BEFORE WE HAD T.V.

onyxelle

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 03:19 pm
Though I don't remember any times when there was no tv (it's always been color & cable for me) I DO remember time when I was a wee lass and I did not have to be kept company by the little box w/ the littler (word?) people inside it.

We would go outside, play made up games, hand-clapping games, physical games (freeze tag. IT!, fumble, kick ball, dodgeball) hide-n-seek, stuff like that....these days, kids don't know about that...it's sad. I've vowed to not let my kiddies spend their days inside in front of the tv or the pc...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 07:28 pm
I like that approach, onyxelle.
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 06:39 am
I agree with Phoenix that something is lost with television... I played outside a lot when I was little, but I was brought up with it...luckily I am a bookworm adn do a lot of art, so I didn't get over exposed.

They have shown now that for every hour over two hours a day (I think) of television a toddler watches, the chances of developing Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) increases by 10%. This is worrying as what type of adult population are we going to have?

A generalisation I know, but a thought...
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 06:40 am
Anyway, I would rather have made mud pies in the garden that watch TV anyday! Actually, I still think that could be good...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 06:49 am
This is no lie. On Jan 1 2000 I got rid of my TV and guess what? I don't miss it.
0 Replies

sparky

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:41 pm
I wish I could convince my wife that the TVs need to go. I grew up in a household with a mother dead-set against television. My wife's parents always have a TV on in their house - drives me crazy.

When I get home, the first thing I do is turn the TV off (it's usually on when I get home) and tell the kids to find something to do. They're usually watching SpongeBob for the 10,000th time.

I'm sure I could live without it. I'd miss The Daily Show and my F1 races. But I'd get over it. I might have to get my wife some TV-methadone to bring her down easier. It could get ugly Smile
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:43 pm
Hey Sparky,
It's not easy going cold-turkey. I used to watch logcutting championships at 3 am. I was hooked. But once you get rid of it you wonder why it had such a hold on you.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 05:27 pm
Holy crap! I just learned who was the voice of Mr. Ed, the talking horse. It was Alan "Rocky" Lane.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 12:55 am
I was five in 1948, and the first TV show I remember was "Howdy Doody." Even compared to today's low standard children's shows, I think "Howdy Doody" was bad. Bob Keeshan, who late played Capt. Kangaroo was the first Clarabell. So why was a male clown given a female name? Also, the theme song was a Can-Can tune, a little risque for a children's show, no?

http://www.howdydoodytime.com/images/100/3154412.jpg

My mother had the old radio soap operas playing constantly, and though I remember the names, I didn't listen to them much. Of course I remember "The Shadow," Stella Dallas, etc.

I liked the old Gunsmoke with Chester too, and I was sorry when they cancelled it, but Festus played a better sidekick, and the hour long Gunsmoke was one of my favorite programs ever. It never seemed to age like Bonanza, for instance.

I loved Roy Rogers as a kid, but that show like most of the early westerns don't hold up; they just seem silly. One exception is the Cisco Kid, and the reason is that the humor was built in. Granted, the Cisco Kid rode around in Mexican formal wear, but it was a beautiful outfit.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 03:17 am
The Shadow Knows, eeerrrrreeeek creak loved that show for it's intro. The Lone Ranger was great on radio it was the voice of course.
0 Replies

gl04

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 08:46 pm
Enjoying before TV
I do remember listening to Fibber McGee and Molly! Most of my young years were spent listening to country music. Real country music,not the noise we call country today. I got a 6 transistor radio by selling Cloverine Salve when I was about 9 or 10 and some thing happened!! I could pick up Cousin Bruce on WABC in New Your!! Rock and Roll!!! But more brain was used in the old times. We had to visualize and interpret and "see" with our minds. Today,a cell phone, a computer, TV, I Pod, Videos to watch while driving!! Camera Phones,all we do is sit on our cans and pay big bucks for gizmos that make us fat,out of shapr, and prone to early demise.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 08:50 pm
Welcome to A2,, gl04! Yep, todays "country" is elavator music.
I remember Cousin Brucie too!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 08:51 pm
What about video games, gl? They develop quick reflexes and a keen eye. Cell phones help us become better drivers, because it takes more brain cells to drive and hold a phone to our ear at the same time.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 08:54 pm
hee. hee. I can't drive and cell phone at the same time!
0 Replies

gl04

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 01:29 pm
Before TV
Thank you for the welcome Fealola! There was Cousin Bruce and the Jimmy O'Brien show at 1260 radio. Those were cool.
Edgar I believe the cell phone is actually theraputic for those that don't have them because we have to watch out for their driving. Seems like when one is on a cell they become unconscious. Life was so much simpler and better back then!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 04:30 pm
Them big old crank telephones took up too much space in the cars, seems to me.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 05:16 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Them big old crank telephones took up too much space in the cars, seems to me.

It was the wires running out the back that were the real problem. They'd get tangled in the bushes when you went around a corner.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 06:14 pm
Wires were a bit of a problem. My grandfather said that sending smoke signals from a car dwarfs all telephone problems.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 11:29 pm
Today while I was out garage sailing I saw and almost bought a 50s era radio and record player 78s with that thing to use for the 45 rpms.

It had tubes can you believe it?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 04:39 am
It's been a long time. Joanne.
0 Replies