Disney Threatens to Boycott Georgia Over Anti-Gay Bill

revelette2

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 09:42 am
@Setanta,
Thanks, I had to look up the Fourteenth Amendment, but I understand, pretty clear now. Your right, if taken to court, chances are they would loose.

Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution

Quote:
Obergefell v. Hodges (2015) regarding same-sex marriage. The amendment limits the actions of all state and local officials, including those acting on behalf of such an official.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 10:08 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Disney has the right to operate where ever it feels like. As do most companies in the US and abroad. But, they do not have the right to try to alter the legislative process of the state they work in. They can hire lobbyists to work the representatives to vote for the change they want.

Corporations try to alter the legislative process everywhere in the US, local, state and federal. They hire lobbyists, write model legislation, promise business in return for incentives, warn of dire consequences if certain laws are passed, etc. Disney's comments are pretty much right in line with typical business practices - make your local less friendly to our business and we will leave.

Georgia's governor veto's bill: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/georgia-anti-gay-bill-veto_us_56f93d5de4b014d3fe237e2a
McGentrix

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 11:44 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

McGentrix wrote:

Disney has the right to operate where ever it feels like. As do most companies in the US and abroad. But, they do not have the right to try to alter the legislative process of the state they work in. They can hire lobbyists to work the representatives to vote for the change they want.

Corporations try to alter the legislative process everywhere in the US, local, state and federal. They hire lobbyists, write model legislation, promise business in return for incentives, warn of dire consequences if certain laws are passed, etc. Disney's comments are pretty much right in line with typical business practices - make your local less friendly to our business and we will leave.

Georgia's governor veto's bill: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/georgia-anti-gay-bill-veto_us_56f93d5de4b014d3fe237e2a

So we are in agreement then? It's hard to tell.
engineer

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 12:21 pm
@McGentrix,
Not really. I think there is a role for corporations to lobby the government. I'm not with the "corporations are people too" crowd, but clearly businesses are essential parts of the makeup of our country and they can articulate concerns that the typical American won't see. I do worry that the ability of a corporation to influence policy is many times greater than the ability of a concerned citizen. The best we citizens can do it to elect representatives that look at the lobbying efforts of corporations and see which ones are a net positive for the community and which ones benefit a corporation at the expense of the community.

I think that Disney saying one of the considerations in deciding where they make movies is the climate for LGBT rights and if you pass this law, you effectively take yourself off the list is fine. It is the same as saying if your tax rate is too high you're off our list for a new factory. That happens all the time. Now the representatives have to decide if that "threat" outweighs the "benefit" to society of the law they passed. My opinion in this case is there is no benefit to the Georgia law (or the worse NC law that is not getting the same press coverage), so this one is a no brainer.
BillRM

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 09:34 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
, but trying to blackmail a state shouldn't be tolerated

LOL corporations are tax paying 'citizens' and have the same rights to pressure the state as any other 'citizen'.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 09:37 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Corporation's aren't people

Oh and here I always been under the impression that even before some of the last SC rulings they was consider persons with legal rights,.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 10:28 pm
@woiyo,
It seems somewhat similar to what the republican congress is doing with their gridlock. If people don't like it, they can always replace them. A recall would be in order.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 10:45 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Not really. I think there is a role for corporations to lobby the government. I'm not with the "corporations are people too" crowd, but clearly businesses are essential parts of the makeup of our country and they can articulate concerns that the typical American won't see.

So we both agree that corporations can lobby for legislation that benefits them. We also agree on the rest of this statement.

engineer wrote:
I do worry that the ability of a corporation to influence policy is many times greater than the ability of a concerned citizen. The best we citizens can do it to elect representatives that look at the lobbying efforts of corporations and see which ones are a net positive for the community and which ones benefit a corporation at the expense of the community.

Here is where we start to drift apart. Corporations should be looking after themselves and their employees. The employees vote for legislators who are supposed to represent the wishes of their constituency. When the people want a law passed, and it gets passed, it's no longer up for lobbying or debate. Corporations have no business worrying about the "community".

engineer wrote:
I think that Disney saying one of the considerations in deciding where they make movies is the climate for LGBT rights and if you pass this law, you effectively take yourself off the list is fine. It is the same as saying if your tax rate is too high you're off our list for a new factory. That happens all the time. Now the representatives have to decide if that "threat" outweighs the "benefit" to society of the law they passed. My opinion in this case is there is no benefit to the Georgia law (or the worse NC law that is not getting the same press coverage), so this one is a no brainer.

