700 Inconsistencies in the Bible

AugustineBrother

Wed 13 Jul, 2016 01:35 pm
@onevoice,
The sure sign that someone DOESN"T believe there are inconsistencies is to say there are 700 --- because if you thought that you should be able to produce scores that SINGLY would destroy Bible credibility.

With 700 nobody answers you except those who agree with you.

You are afraid. Give me ONE and I will answer it
AugustineBrother

Wed 13 Jul, 2016 01:36 pm
@Leadfoot,
It is not good does not mean that God saw that for the first time. Rather He was noting that there was something further. Not good does not mean 'evil'. Else the difference between God saw that it was good and God saw that it was (at the end) very good would also be calling many things 'not good'.
Leadfoot

Wed 13 Jul, 2016 07:57 pm
@AugustineBrother,
It would really help if you would quote the thing you are responding to.
I think this (below quote) is the only time I ever used the phrase 'not good' and that was a quote from the bible.
Quote:

Leadfoot Quote:
Immediately after God saying that it was not good for man to be alone he did create woman so I assumed that was God's answer to that problem. What alternative do you see?

How do you get the implication that I meant 'not good' was 'evil'?
I merely thought God meant that Adam left alone on the planet with no one else of his own kind would go stark raving mad.

But I agree that God no doubt knew that far ahead of that moment.

After all, I believe God created us out of his own desire for company. I would guess that No one knows loneliness more intimately than God. How long did God exist before he had his only begotten Son? I am moved to compassion for God himself at the thought.
0 Replies

onevoice

Wed 13 Jul, 2016 08:50 pm
@AugustineBrother,
I am actually quite interested to see if there really are inconsistencies in the Bible. Unfortunately for the last two months my life has been a complete whirlwind... Which is still increasing in intensity almost daily... So exploring this has slipped quite far down priority list. Lol

It interests me so much because the more I dig the more consistency I actually find. The bible is like a puzzle. You need all the pieces put together to see the big picture. Very few are willing to put in the effort themselves to put more than a few together then they get discouraged and give up. The truth is never easy to find when you aren't willing to even consider it a possibility. Wink
AugustineBrother

Tue 19 Jul, 2016 06:16 am
@onevoice,
Beautiful reply. I will pray for your situation at Mass this morning.

I have repeatedly stated that I will debate that person but they fear me. Yes, the Bible is as you say. When you read it in Greek, Hebrew, Latin you get stunned at the knowledge of the text that the translators often had so that they could pick the right way of saying something in the new setting.

If you want something interesting get an English translation of the Aramaic targums, the explanations of Scripture used in Judaism when the common person did not know Hebrew but did know Aramaic.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Mon 8 Aug, 2016 01:42 pm
@onevoice,
I can probably answer them all. But notice that its poster has a great fear to actually come to a conclusion, a sure sign that he has no confidence in what he says he's discovered. Why assume that what you construe as inconsistent is so to others ?
onevoice

Sun 14 Aug, 2016 12:18 am
@AugustineBrother,
AugustineBrother please accept my apology for the extremely delayed response. I have two questions for you...

First of all who exactly is "the original poster" you are referring to?

Second of all if it is not me (which since I am not a "he" I am assuming it is not lol) then why don't you take it up with him?

While I agree with your points the reality of the situation here... well as I see it, which is sometimes not even close to accurate... Is that you say you can "probably" answer them all... which you have made no attempt to even take a stab at...

Why is that brother?

No offence intended here... But really? You can point out how he has no confidence in what he says as you see it... yet you don't say anything at all to back up what you say you believe.

However, you really did hit the nail on the head with this:

Quote:
Why assume that what you construe as inconsistent is so to others ?

I can tell you this...

One thing I have learned along the way here is this...

Assuming anything... And I mean ANYTHING... Does nothing more than make an ASS out of U and ME.

Doesn't really matter which side it comes from. The result is always the same.

CVeigh

Mon 15 Aug, 2016 08:40 pm
@onevoice,
Yes, well, that adds up to nothing. My point is saying that I could answer all his questions (probably) is to make him get serious and ask the couple of big questions. That you don't get, and he doesn't either.

CVeigh

Mon 15 Aug, 2016 08:41 pm
@onevoice,
Yes, well, that adds up to nothing. My point in saying that I could answer all his questions (probably) is to make him get serious and ask the couple of big questions. That you don't get, and he doesn't either.

Leadfoot

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 11:09 am
@CVeigh,
Have to agree with you there. Most of the inconsistencies/errors in these lists are so easily answered that I don't take them seriously. And I don't mean answered from the standpoint of belief or faith. Most can be answered with simple logic.

