Down on Luck, need help with questions

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 08:01 pm
Can any one tell me a little about welfare? The internet really does not explain it. I am a single person - with no job Unemployment has been taken away from government. I just got on food stamps. Can anyone answer some questions
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,409 • Replies: 6
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 08:09 pm
@svillecyahoohick71,
Someone might be able to help. You will have to give them your State, of course.
svillecyahoohick71

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 08:30 pm
@roger,
SC thank you. I have never been on a forum
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 09:04 pm
@svillecyahoohick71,
Here are some websites about social services in SC and how to apply for them:

http://www.benefits.gov/benefits/benefit-details/1677

https://dss.sc.gov/content/customers/index.aspx

0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 09:04 pm
jcboy wrote:

I found this on the web. Do you have children?

South Carolina Family Independence

Quote:
Program Description
The South Carolina Family Independence (FI) program provides assistance to needy families with children and provides parents or caretaker relatives with job preparation, work, and support services to enable them to leave the program and become self-reliant. It is the policy of the State of South Carolina that personal responsibility and parental responsibility must exist if citizens are to attain independence. The welfare system is based upon a reciprocal agreement between welfare recipients and taxpayers because it is to the benefit of the citizens of the State to transition recipients from welfare to work. The State will temporarily support needy parents if they will undertake appropriate steps to attain employment and self-reliance. Family Independence assists families to become economically independent, provides tools to achieve and maintain self-reliance, and deters abuse of the system through fair and meaningful sanctions.
General Program Requirements
In order to qualify for this benefit program, you must be a resident of South Carolina, either pregnant or responsible for a child under 19 years of age, a US national, citizen, legal alien, or permanent resident, have low or very low income, and be either under-employed (working for very low wages), unemployed or about to become unemployed.
Your Next Steps
The following information will lead you to the next steps to apply for this benefit.
Application Process
To apply for this program, please contact the local administering agency near you:
http://dss.sc.gov/content/about/contact.aspx
Program Contact Information
To phone the South Carolina Department of Social Services (DSS) about Family Independence, please call:
800-768-5700

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 10:09 pm
In my state, if you just got on food stamps, you are already "in the system."

You can apply for medicaid for health care.

There are emergency one-time funds for able-bodied, unemployed, single adults. But not on-going support funds.

0 Replies

BeHereNow

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 07:36 am
@svillecyahoohick71,
SC is not moving forward with Medicaid Expansion.
This means no Medicaid if you are not disabled, have no children.

SC does not have a General Assistance program, cash assistance for single individuals.

Housing help for single individuals is extremely difficult, I doubt it is available in SC, if it is, expect a multiple year wait.

There are many welfare programs, but not available for those without children, elderly or disabled.

States have no money for work programs for people without their children in their home.

Food stamps it is.
If there is something you "heard about", I can look it up for SC, and tell you why you are not eligible.
I have been a welfare eligibility worker in two states, and am well versed in researching specific programs in specific states.

The vast majority of welfare money goes to the chronic users of the system and those with children where the adults do not want to work, although certainly some of the adults do want to work, but they are a minority.
The rule of thumb is 'no children - no welfare', although there are many exceptions, food stamps being the big one.

0 Replies