Does this only work for companies you agree with, or are you saying that this is OK for any business?

I agree that if a company decides conditions are no longer profitable for them that they can pack up and move. No one is stopping them. Companies do that all the time. But, never has been for some greater good than profit. I don't want companies deciding what is "right" for a community and what isn't. If they wanna take their ball and go home, nothing stopping them.

The law as written would have ZERO effect on Disney in any way shape or form. So, for them to decide to grand stand on this issue is hypocritical at best. Were I Georgia, I would point to the border and say "see ya." and see if a single company takes them up on it. I doubt they'd get many takers. They are in Georgia for a reason.

Though I guess with Disney's money, they probably don't really care where they film or do whatever.
engineer

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 01:43 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Does this only work for companies you agree with, or are you saying that this is OK for any business?

I'm saying it is the way it is. Sometimes I agree with the company, sometimes I don't but as you say, it is their money and if they wanna take their ball and go home, nothing stopping them.

McGentrix wrote:
The law as written would have ZERO effect on Disney in any way shape or form.

Disney disagrees. They hire locally and bring in talent that is impacted by local laws. They clearly feel that discriminatory laws make their job harder and given that they can shoot just about anywhere, it's not worth the hassle.

McGentrix wrote:
Were I Georgia, I would point to the border and say "see ya." and see if a single company takes them up on it. I doubt they'd get many takers. They are in Georgia for a reason.

Yes, NC tried that with the film industry. In a period of one year, just about all the filming in NC dried up. Convention and film business is very mobile and Georgia knows that. (NC apparently doesn't.)

McGentrix wrote:
But, never has been for some greater good than profit.

Not, so. You can always argue that there is profit in there somewhere, but I leave you with this story of corporate action for social justice.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 01:47 pm
OK, things are heating up in NC. The NC law is slightly different than the Georgia one. Here, it bans local governments from passing anti-discrimination laws or minimum wage hikes and comes in direct response to a Charlotte ordinance. Today the Democratic attorney general (who is running for governor against the incumbent Republican) announced that he would not defend the state against the lawsuit just filed against the law because the law is unconstitutional.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 01:54 pm
@engineer,
^^A little bit of faith in humanity restored.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 09:48 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
When the people want a law passed, and it gets passed, it's no longer up for lobbying or debate. Corporations have no business worrying about the "community".

Unless it's Obamacare? So all those companies suing over Obamacare are wrong in your opinion?
boomerang

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2016 01:59 pm
Quote:
Just two weeks after announcing their plans to “open a new global operations center” in Charlotte, NC that would “employ over 400 people in skilled jobs,” PayPal has abandoned the project due to the state’s recently passed legislation that overturned every single anti-LGBT-discrimination measure in the state.

In a statement released Tuesday, PayPal President and CEO Dan Schulman called their decision a “clear and unambiguous one,” explaining that “the new law...violates the values and principles that are at the core of PayPal’s mission and culture.”
maporsche

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2016 02:05 pm
@boomerang,
I'm sure McG is totally cool with this decision since it's no longer a threat and they've actually taken action.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2016 03:54 pm
@parados,
We're all waiting for McG's response.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2016 03:59 pm
@boomerang,
That's really a slap in the face to the governor who crowed about getting PayPal and is from Charlotte.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2016 04:11 pm
I presume McG is on vacation with his family now. I have my differences with him on politics but I hope they all have an excellent time running around..
I mean that nicely. I'm more a slow traveler but I get their choices and await hearing about how it all goes.
engineer

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2016 05:55 pm
@ossobuco,
The Boss decides to cancel NC concert because of HB2.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2016 06:06 pm
@ossobuco,
I was wrong about that, their trip is in the summer. Oops.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 11:28 am
@ossobuco,
Major European Bank Cancels 250 Jobs and $9 Million Expansion in North Carolina Over Anti-LGBT Law