Hebrew war god. And they decided to make attempts to rewrite their history to elevate Yahweh to the top by demanding that the other tribes accept Yahweh as their main god or expect to be punished for not.

In the Torah it clearly states that Abraham worshiped El Shaddai (god of the mountains) which is also another name for El Elyon.

There is an account in both the Torah and in the bible, genesis 18 where Abraham is visited by El Elyon in human form. And they have a discussion in person.

Then later Abraham's decedent Jacob in genesis 28 where he climbs a ladder to heaven and wrestles with El Elyon. Jacob makes El Elyon his "elohim" which means Jacob was making El Elyon his "primary god".

The ONLY way this passage makes sense is if Jacob believed that El Elyon was just one of many gods. So Jacob was committing to this one god.

It is clear that both Abraham and Jacob were polytheistic. Much more clearly pointed out in the Torah. And covered up in the bible.

But there are moments that stick out in the bible where they missed an opportunity to cover it up completely.

When Yahweh helps rescue the Jews from Egypt they are singling praises to Yahweh by saying, "Who is like you among gods, Yahweh" exodus 15:11

and

"Now I know that Yahweh is greater than all the other gods." exodus 18:11

Exodus 15:3 even states that Yahweh is Israel's "war god".

After the Jews were rescued from Egypt and things were returning to peace. Wars were fading. The Jews began to worship the more peaceful gods, Asherah and Baal.

The Yawhists as they are referred to were devoted to Yahweh and through harsh treatment. King Josiah was a strict Yawhist who brutally forced the other tribes of Israel to convert or be killed.

Biblical Scholars even suggest that it was King Josiah who requested the book of Deuteronomy to be written which is nothing more than an attempt to elevate Yahwah to the top of the polytheistic frame to eventually change polytheistic Jews into monotheistic followers of Yahweh solely.

It is clear if you study the history, there was never an original monotheistic god. It was created. Man gave birth to a monotheistic god and they just happened to pick Yahweh to be that god. They used violence to make it happen. A trait that still remains within christian history, with the crusades.

It is clear that violence is the reason we have christianity, islam and judiasm as main religions today. They would murder those who wouldn't convert. Using fear to get them to become devoted.
Leadfoot

Fri 30 Jun, 2017 08:07 am
@Krumple,
It has never been in question that the bible discusses false gods and that the Jews were prone to follow them and insist on a name (God made it clear that he had none). The Jews made a golden calf (for Baal) even while Moses went up to the mountains to pray. He was pretty pissed off when he got back with the tablets of stone. I seem to recall that first on the list was:

Thou shall have no other gods before you.

So I'm not sure where you get the story of a 'cover up' about these other gods.
newmoonnewmoon

Fri 30 Jun, 2017 08:12 am
@Leadfoot,
God created human of which chose to not listen. All we have to do is obey God, the word of God, the law of God and understand.
We choose to suffer. Whether by intent or not. Were a bunch of children misbehaving.
0 Replies

kk4mds

Fri 30 Jun, 2017 12:42 pm
The question shouldn't be how can a good G-d allow suffering, but how can good people allow suffering.
newmoonnewmoon

Fri 30 Jun, 2017 04:59 pm
@kk4mds,
It is not the fact of, good people allowing suffering. It is the fact of, the **** (or the things) we each go through or deal with in this life whether mentally or physically.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 30 Jun, 2017 05:20 pm
We evolved and are subject to the pitfalls of our environment and heritage. There always will be forms of suffering. If there was a god it could be radically different, either way. But we will never know which would have prevailed.
camlok

Fri 30 Jun, 2017 05:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
We evolved and are subject to the pitfalls of our environment and heritage.

That's not what the US bullshit tells you/has told you your whole life, Edgar.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 30 Jun, 2017 10:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

We evolved and are subject to the pitfalls of our environment and heritage. There always will be forms of suffering. If there was a god it could be radically different, either way. But we will never know which would have prevailed.

We are not much removed from our cousin apes and that explains why civilization is a thin veneer. We are still in the learning stages and we may not survive to stabilize our species enough to make it on the long haul.
0 Replies

ashakantasharma

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 12:48 am
@SawyerMentink,
The Law of Karma states that you will be rewarded with GOOD for all your good karmas and BAD for all your bad karmas. It is a rule of universe and life. God teaches perfect lesson to all of us based on all our past deeds. There is nothing like suffering in life, its all about learning and learning. Suffering teaches us. It makes us strong and makes our future strong.

As you sow so you will reap. Simply Rule for Life. God is a teacher in our life. He punishes for our mistakes and rewards to good in our life.

So, a good God allows suffering for the greater good of ourselves and there is nothing wrong....

So when ever you meet anyone needy please help them with the core of your heart. You will receive much much more in return from the Universe.

THE LAW OF ATTRACTION : Whatever we think we become.

God has set the rules in this Universe and is applicable for everyone.
0 Replies