Scream taken at gunpoint

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 08:42 am
Scream' stolen from museum at gunpoint
Associated Press

Reuters
Edvard Munch's 'The Scream' was one of two of his paintings stolen from an Oslo museum at gunpoint.
OSLO, Norway -- Armed men stormed into an art museum today, threatened staff at gunpoint and stole Edvard Munch's famous paintings "The Scream" and "Madonna" before the eyes of stunned museum-goers.

The thieves yanked the paintings off the walls of Oslo's Munch museum and loaded them into a waiting car outside, said a witness, French radio producer Francois Castang.

Police spokeswoman Hilde Walsoe said the two or three armed men threatened a museum employee with a handgun to give them the two paintings, including "The Scream" -- Munch's famed depiction of an anguished figure with its head in its hands.

"No one has been physically injured, and the suspects escaped in an Audi A6. We are searching for the suspects with all available means," Walsoe told The Associated Press.

Many museum visitors panicked and thought they were being attacked by terrorists.

"He was wearing a black face mask and something that looked like a gun to force a female security guard down on the floor," visitor Marketa Cajova told NTB public radio.

"What's strange is that in this museum, there weren't any means of protection for the paintings, no alarm bell," Castang told France Inter radio.

"The paintings were simply attached by wire to the walls," he said. "All you had to do is pull on the painting hard for the cord to break loose -- which is what I saw one of the thieves doing."

Castang said police arrived on the scene 15 minutes later. Visitors were ushered into the museum's cafeteria.

"We don't have all the details on the situation, but we are searching for the suspects in the air and on land," Police Spokesman Kjell Moerk told the public radio network NRK.

It was the second time in 10 years that "The Scream" has been stolen. In February 1994, the work was taken and remained missing for nearly three months. Police ultimately recovered the work, which is on fragile paper, undamaged in a hotel in Asgardstrand, about 40 miles south of the capital, Oslo. Three Norwegians were arrested.

At the time, investigators said the trio tried to ransom the painting, demanding $1 million from the government. it was never paid.

Munch, a Norwegian painter and graphic artist who worked in Germany as well as his home country, developed an emotionally charged style that was of great importance in the birth of the 20th century Expressionist movement.

He painted "The Scream" in 1893, as part of his "Frieze of Life" series, in which sickness, death, anxiety, and love are central themes. He died in 1944 at the age of 81.

The National Art Museum owns 58 paintings by Munch.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,356 • Replies: 17
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 08:44 am
http://images.chron.com/content/news/photos/04/08/22/scream.jpg
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 08:04 am
Thieves are getting bolder and bolder.

That is one creepy picture.

Thumbs down.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 08:06 am
That must have been a noisy robbery!!!! Get it? Aye?!? Scream?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

JOAM!!!!!!!!

LOL!!!!!!

Smile Smile Smile Smile

My friends love it when I say things like that around them. We always share a hearty laugh and a few elbows to the ribs.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 01:26 pm
Was it in that museum's permanent collection, or on loan?

I'm astounded they wouldn't have a better (or any) security system.

"Lady with an Ermine" traveled to Texas and was encased in glass with armed gaurds watching it.

Maybe Oslo is a very nice city?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 01:31 pm
Not only was there no security system, but I heard on the news (NPR) that the museum had no theft insurance on the paintings either.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 04:41 pm
Their guard was unarmed.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 05:16 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Their guard was unarmed.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Funniest thing I've heard all week.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 08:16 am
You mean my scream joke wasn't funnier? I enjoyed a good chuckle over that one.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 08:21 am
Stupid thieves Neutral! Will they be arrested when they offer to sell it to some magnate, or will the magnate buy it? Probably the latter.

0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 04:11 pm
These seem to have been gross amateurs. To take them by gun point and then to run off with them, to be seen and identified by on-lookers, so incredibly stupic that it's no wonder they got away (temporarily).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 04:32 pm
Another clue as to their amateur status - The may have damaged the pics taking them out of the frames.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 04:38 pm
It makes one shiver. I consider art objects to be what religionists say of their fetishes, sacred.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 04:40 pm
Crime against art is crime against the human soul (whatever an atheist can call it)
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 04:42 pm
Exactly!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 08:33 pm
Cleaner Tosses Art Out with the Garbage

Sun Aug 29,11:06 AM ET Add Oddly Enough - Reuters to My Yahoo!

LONDON (Reuters) - A cleaner at London's Tate Britain modern art gallery threw out a bag of garbage that was part of an artwork because it was thought to be trash, British newspapers reported Friday.

The transparent bag of garbage -- full of newspaper, cardboard and other bits of paper -- formed part of a work by German-born artist Gustav Metzger called "Recreation Of First Public Demonstration Of Auto-Destructive Art."

It was on display next to a sheet of nylon that had been spattered with acid, and a metal sculpture on a table when a cleaner tossed it out with the other trash.

A Tate spokesman said the mistake was made the day before the exhibition opened at the end of June, and although the bag was later rescued, it had been damaged and Metzger had to replace it with another one.

The newspapers said the spokesman would not reveal how much the bag had cost to replace.

"It's now covered over at night so it can't be removed," the spokesman told the Times.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 09:53 pm
Beautiful. Maybe there IS a God.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 09:09 am
I say uncover it and let the chips fall where they may.
0 Replies