700 Inconsistencies in the Bible

cicerone imposter

Tue 6 Sep, 2016 03:33 pm
@Leadfoot,
I already said I'm not familiar with the bible. Not about to read it just for this forum, when there are information readily available on the net.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 6 Sep, 2016 03:38 pm
@Leadfoot,
The story in the bible are full of errors, omissions and contradictions. How do you reconcile all of them?
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Wed 7 Sep, 2016 02:01 am
@High Strangeness,
High Strangeness wrote:

Is the Jews celebrating Easter yet another consp-theory?
As for the word 'heathens', there are plenty of examples here of how wimpy modern translations change it to 'nations'-
http://biblehub.com/2_kings/17-11.htm

The reason I asked, the Hebrew word used in this scripture, IEB H1471 , actually means a mass of people, a foreign nation or a gentile, so in the interests of accuracy, these modern translations kept the word true to its original meaning, regardless of any negative connotation embraced in the king James.

0 Replies

Smileyrius

Wed 7 Sep, 2016 03:37 am
@High Strangeness,
High Strangeness wrote:

Is the Jews celebrating Easter yet another consp-theory?

If only Smile Acts 12:14 King James Version renders the greek word for Passover, which is “Pascha” as Easter, the celebration of the Babylonian Fertility Goddess Ishtar (or Ēastre in old english)
You can see why I raised my eyebrows when I read that one
0 Replies

onevoice

Thu 8 Sep, 2016 10:00 am
@cicerone imposter,
I would love nothing more than to make plans for a specific time! Unfortunately, I have unintentionally squandered several years, and a whole lot of money, leaving myself in a position that currently even a trip out of state is out of the question. Not even sure where my next meal is coming from some days, to be honest. Not complaining, by any means. At the very least I have learned that through our decisions we make our own bed, and sure as shooting... We will be lying in it at some point. I am lying in mine right now...

But be assured that I will not be staying here long! 😁 When we can get back on top of things The first trip will be Hawaii for the honeymoon we never got. Or maybe a Sandles Resort... Though I don't much care for pampering... And I'm definitely not very romantic either... lol Then I will be pulling out my bucket list and going about seeing the last 11 States in the U.S. I have not seen yet!

And finally... Switzerland... I hope my foolishness from the past will not prevent any future endeavors... However, the fact remains... We all make our choices, and ultimately have to live with the consequences of those choices. 😃

cicerone imposter

Thu 8 Sep, 2016 10:06 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Find out for yourself what the bible says rather than taking others word for it.
It really does not matter who wrote it, it's the story that matters.

I enjoy comic books too! It's the story that matters.
cicerone imposter

Thu 8 Sep, 2016 10:17 am
@onevoice,
There was a time in my life when I didn't have two nickels to rub together. When I bought my wife her engagement ring, I bought it on time plan. My wife had more money than I when we got engaged.
Since then, I have traveled to 85 countries in over 200 trips, have investments and some money in the bank. Our home which we bought for $52,000 is now worth about $1.8 million, because we bought in Silicon Valley when it was converting from farm land to business enterprises. Many of the world's high tech companies now have offices here. Apple Computer is building their Campus 2 not one mile from where we live at a cost of $5 billion. The prices of homes in our area have become so expensive, many in the high tech industry cannot even buy homes here even if their income is in the six figures, and many live a couple of hours away from their work place. Many adult children live with their parents.
I'm not sure how much longer this trend is going to go on, but many high tech companies are still building in our area because the people with skills live here. I read recently that people with the right skills can start at about $175,000/year. Unreal.
High Strangeness

Thu 8 Sep, 2016 10:39 am
Cicerone said- "I enjoy comic books too! It's the story that matters"
----------------------------------------------------------------------

And what a great story Jesus is, especially as it's true!
For example it tickles me the way he told the snooty jewish priests "You're full of filth, and you're the offspring of vipers",
Beats me why some people don't like him, maybe they're jews themselves..Wink
onevoice

Thu 8 Sep, 2016 10:48 am
The fact is that people can and will dispute the legitimacy of the Bible until the end of time. Nothing is new... Just as nothing has changed.... regarding that fact anyway. One thing I have noticed lately is that we... as in people in general have a hard time... a very hard time... Being weak, or vulnerable to anyone or anything. We want to feel in control of our life, our circumstances, our destiny... And ultimately we are.

I completely understand why people wouldn't want to relinquish control to something they can't see or touch. Some "invisible friend". Or just plain something they don't even believe could possibly exist. Why should they? As Christians what example of the power of the Word have we really shown them? Any book is just a book if that is how the reader chooses to interpret it. If that is how they see others interpret it, or in the case of the Bible those who read and claim it is true how those actually live it... or don't... Then why should they interpret it any different?

