What are your top three sci-fis?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 04:46 pm
@rosborne979,
No (although I do think they are), I'm just pointing out that for every "top" sci-fi movie or TV show any of us can come up with, there was a book describing the particulars from years or decades previous.

"Matrix" for example. Any number of sci-fi writers covered this territory before these films were made: Gibson and Stephanson just to name two.

"Alien," while great, wasn't even unique to film. "It, The Terror From Beyond Space," as cheesy as it may appear today was "Alien" 50 years ago.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 04:49 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

For truly elegant sci-fi I would also mention Ex-Machina. This is a very intellectually interesting sci-fi as opposed to the emotional component of the first three I mentioned.

But I don't think Ex-Machina will leave as much of a mark on the sci-fi movie genre as the first three films I mentioned. Very few others have.

I was going to add "Ex-Machina" to my list but it came in 4th.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 04:51 pm
@Amoh5,
Amoh5 wrote:

Sounds something like "Oblivion" where the climax happens somewhere at the end

"Oblivion" was, I believe, roundly panned, but I think that was due, to a great extent, with the critic's (idiotic) displeasure with Tom Cruise. I found it to be a very good movie.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 04:53 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Forbidden Planet (I can't believe no one chose this one yet)
Bladerunner
Men In Black

And Ex-Machina if I was allowed a 4th.
'Her' was good too.

Yes, I forgot "Forbidden Planet." It certainly deserves to be somewhere in the list of "Top" sci-fi movies. It was brilliant.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 04:56 pm
@Olivier5,
And here's further evidence of why these "top" lists are somewhat foolish unless you expand them to something like 100.

"Fantastic Planet" may have been the best movie ever made by the French, and "Metropolis" was a masterpiece.
Lash

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 05:22 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Makes mental note to see Ex Machina. (Domnhall Gleeson is in that, yes?)
0 Replies

Amoh5

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 06:50 pm
@Olivier5,
Your Quote:
Man, you haven't seen much.... Interstellar was on all movie screens last summer. "Moon" is not an action movie indeed. It's more contemplative and psychological. Very little dialogue though.
You're right I don't get to go to the movie theatres these days, got too many bills. I just wait till it comes out on DVD or something. It costs just about $20.00 a pop down here in NZ. I'd rather spend it on a take-away meal or something. I'm not a high income earner.
Yes I've got to see Interstellar and Moon, they sound interesting. I suppose you're thinking I wouldn't qualify for a public movie reviewer LOL hahaha!
Real Music

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 07:38 pm
Does anyone remember?

1. Buck Rogers In The 25th Century
2. Space 1999
3. Loguns Run
4. The Man from Atlantis
5. Dark Angel
6. Sliders
7. Ultraman
8. Spectreman
9. Space Above and Beyond
10. First Wave
11. The Six Million Dollar Man
12. Werehouse 13
13. Lost In Space
14. Andromeda
15. Eureka
16. Quantum Leap
17. Alien Nation
18. V
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 07:42 pm
@Real Music,
Quote:
3. Loguns Run
Oh yeah, that belongs on the list.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 07:57 pm
@Real Music,
Land of The Giants was a fun Sci-fi show for kids
0 Replies

Amoh5

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 08:25 pm
@Leadfoot,
Hey Leadfoot, I woke up at 11am etc. And am at my voluntary community job, so I can try and keep up with my thread seeing its only voluntary. But not at my paid job that I have to go to tonight. I don't know how people find the time to keep up with their threads. Maybe they have a lot of money and don't need to work so they spend their time on A2k. Well its 1:46pm now down here in NZ Auckland and the weather is fine. I know you guys a 19hrs or something behind us. I better do this post then get back to work.
Forbidden Planet:
I've never seen this movie, yes surprise surprise and its from the 50s, an American classic, yes I'm way behind the times in American sci-fis, damn, maybe its on Youtube? but the review on wiki sounds really interesting. The review said it was the greatest sci-fi movie made for its time and a blue-print for future sci-fi movie ideas. Maybe thats where Gene Roddenberry got a lot of his ideas from, gotta watch this classic.
Blade Runner:
I think I saw some parts of it when I was younger, with actor Harrison Ford on our public tv broadcast. I think I may have gotten bored with it or something, it must have been during the talky parts, I'm an action-movie-freak I get bored easily if they talk too long. The wiki-review says its about police hunting down GE replicants entering planet earth from a far away out of space work colony or something like. But I must watch it properly when I get the chance.
Men in Black:
Not serious and adult enough for me. The soundtrack by Will Smith is good though
Ex-machina:
This seems like an awesome one. I saw the trailer, its got some good backdrops and special effects. Looks like a quality sci-fi. I've yet got to see this one.
Her:
I haven't seen this movie either, sounds technologically interesting from the wiki-review, AI and all that stuff. But maybe I'll get bored from too much talking and emotional stuff. Yes, I know I'm an action-freak. You probably think I'm not much of a public sci-fi movie reviewer either hahaha! Well, gotta get back to work now, man time flies when you're on the internet(on my cell phone of course), gotta run ...
oralloy

