Help..I bought the wrong size!

phearns

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 12:02 pm
Hi..this is my first time here. I bought a suit at a clothing outlet store...the jacket fits fine...but the only pants they had were too small....I bought them anyway figuring I can do something creative with them. They are made of polyester and rayon and have an elastic waist and loose fitting legs. Is there any way I can make the area across my stomach and hips larger? ( I already removed the elastic ..no help) Thanks....F. Nash
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 685 • Replies: 4
No top replies

panzade

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 12:22 pm
Here...let me get this radial arm saw outta the way...OK...Here's my tip of the day: I'd use the Bosch 2000 series jig saw to shorten the waist and the Dewalt biscuit joiner to reassemble it. Don't forget a dab of Liquid Nail to keep things from getting loose. :wink:
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 01:29 pm
Well, the only way to make an article of clothing bigger is to find more fabric. That means either grabbing some fabric from a matching lining (if any) or the hem (if it's long enough) and sewing it in. Or, if you can purchase matching fabric, do that. Either way, I'd advise working with a tailor or dry cleaner that does hemming as the added fabric would have to be evenly distributed otherwise the pants won't look right.

If the pants have a fly with a zipper and button, you can move the button and possibly use a part of the zipper placket (that's the fabric part covering the zipper) to add to the stomach portion. It sounds like they don't, but just in case.

It does sound, though, like these pants were inexpensive and not worth the money to bring them to a tailor. So, in the future, here are 4 suggestions:
1) Next time, buy a bigger suit all around and get the jacket taken in. It's a lot easier to take in an article of clothing than to try to let it out.
2) Switch the jacket and pants at the store. At most outlets, you can get away with this, or find someone in a similar predicament and offer to switch.
3) Write off the pants as a loss and give them to Goodwill.
4) Don't buy the suit at all, as it's not much of a bargain if you have to go through so many hoops in order to get the whole thing to work.

Personally, I'd do #3, and #1 or #2 if I was still at the store, but, if a larger size or a trader weren't available, I'd go with choice #4.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 02:02 pm
BBB
I'm different sizes on top and bottom. I never buy a 2-piece suit. I buy separate jackets and pants.

QVC.com, for example, sells many of their suits and other women's clothing as separates so you can buy the size that will fit you on top and bottom. Anything that doesn't fit can be returned within 30 days without question for a refund. I buy almost all of my clothing there.

BTW, welcome to Able2Kno2; glad to have you here.

BBB
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 05:55 pm
I was thinking that one of those pregnancy panels might work - they're these elastic panels that you can sew into clothes so that they give you some belly room. You will, however, have to wear your shirt untucked.
0 Replies