Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 09:45 am
I have a whole bunch of jalapeno, and hot wax peppers, and I don't know what to do with them. They're starting to go bad some of them. Any suggestions on what to do with them? I thought about slicing them and maybe canning them to use in future food, or making salsa, but I don't know how to do either of those things. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,707 • Replies: 9
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 10:41 am
Ah, rather than either, how 'bout making hot sauce?

If you don't want it super-duper hot, cut open the peppers and remove the seeds and ribs. That's where most of the heat is. Since they're starting to turn, you will probably need to cut into them anyway.

Once you've done this, toss 'em into a steamer basket (you know, the kind you use for veggies) and stick that straight on top of one of your burners. This is if you have a gas stove. If not, put 'em under the broiler. Turn about every 15 mins, 'til they're charred on all sides. Remove from heat (use tongs or an oven mitt as all of this will be hot).

Place inside a ziploc bag and seal. Let them steam themselves this way for maybe 15 mins. Remove and peel, discarding the skins. Now toss onions into a pot with a little oil 'til translucent. While this is happening, coarse chop the peppers. Once that's accomplished, throw your now-chopped roasted peppers in and add vinegar and salt to taste. Heat together until everything is soft and mushy (sorry, you just kind of judge so I don't have a specific time frame).

Remove from heat and much together in a blender or food processor. Toss into sterilized Mason jars. It should keep for about 6 months.

If you don't want to roast the peppers, you can skip that step, but roasting adds flavor and removes some of the heat. If you don't roast 'em, cook 'em longer in the vinegar so that they get good and soft so that they blend well.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 10:51 am
Hmmm, and Mmmm!!! Sounds good, really good! I'm gonna print your instructions out if you don't mind. ( I assume you don't mind or else you wouldn't have posted it...lol) Thanks for taking the time to type all that in. I'm not a very good anything in the kitchen...lol...bf usually does the cooking! But I have time today, and he loves hot sauce, so i think i'm gonna try it! I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks again!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 10:53 am
you could roast them over a gas flame (if you have a gas stove) or over a BBQ. Then you'd deskin them and freeze or pickle them.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 10:55 am
Think they's taste good pickled?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 11:01 am
sure, why not? Pepperoncinis come pickled. You could can them too. I'd probably just freeze them.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 11:06 am
I don't know anything about pickeling, I've seen my mom do it, doesn't look to hard, but.....
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 11:09 am
Hey, no sweat, hot sauce was made on Emeril yesterday, and roasted peppers on Good Eats, so I combined 'em. Helfino how they're gonna turn out but hey, they can't be bad (plus, hot sauces - just check the label - are pretty much only made of peppers, salt and vinegar. I figure the onions will add a different kinda pizzazz).

Make sure you use only sterilized glass jars. :-D
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 12:45 pm
Freeze them.

Wash them.

Slice them.

Pack in plastic bags and freeze.

Most vegetables need to be blanched before freezing, but peppers manage to discourage microorganisms all by themselves.

Freezing destroys the crispness, but if you put hot peppers in salad, you'd be slicing them small anyhow.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 12:21 pm
When canning you need to use very fresh veggies, so I wouldn't go that route. You could make a big batch of chili and when it's done and has cooled down, you could put it in several containers and freeze. Peppers freeze well, but like canning, they should be fresh.

You reminded me that I have a bunch in the freezer and I need to make some chili myself :-D
0 Replies