Art With a Capital F

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 09:53 pm
Nobody who loves "The Scream" (or would even know what it was) would hang a Kinkade on their wall. Maybe their closet ceiling, except they are so grossly overpriced they'd also have to be prime examples of the comsumer fool. His work, granted, is for decorating houses -- very badly decorated houses.

Seems to me that Mr. Charles won't be able to blame his students. Seems to me he's a terrible teacher.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 08:17 am
Portal's 'something nice above the couch' is very true - look at the cheap n' cheerful prints that walk out of Ikea and those awful 'abstracts' that home improvement programmes come up with.

Osso I agree about degrees/study - they are about learning . developing and experimenting, not about a job or sales.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 10:04 am
If one is creating art for their own gratification and are not concerned with selling it in any way, there's nothing wrong with that either. I just have found from experience that artists I have interviewed and assisted in getting a market for their work have little motivation to create work just for themselves. They have to decide whether the want to create work for a commercial market or want to try and get into small museums and small galleries who specialize in academic or other forms of serious art. They decide whether they want to paint for the joy of painting in either case. However, they do have to remember if they get caught up in the very commercial decorative market that they will be exploited based on their salability. There's no getting around it -- be successful and become a mall artist or try and sell your friends and neighbors.

Many of the major artists had very little academic training. There's always the danger of becoming too academic. Reference the abstract painters of the early 70's after it was widely considered that modern art was dead. They were by-and-large by highly educated university artists. The false genre lasted for about two years and then died a gratefuly death. Jasper Johns did produce some canvases in this genre with his crosshatch paintings. The difference between his work and the university painters is that he has inate talent and the did not.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 10:08 am
There is a third market, of course -- commercial art or having one's work published in magazines as illustration, ads, used in movies and other commercial venues. Now one of the most competitive market for a higher education trained artists and even moreso if they haven't learned to create on a computer.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 02:48 pm
I don't know why, but I failed to received updates on this thread. I've just finished catching up, and I very enjoyed the excellent and helpful insights.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 03:16 pm
You may have accidentally passed by the "Turn off updates" on the upper right while your finger was resting on the left click. I've done that on my laptop although that switch is even more sensitive. I happen to like the built in mouse as it doesn't involved working your entire arm but just a finger exercise.

I'm, of course, reiterating things I have written before. Artists are notorious for having little or no understanding of the business end of art. Art and business are not good bedfellows but that doesn't mean an artist can completely ignore the business part because it repels them. That can be dangerous. Art agents are out there but there's one thing I've said about agents -- sociopaths can do two things that are bad, become a serial killer or an agent.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 03:25 pm
Or a politician.

If a politician found some of his constituents were cannibals, he'd promise them missionaries for lunch.
-H.L.Mencken
0 Replies

wordworker

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 04:21 pm
Hi J.L and all Art Lovers...

Checking in and saying "hi!"

wordworker
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 04:38 pm
Politicians and attorneys are somewhere in line behind agents.

Politics and art also make strange bedfellows -- the so-called fine art of the communist years in Russia were mostly commercials for the communist ideals. Of course, it could easily look superior to amateurishly painted quaint little cottages with light bulbs inside.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 05:01 pm
word worker, Welcome to A2K. Interested in seeing your input.

I was considering the value of propaganda as an art form--the most powerful of paintings.

I thought through this long ago on Abuzz, and still am awed by those who are still in the forefront.

Starving artists? Perhaps.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 05:06 pm
John Singer Sargent's very anti-war and labor oriented murals which have been discussed before.

Riviera's murals -- very political.

The grandaddy of them all -- church politics in Da Vinci's "The Last Supper." The figure on the left is not a man...sorry.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 05:18 pm
Mr. Wizard, I have never studied the Last Supper, although I have seen it many times on velvet enhanced with gold. Odd, gender never occurred to me.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 05:28 pm
Wizard, I am a fan of Da Vinci but have never heard of church politics being incorperated in the last supper! Of course, that comes as little suprise after hearing the background of Michelangelo's Judgement.

Could you reference me to an enlightening article/give me a summary? Sounds interesting.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 05:45 pm
Great Wordworker. Now that Abuzz is defunct, I'm glad to see you've come here. Let's hope that 400 comes too. Firenze is a member of A2K; hope she becomes more active.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 06:38 pm
Mr. Wizard. One word before I batten down, or try to. There is another type of art, and that is found in a tiny capsule of a bit of help in a few words. Thank you for that.

Now, all you artists, feel free to get excited. It seems as though I know you all, not only through your paintings, but through your words.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 07:16 pm
I was just browsing to find some info on one of my favourtie artists, Egon Schiele, and whose face pops up on the banner? Sozobe! At least on my computer. http://www.artchive.com/artchive/S/schiele.html It's an Amazon thing, but it was nice to see a friendly face. The banners flip-flop...oops, this isn't the Politics forum.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 07:51 pm
The woman in Di Vinci's "The Last Supper" is part of the basis for Dan Brown's novel "The Da Vinci Code." There's been a lot written about it and a doumentary on PBS.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 07:52 pm
It's Mary Magadalene unless John was prone to dress in drag.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 07:54 pm
Good luck, Letty. I do hope that Francis misses you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 09:07 pm
We have an artist who shows with us who has done a last supper, no, not mentioning names, sigh. She is interesting, first of all a good painter. According to whom, eh, me.

Her mother is/was a Jewish woman from New Jersey who met a Mexican man on vacation. So our painter has grown with a variety of refs, and has elements of cubism, early american flatness, and very much mexican muralist evocation in her work, which is thwacked about to be all her own. (Hmm, I was mentioning before about a coherent development over time, where'ere you start.) Her work is not like anyone else's, at least that I have seen.

Anyway, this last supper painting, long ago sold, featured a large number of latina girls with haloes, and was philosophically imbued that only one would NOT betray.
The painter is a feminist who does like men, and has a particular interest in the strength of children.

Of course, her backsource here is da Vinci.

I keep insisting that dwelling on old matters is not a dead alley, whether this woman's work might interest you or not.
Her exploration is the kind of thing I am talking about, that the height of art might not always be to have your eye on exactly where the edge is in order to break it. Competition for the new is a longtime backbone of art, and I'm not against it, I just don't like seeing whole interests clumped as "boring, now" every year or so.
0 Replies