Maintenance changed circuit box

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 03:54 pm
I want to know if its possible for wiring to piggyback onto other people's bills. I live in a top floor apartment and my bill is the highest in the complex according to home energy reports I get from my electric company. I try to conserve energy by turning off lights and unplugging appliances, but till recently the bill was still high. I began to turn off the switches in my circuit box and my bill came down. Is it possible to be charged for electricity used in other apartments. Sometimes in the apartment below mine, a loud buzzing or humming noise is going and when I turned off one of the switches, the noise stopped.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 534 • Replies: 2
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 03:58 pm
@MamaNeeds2know,
Sure, it's possible. My storage shed is on a circuit belonging to the house in front of me. They know about it, and I don't use much electricity, but it definitely shows the possibility.

Why not just turn off everything that doesn't affect your apartment. They'll go nuts trying to find the problem.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 04:28 pm
@MamaNeeds2know,
I think you could get an electrician to check this out fairly cheaply. Management ought to do it for you, really. In general, electric lines don't get sent to other apartments like that. Probably the biggest savings from turning off the switches is your hot water.
0 Replies