Disney Threatens to Boycott Georgia Over Anti-Gay Bill

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 01:22 pm
21st Century Fox, Time Warner Now Join Disney, Viacom, AMC Opposing Georgia Anti-Gay Bill
Quote:
21st Century Fox and Time Warner are calling on Georgia's Gov. Nathan Deal to veto anti-gay legislation that claims to be a "religious freedom" bill. These major corporations do business in the Peach State, including Time Warner's HBO, Warner Bros., and Turner, which includes Atlanta-based CNN.

Disney Threatens to Boycott Georgia Over Anti-Gay Bill

So? Can corporations be more effective at boycotting these anticivil rights legislation then an x number of private citizens? We'll find out I suppose. What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 22 • Views: 11,660 • Replies: 92

McGentrix

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 01:45 pm
@tsarstepan,
I don't think corporations should be determining legislation. If they don't like it, they can take their business elsewhere, but trying to blackmail a state shouldn't be tolerated.
boomerang

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 01:54 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
I don't think corporations should be determining legislation. If they don't like it, they can take their business elsewhere,

And that's exactly what they're doing.

The NFL has already said they will not allow Georgia to host the Super Bowl if these laws pass.

I think it's great.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 02:05 pm
@boomerang,
Me too, of course.

I admit it's a tad odd to me. I'm from an old, and I do mean old, Disney family. My aunt and uncle both worked there, uncle the treasurer, for whatever time. I remember her as an older but still sharp lady rueing all the waste baskets full of cartoon drawings.
But I also have some stuff against Disney over the years, some of it fairly personal.

Ah, I'm pleased to see this.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 02:11 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Quote:
I don't think corporations should be determining legislation. If they don't like it, they can take their business elsewhere,

And that's exactly what they're doing.

The NFL has already said they will not allow Georgia to host the Super Bowl if these laws pass.

I think it's great.

What they are doing is making threats to change legislation. I said they shouldn't do that. They don't want to have to actually see these threats through, thus the blackmail.
boomerang

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 03:04 pm
@McGentrix,
They just said they won't film any more movies there.

They don't like it so they're taking their business elsewhere. They have every right to do that. It isn't blackmail. The state can decide which is more important to them.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 03:11 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

I don't think corporations should be determining legislation. If they don't like it, they can take their business elsewhere, but trying to blackmail a state shouldn't be tolerated.

Seriously, how is Disney NOT doing exactly what I bolded in your statement?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 03:19 pm
@McGentrix,
It's done all the time, though it's usually businesses saying they'll go away if they don't get the tax benefit they want.

People and businesses throw their weight (economic/financial) around regularly.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 03:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
I hope they also take on North Carolina and Alabama.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 03:44 pm
@McGentrix,
Seems that CITIZEN"S UNITED Doesnt always meet your needs and expectations eh?
McGentrix

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 03:47 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

McGentrix wrote:

Seriously, how is Disney NOT doing exactly what I bolded in your statement?

Because they haven't actually done jack **** other than to make threats?

What has Disney moved from Georgia? Do you have a list handy?

You understand the difference between a threat and an action, right?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 03:49 pm
@farmerman,
I've never supported it, so no. Corporation's aren't people. People are people. People vote, people consume goods and services.

If corporations decide to boycott something, that's great. Their choice to do so. But don't just threaten it to get your way. **** or get off the pot.
Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 05:25 pm
How odd . . . conservatives don't howl when corporations get special tax breaks from states eager for their business. Conservatives don't seem to have a problem when states pass "right-to-work" (anti-labor union) legislation to attract corporate business. But quash anti-gay legislation? Maw . . . fit ma shootin' iron and ma white sheet, the freedom haters is at the door.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 09:09 pm
@McGentrix,
The Supreme Court dosent agree with you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 02:36 am
By the way, as i'm sure everybody here recognizes, thsi is just political grandstanding--politicians attempting to burnish their conservative credentials in the current election cycle by appealing the the American Taliban. Any legislation which substantively discriminates against homosexuals will get shot down the first time someone takes it to court.
revelette2

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 06:13 am
@Setanta,
I hope so. I don't know if you remember, but I have made no secret of the fact that I am Christian with the traditional values. But, nothing scares me more when the lines between church and state get blurred. I am afraid in that state, the line is disappearing altogether.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 06:16 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
**** or get off the pot.

