I'm not certain how I feel about Robert Mirabal

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 09:59 am
I had the current edition of the flu this weekend which was unfortunate as it came in time for the PBS membership drive and the drivel that this supposed television-for-eggheads shoves on us, like Daniel O'Donnell, the fundamentalist Irishman who sings sappy songs of inspiration that are stomach churning at best and tunelessly rendered at worst: for a people that appreciate a tune as much as the Irish do, how did this guy ever get a foothold in the public conscience?

Anyway, after that off-my-subject tirade, I want to ask what people think of Robert Mirabal.

Mirabal, despite his unlikely name, seems to be Native American and his show was taped at Foxwoods. WHile it features gorgeous lighting and beautiful costumes, much of the dancing is clearly modern dance. And, of course, Native Americans are not quaint folk from a living history museum, but active and up-to-date people.

Mirabal is a flute maker and some of his instruments are on display in the Smithsonian. He uses both traditional and modern machine techniques.

However, he seems like a "sensitive new age stud" who says all the right things on stage and wears skimpy but traditional costumes.

I couldn't decide whether I thought him the Native American Yanni or a male Cher (in terms of flesh exposed through numerous changes).

I also can't decide if a show like his does good or harm to Native peoples.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 850 • Replies: 0
No top replies