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 08:40 pm
@Amoh5,
Amoh5 wrote:
Blade Runner:
I think I saw some parts of it when I was younger, with actor Harrison Ford on our public tv broadcast. I think I may have gotten bored with it or something, it must have been during the talky parts, I'm an action-movie-freak I get bored easily if they talk too long. The wiki-review says its about police hunting down GE replicants entering planet earth from a far away out of space work colony or something like. But I must watch it properly when I get the chance.

Note that there are a number of official versions (and countless fan-edits) of the movie.

So you might want to learn what is what and pick your version carefully before you watch it.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 09:00 pm
@Amoh5,
Quote:
I'll get bored from too much talking and emotional stuff. Yes, I know I'm an action-freak.
Guess we're looking for different things in sci fi. The value of that medium to me is the ability to put human characters into unique situations and see how they handle it.

I like action too, but there's got to be a good story behind it. V For Vendetta is an excellent example of that although not sci fi.
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 10:04 pm
@Amoh5,
I like a lot of those mentioned in other replies, so I won't repeat them. here are some good ones:
Asimov's "Foundation"
"Back to the Future" Parts 1 and 3 (I didn't care for 2)
"I, Robot"
oralloy

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 11:19 pm
@TomTomBinks,
TomTomBinks wrote:
"I, Robot"

Instead of "I, Robot" I would recommend "The Complete Robot" for Asimov's robot short stories, and then follow up with the robot novels "The Caves of Steel" and "The Naked Sun".

Every story in "I, Robot" is included in "The Complete Robot". The only thing that isn't included is the bit of connecting text between each story. On the other hand, "The Complete Robot" contains many vital stories that are not found in "I, Robot".

EDIT: There is actually a compilation of all three of those books that I just recommended. And I could probably find the ISBN because I have a copy of it on a shelf somewhere.

EDIT:
ISBN 10: 0385191529
ISBN 13: 9780385191524

Both numbers seem to work on Amazon (US).

13 seem to work on Alibris (US). 10 seems to make Alibris (US) hiccup.

Didn't try any other nationality of Amazon. Not sure if Alibris even has other nationalities.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 01:49 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
"The Caves of Steel" and "The Naked Sun".

Excellent choice.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 02:01 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

And here's further evidence of why these "top" lists are somewhat foolish unless you expand them to something like 100.

"Fantastic Planet" may have been the best movie ever made by the French

You mean... it may belong to the 100 best French movies ever? :-)

Rhetoric aside, the story is just great: what if humans were the pets of a mightier species? I also enjoyed the graphics very much. They are by Topor, an underground artist with a pretty dark sense of humor. This one below is one of the softest drawing I could find by him.

http://www.du9.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/couvre-chef-460x600.jpg
"Couvre chef"
oralloy

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 02:07 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Excellent choice.

I don't know if you remember that time when Yahoo had a serious glitch for a couple days and everyone's posts were made with their full personal name instead of with their Yahoo alias, but as soon as it started I set up a new Yahoo account giving "R. Daneel Olivaw" as my full name.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 02:12 am
@Amoh5,
In fact there IS some action in Moon, once the anti-hero understands who he is ans what's his fate. It just starts easy.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 03:01 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

What are your thoughts regarding originals Sci-Fi movies and television series being rebooted and re-imagine into new movies and new television series?

Examples includes:

Knight Rider(1982-1986) vs Knight Rider (2008-2009)

This was the best Knight Rider.