Problem with a 3 prong socket for oven

sondrum

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 08:08 pm
Hello;
My wife was cleaning the stove & then it didn't work, when I removed the
cover for the socket, there were two wires, a bare wire in the middle, & another power wire not hooked up. I picked the wrong breaker to shut off, so one of the center bare wire touched one of the power wires, & it started to fuze a bit. I then turned the right breaker off & hooked the two power (black wires) to the outer sides, & then the bare wire to the center. These were the basic position the wires held, when I removed the cover although as I said the two were not hooked up.
After everything was hooked up I turned the breaker, but there is no power coming out from that. So the question is there was power, but what happened, why now that it's hooked up, is there nothing? I checked it with a meter.

Thanks, in advance for any input.
Sondrum
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 746 • Replies: 12
No top replies

engineer

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 08:43 pm
@sondrum,
Just to be clear, you closed the breaker, checked the power at the outlet with a meter and you get nothing, right? Did the breaker stay closed?
sondrum

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 09:02 pm
@engineer,
Hello;
Thanks for the reply. Yes I flipped the breaker back on to restore power. Then checked the wires with a voltage meter, & there's nothing. So why was there power when I was getting ready to work on it, but not after I hook the wires back up. As I said there was a bit of fusing when the neutral or bare wire touched the one power for a couple seconds.

Thanks;
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 09:26 pm
When your breaker is on, do you have power at the breaker itself?
sondrum

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 09:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
Well, everything else on that breaker circuit is working.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 10:45 pm
@sondrum,
But if you put a tester to the wires connected at the breaker, do you get power?
sondrum

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2016 05:21 am
@edgarblythe,
When I try the plug wires, that are controlled by that breaker although there's power to everything else on that breaker, there isn't power from the wires of the plug of concern. I removed the box cover so I going to the wires themselves also.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2016 08:02 am
So you have to track down a possible short. I would go back down the line of plugs lights and switches on that circuit and open them up one at a time and see if they are making contact. It may just be that the short loosened a connection, rather than burning the wires. I would start with the one nearest the dead outlet.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:27 pm
Revisiting my last reply, there should be only the oven on that circuit, which narrows down the places to look for the problem to just two.
engineer

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
It also means you aren't looking in the right place. The outlets you are testing which you think are upstream of the oven outlet are likely on another circuit.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2016 02:44 pm
@engineer,
I corrected that on my last post, I thought.
sondrum

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2016 08:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
Although the problem circuit seemed to be switched on & I had flipped it back & forth a number of times (I did that with all of them), I went to the box today , clicked the problem circuit off & then back on again & it works. Apparently it just needed to be more fully snapped off & on I guess. Really I thought I had been doing that all along. The good news it's working & my re-assembly of the plug wires have the range working again. Also it was a different circuit than I thought. It was on it's own 40 circuit.

Again, I appreciate the help;
Sondrum
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2016 08:34 pm
@sondrum,
That's an easy mistake to make. Thanks for letting us know how it turned out.
0 Replies