The point of threats (or unfriendly negotiations) is to get people to change their minds before doing something drastic. Georgia has more to loose than Disney in this instance.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 06:19 am
That old hypocrite Jefferson sent his "wall of separation" letter to the Baptists in Danbury, Connecticut, who were complaining about the established church in that state.
woiyo

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 06:36 am
@Setanta,
Actually, conservative actually think and consider the choices THE PEOPLE have as a result of legislation passed (or under consideration) at the State level.

The PEOPLE of Georgia elected these representatives and as a result of the legislative actions, the PEOPLE will decide how to deal with it. A Corporation has choices also. Many companies leave State due to tax policy. Many companies stay because legislation is passed to provide better tax policy for companies.

Then THE PEOPLE get to decide if they agree with the legislature.
revelette2

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 07:19 am
The Walking Dead Joins Disney and Marvel in Taking a Stand Against Georgia’s Anti-gay Bill [Updated]

Quote:
Why it’s a shrewd show of support from the House of Mouse.

Update (March 23, 3:30 P.M.): AMC has joined Marvel and Disney in taking a stand against Georgia’s controversial religious-liberty bill. The network films its most popular show, The Walking Dead, in the Peach State, and, in a statement to the Los Angeles Times, said, “As a company, AMC Networks believes that discrimination of any kind is reprehensible. We applaud Governor Deal’s leadership in resisting a previous version of this divisive legislation and urge him to reject the current version as well.” Though the network’s language isn’t as conclusive as Disney’s, AMC pulling The Walking Dead could strike an even bigger blow to Georgia. In addition to creating local jobs, the hugely popular show has had a massively beneficial impact on the local tourism and housing markets.

The original article continues below.

Marvel Studios and its parent company, Disney, are threatening to pack up their superheroes and go home if Georgia governor Nathan Deal signs the pending religious-liberty bill into law. The bill, introduced by Senator Josh McKoon and passed by legislators last week, would protect religious officials from having to perform same-sex marriage ceremonies and would allow faith-based organizations to deny services or employment to those who violate their “sincerely held religious belief.” This anti-gay legislation has inspired Disney and Marvel to hit Deal and Georgia where it hurts: right in the wallet.

Georgia has used tax incentives to entice high-profile Hollywood productions like The Walking Dead and several of Marvel’s superhero properties to film in the Peach State. Last summer, Governor Deal boasted about Georgia’s partnership with Marvel, saying, “Ant-Man employed 3,579 Georgians, spent more than $106 million in Georgia, and utilized 22,413 hotel rooms during filming.” The commissioner of the Georgia Department of Economic Development, Chris Carr, chimed in with the larger picture:

More than 100 new businesses have relocated or expanded in Georgia to support the [film and TV] industry, creating jobs for Georgians as well as economic opportunities for our communities and small businesses and ensuring Georgia’s place in the industry well into the future.

On Wednesday a Disney spokesman made that future a little more uncertain, saying, “Disney and Marvel are inclusive companies, and although we have had great experiences filming in Georgia, we will plan to take our business elsewhere should any legislation allowing discriminatory practices be signed into state law.”

Though Georgia legislators passed the law last week, it has faced opposition from local business groups, and Deal himself said weeks ago that he would reject any legislation that “allows discrimination in our state in order to protect people of faith.”

But even though the bill was already headed toward a gubernatorial veto, over the weekend Chad Griffin, president of the Human Rights Campaign, urged Hollywood to send a strong message to Georgia. Calling the bill “wrong,” “un-American,” and “an affront on all the values Hollywood prides itself on,” Griffin told attendees of the H.R.C.’s annual Los Angeles gala, “You have the influence and the opportunity to not only defeat this bill, but to send a message that there are consequences to passing dangerous and hateful laws like this.”

So probably, this is more about Disney and Marvel sending that message than actually defeating any legislation. And it’s likely that any credit the studios get once Deal does veto will be somewhat misplaced. Still it’s an important message to send and a strong one coming from a company that, between kid-friendly cartoons, Star Wars, and Marvel, has such a firm grip on our popular culture.

I do have question, when it says the bill would protect religious officials from performing same sex marriage ceremonies, does that mean private preachers in churches would have to perform same sex marriage ceremonies, or civil servants who happen to have religious objections to same sex marriages? If it is the first, I agree private preachers (pastors, whatever) should not have to perform the ceremony if it is against their religionist beliefs, if it is the latter, they should get another job.
0 Replies