I have a personal question of a family member

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 09:31 pm
I have a younger family member that's in their early 30's who has been unemployed for over an year out of state. I am asking on their behalf because they are quite prideful and they lack internet access. My question is can they get food stamps if they still have several thousands in a bank account or will they be denied?

chai2

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 09:37 pm
@Grillbone15,

You get food stamps when you have no money to buy food.
Grillbone15

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 09:49 pm
@chai2,
So I guess that means they would be denied if they tried to apply now?

I read a person has to make less than $150 per month or have no more than $150 in their bank account I believe.
0 Replies

Peter Frouman

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 11:16 pm
@Grillbone15,
In most cases, the asset limit to be eligible to receive benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (more widely known as "food stamps") is $2250 or $3250 if one member of the household is disabled or age 60 or older. Many states exclude a certain amount of the value of the first motor vehicle. See http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/eligibility for more information. However, many states have implemented a broad-based categorical eligibility (BBCE) policy that makes certain households eligible for SNAP if they are eligible for other benefits. For BBCE, Idaho, Maine, Michigan and Texas have an asset limit of $5000, Nebraska has an asset limit of $25000 and all other states have no asset limit.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/snap/BBCE.pdf has more information
0 Replies