It's hard to reason with those who throw up these lists because at the heart of their position is the tightly held belief that 'there is no God'. If you are unable to even hypothesize that there is a God, conversation on the subject of God, bible, etc. is destined to go nowhere. Ultimately all their arguments boil down to -

"THERE IS NO GOD!"

There is none so blind as he who will not see.
farmerman

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 02:09 pm
@Leadfoot,
I dont think anyone criticizes the scientific inconsistencies in, say, Harry Potter books. It makes the story interesting that a huge passenger train can diffuse its metallic lattice and engage the energy side of its many properties, thuis allowing the train to show up on track 9/3/4 (or whatever track its on).

I see the Bible in the same light. Its a story of a peoples efforts to live in a world that appears to them to be without any order unless they can create something divine "in charge". The bogus science and hair raising tales are part of the"Big Picture" moral story with- in which the "main deity" operates.

SCience is iunable to deal with anything that cannot be tested, so we just ignore all the stories, nature tales, science fiction and politics, and just use the whole book to learn some lessons about living a "good life"

farmerman

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 02:23 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Ultimately all their arguments boil down to -

"THERE IS NO GOD!"

That is my belief, but, as I said, since we have no way to even test it, wtf?

This Christian god prefers anonymity and leaves no testable track, Ive always found that confusing, especially when it has made all these demands and ****.
As humans created and evolved the various gods from transcendent forest spirits "up to" personal spirits and finally a personal single deity with a strange family.

cicerone imposter

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 02:46 pm
@farmerman,
I found the christian god to preach contradictions. In one verse, he says "thou shalt not kill," then in another he says "kill." He then kills all on this planet except Noah's family. I don't see any logic in god's teachings when there are so many contradictions like this one.

God's flood certainly killed many innocent babies. He then instructed the Jews to kill Canaanites. It should make a christian's head spin in confusion.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 02:51 pm
@farmerman,
Yeah, I get it, Bible = Harry Potter

The inconsistencies in these lists are not usually scientific ones so that's not what I was thinking of. Usually it's logical inconsistencies or simple **** like 'this book says X number of people were there' and another book says y were there.
farmerman

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 03:20 pm
@Leadfoot,
I see, you want the math to be accurate. Im not so demanding . I cant check any of it anywqy.

I didnt equate Harry Potter with the Bible, jut the degree of fantasy content within both . One is to merely used to entertain qnd the other is there to teach lessons of morality.
0 Replies

onevoice

Wed 17 Aug, 2016 08:13 am
@CVeigh,
Fair enough.
0 Replies

onevoice

Wed 17 Aug, 2016 08:38 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
I dont think anyone criticizes the scientific inconsistencies in, say, Harry Potter books. It makes the story interesting that a huge passenger train can diffuse its metallic lattice and engage the energy side of its many properties, thuis allowing the train to show up on track 9/3/4 (or whatever track its on).

I have to admit that the scientific inconstancies in the Harry Potter series are quite fantastic to watch. My concern is that on the big screen things are becoming so unrealistic that there are many who on the little screen of their life are having a hard time distinguishing between fiction and reality.

Quote:
I see the Bible in the same light. Its a story of a peoples efforts to live in a world that appears to them to be without any order unless they can create something divine "in charge". The bogus science and hair raising tales are part of the"Big Picture" moral story with- in which the "main deity" operates.

I have to say farmerman, this really is a very well rounded view. It has a real "live and let live" vibe to it. I like that. Very Happy Though I apologize if I am intruding here. Just wanted to insert something here to think about.

We all know that waaaay back when.... There was a time that technology did not exist. No UPS postal service. No radio. No 120 channel cable packages. You lived where you lived. You went out as far as you needed to provide for your needs. Sure... there were communities formed and a level of socialization amongst themselves.

But think about how it must have been that very first time a tornado hit a community and destroyed it. Think about how absolutely insane the witnesses to that event must have sounded to those who had never seen or experienced anything like that before.

There are some things in life you have to actually see and experience for yourself to believe and understand. It is the only way.

cicerone imposter

Wed 17 Aug, 2016 11:12 am
@onevoice,
Traveling the world is the best education one can get.
onevoice

Wed 17 Aug, 2016 12:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I couldn't agree more! How I would love to travel to see some things I have yet to see and experience! Perhaps someday... Very Happy
cicerone imposter

Wed 17 Aug, 2016 12:37 pm
@onevoice,
Someday needs to change to some specific period in time. My wife and I are planning a trip to Hawaii for January or February in 2017. We also went to our local senior center yesterday, and signed up for a tour to Ghirardelli chocolate factory in San Francisco on Sept 10.