PLAYBOY!! (yesterday's NYT Sports section)

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 10:02 am
The sports section of the new york times had a 1/4 page add for this month's issue of playboy, which features high jumper amy acuff and other wimmin olympic ath-a-letes.

now i know, in no uncertain terms, that the apocalypse is upon us...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 779 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 02:04 pm
i jazzed up the title in an effort to drum up some responses...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 02:22 pm
Pant Pant! I'm here!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 02:26 pm
I read it. I thought it was really interesting points about fitness being seen as sexy in a new way, actually. I was a multi-sport athelete in H.S., very fit, and would now be called ripped, and I was actually somewhat embarassed about it at the time. I didn't mind being skinny, but I wished my leg muscles weren't quite so defined. And guys did say that they were intimidated by the muscles.

(Clarification -- these were just standard muscles, think a short women's pro b-ball type. Not, like, body-builder, which is icky IMO.)

Also points about passive doe-eyed Anna Kournikova (sp?) and more active portrayals of athletes in Playboy.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 02:29 pm
Uh, Soz...How YOU doin'? Wink

sozobe wrote:
I was a multi-sport athelete in H.S., very fit, and would now be called ripped, and I was actually somewhat embarassed about it at the time. I didn't mind being skinny, but I wished my leg muscles weren't quite so defined. And guys did say that they were intimidated by the muscles.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 02:31 pm
WAS, dearie, past tense... ;-)

(Starting to run again regularly and that's fun but Athena days are behind me...)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 02:45 pm
(Just realized I misread it -- there was an ARTICLE about playboy, didn't realize you were talking about the AD. Sorry.)

Here's the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/15/fashion/15NYAD.html

(Incidentally, could there be a better name for a champion swimmer than "Diana Nyad"?)
0 Replies