ARW

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2016 05:44 am
There is no current going to my dishwasher outlet. The romex wires are exposed and I tested them with a multimeter. It read 0 volts. I also tested the circuit breaker connected to the outlet. It registered 120volts. Supposedly this circuit breaker only services the dishwasher. The house was built in 1964.

Background: The romex wires were connected directly to my old dishwasher. I wanted to put a new gfci outlet in to plug the new dishwasher into. I did and it worked. But the outlet was directly behind the dishwasher and it made the dishwasher stick out a little. So I pulled out about 2 feet of romex wire from the hole in the wall. It came out easily . There is about 4 feet coiled up in the wall. Then I put the outlet under the sink and attached the romex. Now there is no power.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 967 • Replies: 2
No top replies

engineer

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2016 06:21 am
@ARW,
Make sure the GFI is reset after the install. If that doesn't work, pull the GFI and check your installation.
0 Replies

Timmypags

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 12:40 am
@ARW,
Make sure your wires are folded nice and neat in the receptacle box with the gfci in it. 2' of wire, (plus the size of the gfci )is a lot of wire if your talking about a standard size outlet box. You only want to have 6 to 8 inches max coming into the box. Your ground ( bare copper wire in romex) could be making contact with the hot terminal on the receptacle, sending your voltage straight to ground instead of through the receptacle to your dish washer. Hopefully in pulling that much romex from the wall didn't pull it from another junction box or right out of the panel. In which case you would have to run a whole new wire. Other than that, like the previous gentleman said. Hit test then try to reset, if that doesn't work check your install. Make sure you are wiring to the "LINE" side of the GFCI with your power in. Honestly if the gfci was working before and then stopped all of a sudden. Make find out if it's the gfci tripping or the breaker itself. If it's the breaker ,make sure you have the right size wire and breaker for the amp draw on your dish washer. And if it is the gfci. I'd be willing to bet it's a loose connection on your terminal. Or your voltage is all going to ground from do much wire in your outlet box. Hope this helps.
0 Replies