Trying to find out about this Chagall print

binman

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 03:44 am
I was given a Chagall print and I cant find anything about it and was hoping some one here would.

http://imgur.com/KiUMuER
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 998 • Replies: 7
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 04:40 am
@binman,
Seek out aCatalogue Raisonne of his color works in oil. Most of Chagalls really well known prints are his colored lithos and aquatints incorporating blues and yellows
I dont see any indication that it "signed by hand" so Id say this is more or less a POSTER of a Marc Chagall oil.
Isnt there a printers number on it or a source of the catalogue??
You should learn to search out the clues given you from the work
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 05:03 am
@farmerman,
PS, good, clean color lithos and etchings (aquatints) BY CHAGALL go for 15 to 30 K (numbered and signed originals.
Most of the posters had nothing to do with his personal attention like his line prints and crayon lithos.

Ive got a color etching of one of his thousands of versions of "I Villages" (Thats a big series of works in which he celebrates his Russian hildhood by reproducing farm animals (usually a sheeps head) along with his face and the villageall distributed in the background.

Outside of his stained glass windows these are his most recognizeable.
I bought mine while Chagall was still alive and I was just beginning a career. I recall it cost a lot then but weve kept it in a room away from direct light.
Your color poster will fade because the ink technology hasnt really kept up with itself. The best way to keep a color print or a poster, is to use UV stable glass . I wouldnt display it like a watercolor or a painting, Id treat it like any other print, keep it from fading.

I see many Chagalls and Picassos (posters)at yard sales for anywhere from 5 to 20 bucks
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 07:25 am
@binman,
Nothing more than it sure looks like a nicely framed poster to me that I'd find a place for and that I'd expect to pay less than $50 for as it is.

If I knew more about who published it, when, why, how many: I might have to expect to pay more. An art mounting would raise its value: paying a $100 to do that might raise its value by $150.

Can you find any printing on the poster?
binman

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 02:26 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
There was nothing on the print under the matting. I expected the name to be on the bottom or maybe the sides but no dice. But thank you for the idea.
0 Replies

binman

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 05:26 pm
@farmerman,
Its not a poster the glare in the photo is from the glass, it is a print. I will look for pics of his "I Villages" prints it would be awesome to know what series its from, thank you
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 06:03 pm
@binman,
if it doesnt have an original signature (t lleast) its still a poster. It looks like a color multilith of an oil painting. Most of those prints were churned out in the bazillions and , since the artist probably didnt have anything to do with its production(There should be a date on it and if its after 1983, Chagall was dead)

Look for some copywright notes or nymbers and the printers seal. "print" to be worth something , has to have an assoociation with the original artist (Chagall). There are tons of Picasso lithographs without Picassos original (PENCIL) sig. If Chagall signed it "In the stone" its still a poster.
We know that it was "printed", but its probably NOT a limited edition print with association to the artist (His signature means, at least, that he approved the print.
binman

Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 03:23 am
@farmerman,
Found it its L Ete thank you for the lead!
0 Replies