A demonstration of His power through the Word is what will change hearts. Not our lectures. Not all these nice, fluffy, foo foo "Jesus loves you anyway" comments with a nice pat on the back. Not accusing anyone of anything here. Just stating what I see consistently in our world today. Just as God gave a demonstration of His power through Jesus... I believe whole heartedly that He will do it again in these dark times.

It has never been our job to "convince" anyone of His existence. We don't have the ability to change people's hearts. That is something that is between an individual and God alone. But how we live and project our personal relationship with Him has the power to influence people in either direction... Towards Him... Or further away.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 8 Sep, 2016 10:49 am
@High Strangeness,
You say "it's true," but there are no other record of the miracles that Jesus performed for thousands.
What is interesting for me is my visit to the Holy Land. I walked that same "supposed" walk of Jesus with the cross in Jerusalem, and visited the site where Jesus was anointed and crucified which is now inside a church. Even visited Bethlehem where Jesus was supposedly born which is also now inside a church. The spot is marked, and many people bend down to kiss it.
I want to take my sister there, because she is religious, but my many health issues may prevent traveling so far.
0 Replies

onevoice

Thu 8 Sep, 2016 10:51 am
@cicerone imposter,
Have you ever went to hit the reply button and accidentally hit the thumbs down button instead? Lol Oops! That is quite awesome for you CI! Man! What an awesome investment your property was!
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Thu 8 Sep, 2016 10:51 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Leadfoot Quote:
"Find out for yourself what the bible says rather than taking others word for it.
It really does not matter who wrote it, it's the story that matters."

I enjoy comic books too! It's the story that matters.

Yeah, they were great, but I got older and wanted more compelling stories; hence my recommendation.
0 Replies

High Strangeness

Thu 8 Sep, 2016 10:56 am
Onevoice said- Just as God gave a demonstration of His power through Jesus... I believe whole heartedly that He will do it again in these dark times"
---------------------------------------------------------------

It's always been happening, that's why most Christians have always been cool, calm, goodnatured , unflappable and fearless because God's power has downloaded into them..Smile

"Our gospel came to you not simply with words, but also with POWER.." (1 Thess 1:5)
"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of POWER" (2 Tim 1:7)
"I am full of POWER, judgement and might by the spirit of the Lord" (Micah 3:8)
"Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty POWER" (Ephesians 6:10)
"After Jesus spent the night in prayer,everybody tried to touch him because POWER was coming from him"- (Luke 6:12-19)
Jesus said - "Someone touched me, I know that POWER has gone out from me." (Luke 8:46)

There's no trick to it, you've simply got to LIKE Jesus and you'll make the automatic power download connection like he said..Smile-
"On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you" (John 14:20)
onevoice

Thu 8 Sep, 2016 11:01 am
@High Strangeness,
I don't know what world you are living in there Strangeness... But the majority are not. The majority are still on the Prayer of Jabez kick. "Father bless ME indeed". A belief system that teaches selfish desire and promotes it as edifying. But believe me... it will be hard to miss His demonstration of power. Actually missing it will have to be pretty intentional.
High Strangeness

Fri 9 Sep, 2016 03:06 pm
@onevoice,
said- "I don't know what world you are living in there Strangeness... But the majority are not. The majority are still on the Prayer of Jabez kick"'
------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, I've never heard of Jabez, is he your cult leader, or was he a member of a 60's pop group?
cicerone imposter

Fri 9 Sep, 2016 03:08 pm
@High Strangeness,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jabez
High Strangeness

Fri 9 Sep, 2016 03:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks, that link tells us Jabez was a fairly ordinary dood and nothing to write home about, the Old T is chock full of them..Smile
0 Replies

onevoice

Fri 9 Sep, 2016 07:54 pm
@High Strangeness,
Huh. That's funny. If you read the Bible you would know who that is.
High Strangeness

Fri 9 Sep, 2016 08:03 pm
@onevoice,
said- "Huh. That's funny. If you read the Bible you would know who that is"
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Who saves, Jabez or Jesus?
You can get sidetracked learning all the obscure bits if you like, but include me out..Wink
Paul said - "I'm worried lest you be led astray from the simplicity of Christ" (2 Cor 11:3)
And people quickly realised-
"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith" (Heb 12:2)

onevoice

Fri 9 Sep, 2016 08:39 pm
@High Strangeness,
Very interesting perspective your highness. Wink
0 Replies