Famous Couples in Art Frida & Diego Rivera

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 01:08 am
Diego Rivera Web Museum

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/TEL/5134.jpg

This important artist and his artist wife are much in the news these days. I love his blending of Mexican style with the impressionst and modernist.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,755 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 03:49 am
I bought the book Frida before Christmas vacation but it's still in the stack.
Thanks for the preview... J
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 09:19 am
Gorgeous painting, JD......Another artist couple are Canadians
Christopher and Mary Pratt......Her career was rather sidelined
by raising a family(so often the case!), but she resumed it with
great zest and I believe can't keep up with the demand.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 10:07 pm
I was turned off to Frida in the late seventies when I saw a long, long, long documentary about her and her pain and her many many self portraits.

I might be more interested in Tina Modotti.

Frida might be some kind of art martyr. Please do not take my comments as anti mexican art...I have long been interested. And I am not so sure I am unhappy with Frida, but with that unending movie. But with that I saw a great amount - I thought at the time - of narcissism. With all her attention to herself, she doesn't need me.

Ok, that is my reaction. I could surely be wrong.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 07:28 pm
Alfred Stieglitz

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:22_QzVptmtUC:asylums.hihome.com/photo-gallery/stieglitz/tz30.jpg

Georgia O'Keefe

http://www.stockportmbc.gov.uk/primary/thorngrove/okeefe.jpg
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 04:40 pm
Frida
If you are wrong in your assessment of Frida, you are not wrong alone. I agree with all your points.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 05:05 pm
Paula Modersohn - Becker

http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/modersohn-becker_paula.html

and her husband Otto Modersohn

http://www.washausen.de/fischerhude/fhneu84.htm

are another couple I think worth to be mentioned.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 10:24 am
First, thanks to Osso for inviting me here - new here this week and enjoying it already.

Frida Kahlo was an amazing woman. I can imagine that a lenghty film about the ordeals of her life would have been "a little trying"!

I saw a one woman play about her life put on by someone with whom I used to do yoga. It was as exciting and involving as many of her pictures, if you see them in a gallery.

She and Diego Rivera must be the couple at the top of the art league table!

In terms of designers, however, rather than fine artists, Charles and Ray Eames take a lot of beating.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 10:59 pm
I have only seen one painting - in a calendar, probably - by Paula Modersohn Becker, and don't remember what it was but that I liked it. I had no idea about her husband. Well, I still don't as I am posting this before I look at the links.

Back after I look at them, to see if I recognize anything by her.

On the Eameses, yes!

hmm, there are other architectural couples. Somebody and Scofidio, and the people at Architectonica, names fail me. And Peter Walker and Martha Schwartz, who I think are not together now.

Hmm, Nancy Holt and Smithson?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 11:31 pm
Found some more links on Paula, and I have to say I vaguely remember seeing a copy of one of her pieces, but none on the links. It was a German Expressionist calendar I am remembering, one I bought in college, long before I paid real attention to art, but I liked it enough to cut it up and save the painting prints for years.

As I sped through the links, it looks like she wasn't too happy with Otto....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 11:35 pm
Some more of Otto - http://www.zum.de/Faecher/G/BW/Landeskunde/rhein/kultur/museen/blmka/ausst/reklame/modersohn.htm
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 03:42 pm
couples
To me the most famous artistic couples are Pollock and Krasner and the temporary couple, Motherwell and Frankenthaler.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 11:55 pm
Yes, those guys are certainly famous.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 06:39 am
Canadians Michael Snow and Joyce Weiland.........
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 11:34 am
I really enjoyed a book on Willem De Kooning and Elaine, his wife. She did an expressionist portrait of Kennedy.

The De Koonings were contemporaries of the Pollacks. De Kooning was generally accepted to be Pollack's superior, but Lee Krasner was a very tough-minded political player, who got Jackson the gigs that made the difference....
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 08:56 pm
I hear Diego was abusive.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 07:39 am
Talk about under the mushrooms cap, the lives of Thomas and Susan Mcdowell Eakins are an artistic parallel of the Clintons.
Susan Eakins work was almost an admission of affairs with Robert Henri.

Maybe not
0 Replies

zincwhite

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 11:20 pm
Frida
I Just bought the DVD Frida and it is very interesting. I like to put in a movie and listen while I paint, or listen to music. The movie actually has her painting throughout, along with Diego getting kicked out of New York for trying to paint Lenin on the Rockefeller wall. I am sure it takes artistic license with the facts as most movies do, but it also covered their political views and how they harbored a political exile until Frida had an affair with him. Diego was chronically unfaithful according to the movie.
/The art work is spendidly shown, and it captured the essence of being an artist, in that you paint because you cant stand not to.

I am next going to buy "pollock' has anybody got a comment on it? I have the documentary on Van Goghand Gauguin and it is inspiring to work to........ So I am on an "art movie" collecting kick... I never cared to watch many movies more than once, but these two are forever interesting.
0 Replies